Insatiable appetite today

Options
Hey everyone! Facing a challenge today that I come across, in some form or another, at least once a week. If not everyday, haha.

My meal plan goes something like this during the week:

Breakfast: Around 6 am, as I am getting ready for work.
Mid-morning snack: Around 9 am.
Lunch: At noon-12:30 pm.
Mid-afternoon snack: Around 3pm.
Then I either have a small pre-workout snack if I go to the gym before dinner, or I will have dinner then gym later in the evening.
After dinner snack: Relaxing at home around 9 pm.

Today I've gone through all my packed snacks and meals and it's just 1 pm here! I have until 6:30 pm before I go home. But I STILL WANT TO EAT EVERYTHING. I just have an insatiable appetite today. I am full, as in I don't feel hunger but I WANT ALL THE FOOD.

What do you guys do on days like this? Do you ever get them? I try to drinks lots of water but nothing is working today. Should I just have my weekly cheat day today and indulge in this feeling? I'm going to be over my calories for sure anyways as I know I will not be able to make it to 6:30 pm to have dinner without eating something. I eat clean everyday but have one day where I am less strict and will have a cheat meal. I also need to consider that this week was a bad work week for me and I've been emotionally stressed because of it, so it might just be taking it's toll in this way today. It might be a day to just indulge and treat myself?

Let me know!

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The long term solution is to start eating all your calories, instead of leaving over several hundred every day.

On Tuesdays, I have dance classes. I don't think I have ever eaten all my calories on a Tuesday. On Wednesdays, I am ravenous and if I am not prepared for it, will end up with something for the vending machine. If I prepare, I can eat at my goal, or slightly over.
  • shortchange1
    shortchange1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    This usually happens to me after a day of HIIT or a long aerobic workout. If you don't want to go too far over your caloric intake, have some broth based soup, or a huge plate of plain vegetables or salad without dressing etc.

Otherwise, think of it as your body needing more nourishment and have some extra protein, some nuts or nut-butters, good quality grains and don't worry about going over an arbitrary calorie count for a day. It won't harm you.
  • Ladylouwolf
    Options
    We all have those days ! I truly believe it is emotional craving from the stress . Are you getting enough calories/carbs./good fats to sustain those workouts? I always end up eating too little and not adjusting enough with my exercise. Hope this helps and know your not alone :-)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Embrace the suck. You don't need to eat just because you feel like it.

I was ravenous yesterday when I woke up. I hate eating early. So I just sucked it up.

An hour later, all fine.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I totally have days like that and they're usually for one (or more) of these three reasons:

1) Stressed or bored - emotional eating is horrendous! You may even think you're hungry because you feel worn out but as you've figured out already, you're actually full, you're just "mentally" hungry.

2) Day of or day after a hard workout - I don't know what the science behind this is but I assume it's part of the afterburn effect so although I eat plenty of food (eat exercise calories back or TDEE-15%), it's still not "quite" enough.

3) PMS/TOM

So give yourself a break, these days just happen. One trick I learned in WW years ago is to really think about what you want to eat and find that. If your body is saying "I really want a brownie" then go ahead and have a brownie or you'll end up eating everything else at hand and still feel unsatisfied.

For instance, yesterday I had a really tough workout and immediately wanted cake or something. I had my lunch and part of my snack thinking that'd calm me down but it just didn't cut it. Finally figured out I needed to just give in to the craving so I went down to the cafeteria and got a cookie. Felt MUCH better afterwards and even ended up eating less than I planned to the rest of the day. So eventhough I indulged, I still met my goal for the day.
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I had a insatiable day yesterday, my thinking was to get some fiber to feel full. I first tried to satiate my appetite with some high fiber snacks which did not do it then I took some psylium fiber capsules not the best thing in the world but they were on hand that helped me get to my next meal after that balanced meal and the fiber I felt pretty good.
  • kaylakaminski
    Options
    I totally have days like that and they're usually for one (or more) of these three reasons:

1) Stressed or bored - emotional eating is horrendous! You may even think you're hungry because you feel worn out but as you've figured out already, you're actually full, you're just "mentally" hungry.

2) Day of or day after a hard workout - I don't know what the science behind this is but I assume it's part of the afterburn effect so although I eat plenty of food (eat exercise calories back or TDEE-15%), it's still not "quite" enough.

3) PMS/TOM

So give yourself a break, these days just happen. One trick I learned in WW years ago is to really think about what you want to eat and find that. If your body is saying "I really want a brownie" then go ahead and have a brownie or you'll end up eating everything else at hand and still feel unsatisfied.

For instance, yesterday I had a really tough workout and immediately wanted cake or something. I had my lunch and part of my snack thinking that'd calm me down but it just didn't cut it. Finally figured out I needed to just give in to the craving so I went down to the cafeteria and got a cookie. Felt MUCH better afterwards and even ended up eating less than I planned to the rest of the day. So eventhough I indulged, I still met my goal for the day.

This is a great post. Thanks.

I am doing TDEE-20% and yesterday really pushed myself for my chest workout - maybe this is why? I'm going to try to wait it out and see how I feel. I usually have my cheat day Friday or Saturday so I am not opposed to giving in today as it is Friday but this would be more of an issue to me on Monday, haha.
  • pkinblue
    pkinblue Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    When this happens I drink a large mug of hot decaf tea. Often I am actually thirsty which comes across as hunger. If that doesn't fix it and its been about 30 min. I figure I need to eat something. If I am bored or tired I eat something with a little fat to satisfy the need for something rich. If I am stressed out I eat air-popped popcorn for the crunch factor.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Are you physically hungry or just bored hungry? There's a big difference and if you can learn to tell them apart it's a good thing to know. If you're honestly having hunger pains and can say that all emotions aside you need the food then eat more.
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I was like that on Sunday. I think it happens to all of us and is only normal.
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    I was there yesterday. Go for volume - fresh raw vegetables with humus works great for me, or celery with salsa and yogurt. A tossed salad with meat or tuna will fill your stomach without adding a lot of calories.

And I agree with the others - eat all of your calories. If this happens often your body is telling you it wants more.
  • marissastephens13
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you today! Ugh. Already over my calories, but I was just starving!! Today will be my cheat day. I wonder if for some reason we have miscalculated and we have been eating too few calories? I mean, I was SO hungry this morning. Don't beat yourself up about it and don't weigh yourself in the near future. Just get back to your regular routine tomorrow, I suppose. I will have to do the same :).
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I always have an insatiable appetite. :embarassed:
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Think hard about what you're craving . . . if you just want your mouth occupied by something, probably best not to eat. But if you're craving something in particular, it may be a sign from your body that it needs some legos to build with...
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    I always have an insatiable appetite. :embarassed:

please let me sleep.
  • kaylakaminski
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback and support. My boyfriend wants to take me out for sushi tonight, so it will end up being my weekly cheat anyways so I don't feel bad about the excess calories anymore :tongue: Back in the weigh room tomorrow and eating clean!

Thanks everyone.
  • snowmanluv
    snowmanluv Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    great idea about the broth.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Dairy fills me up like no other. Post workout if you can't fight hunger just mix in a scoop of protein protein with 1-2 cups of non-fat plain yogurt... I seriously can't even eat all that... cottage cheese is the same way. I get a lot of volume out of veggies. I'll do broccoli and it's only 25 calories per serving and you can make a broccoli soup if you just put it through a blender with a broth.. I tend to use light alfredo sauce for that. I completed my journal for the day, but I think I'm going to use 0 calorie miracle noodles with, banana peppers, and an egg...

You just have to find food that fills you up. Carbonated waters tends to bloat stomachs to feel artificially full... caffeine is an appetite suppressant..

FYI this is coming from a guy who has cheat meals that are in excess of 7,000 calories.. no offense. Some of you ladies feel guilty eating 2,000 calories one day a month.