whats your thing?

Options
What motivates you???

some look in the mirror and just get disgusted, so their own selves motivate themselves.....
some look at their kids and wish they could run and play with them etc....
some just are tired of being overweight etc....

What is it for you?

I'm struggling here because Yes, i'm tired of being overweight....YES i love my kids and want to be more interactive with them....and YES i look in the mirror and can be self motivated due to not finding myself the most healthiest in the world....

BUT

here's my problem...I've always been a secure female and comfortable with myself....I've always known that inspite my weight, i'm a beautiful woman....so i lose the spark real quick...I need to find ways to stay motivated....

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    My motivation is that I've lost 30 lbs twice and gained it back twice and have looked back at both those times and been disgusted at how much I weighed, and yet I let myself go. Both my parents have been obese my whole life and I DON'T want that to be me. I want my kids to have a better chance at a healthy lifestyle so I have to start now before they're in the picture!!
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Do it to become healthy, thats why I do it. I'm very self confident, but I know that inside, my weight is causing a toll on my overall health. That's numero uno in my book.

Gotta dig deep and get the strength to just do it because it's good for you.

Motivation comes and goes, so staying motivated is good, but I'm not motivated, I'm DETERMINED! Determined to beat my weight and show myself-- no one else-- but myself that I can do it. And so can you.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    a combo of things. I come from an area where ufortunately you get destroyed mentally if you have any wt on you. Its not hollywood bad but I have been turned away by bartending jobs and guys for not being thin enough. I also have the disgust with myself. But ultimately I want to have a good quality oif life in my golden years
  • NicolePayne
    NicolePayne Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was never happy with my weight, but was secure enough in myself to accept the size I was at and just go on. But in the past few months I have had results come back on bloodwork that really got to me (730 tryglicerides, 824 protein in urine, and still dealing with high blood pressure after the birth of my 2nd child 19 months ago). I couldn't deny anymore that I was cutting myself short for my husband, my kids, and especially myself. I wasn't dedicating to myself what I was to them, and when the doctors started showing concern, I knew then I didn't have another excuse.

I won't say that I "had" to do something, because I could have just continued down the same road of overeating and not excercising. I made the "choice" to not go on a diet, but just better how I take care of myself by eating better, excercising more, and being more aware of what I put into my body. So far I have lost 11lbs, and go to get blood work done this week to see if there has been any improvement in my numbers...

I can understand finding it hard to find a reason, just use yourself as the reason. You are secure and confident, but image how much better you will feel, and the boost you will feel from that alone. But don't put it into your head that you "have" to do it, because then you will never fully commit to it. GOOD LUCK!! :happy:
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    I just have to overcome the slump I guess....I remember myself thin and yes i know i was happier and healthier.....I just have to really work on it and cross over the slump of "why does it matter"....
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Look at your ticker! 16 lbs in 2 months! That's fabulous! Girl, you got this! You just gotta keep on keeping on. And it gets hard for EVERYONE! Please know that you're not the only one who struggles. Ya gotta do this for you. Don't think of it as a diet, but a "lifestyle" change, improving who you are as a whole..... Good Luck!
  • jenjerwey
    jenjerwey Posts: 8
    Options
    I have hated the way I look for a long time but was never really motivated to lose weight.....I like eating way too much. I would say that I needed to lose weight and would sort of watch what I ate but it only lasted a few days. A couple of months ago I was being silly and tried to skip and I couldn't. I couldn't get my feet off of the floor. My knees hurt.......my hips hurt.......I COULDN'T skip. That really bothered me! That was the point I decided I better start losing weight now before I gain so much weight that I can't exercise.That scared me a little. I have now lost a total of 11 pounds and feel so much better. I am now running on the treadmil a little (something that I haven't been able to do in a looooong time) and I can fit into a smaller size already. I know that it sounds cliche but I take one day at a time. I know that I have a long way to go to get to my ultimate goal but if I make little goals then that's easier. This website has helped too. I log my food and exercise daily........even if I don't want to, I still do it. Good luck and hang in there. We can do it!!!
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    My grandpa and my dad have had heart problems due to being overweight, the main thing is being there for my kids and not having heart problems
  • CudyBug
    CudyBug Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Im with you. All those bothered my but then I just figured o well one day ill do it and right now Im going to focus all my attention on my children. I got to a high point of 200 lbs and that was enough to do it. Then I started to think that I do have more time then I though. My kids are not babies anymore and they pretty much entertain eachother and I end up sitting on my large butt watching tv or on the computer anyways. might as well do something for me. We spent the last 2 and half years struggling like ive never beleived we would. It was more embarassing to me then being fat. We ended up living with my MIL (if you wanna call it living) for 9 monthslast year. In a city I moved away from because it sucks and I didnt want to go anywhere or take my kids anywhere. I was seriously depressed beyond belief. Cried every night. Once we moved I steped on my scale (that was packed away) and saw that 200 and was just overwhelmed. Found a website (not this one) was using it and loast 20 lbs right away. All the hard work Ive put in I just can NOT quite and I am NOT a quiter.

At first I was pretty nanchalant about it. Figured if i lose good if not o well. I started seeing the effects of it I hooked. Im happier and more confident. Im still way big and not nearly close to being what i was before kids but I see myself wearing things I bought last year that werent baggy enough for me and feeling nice in them now (even though I look th same as when i bought them). Its just weird. Then the bigger kicker for me is that I finally have my husband agreeing to another baby (which ive been trying for 5 months now to get him to agree) and I want to look cute and pregnant. Not the woman that everyone has to wonder if thier pregnant or not becuase they are so fat.

I know it kinda seems like a waste (or to mealittle) to lose all that weight just to get pregnant and gain some back but I know that this lifestyle will continue when Im pregnant. I actually was eating great with my second child because I was avoiding insulin shots (I had gestational diabetes with both babies) and I ended up losing 25 lbs, so I know I wont slide when I do eventually become pregnant ( next april, so it will be a year after my start of all this when we TTC).

Anyways hang in there and maybe once you see how great you look and feel you will be more motivated.
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    I currently have a heart condition, but its not due to weight....what I do have, due to weight is diabetes and alot of fluid in my body....I get tired of taking medicines which is where i'm motivated at right now, but for some strange reason, i'll be super motivated 1 week here or there but then i'm like blah, it doesnt really matter...

thanks for all your insight though...its helpful to look at others going through the same battle...,.
  • slg334
    slg334 Posts: 25
    Options
    For me, I'm the exact opposite...I have always been a chubby child and as I grew up, I settle for being a beautiful big girl, I mean I had the bbw confidence going on when I was a teen. At 20 years old, I noticed that my weight was getting out of control and so I decided to go on a diet and lose some weight before my 21st b-day and I did. When I was a kid, doctors always had me on diets but I never committed until I was ready to. After losing those 16 pounds for my b-day, I decided to keep going with it, and did taebo for a whole year, losing about 80 pounds. In 2005, I lost another 20 pounds, and I was happy, at least I thought. Fast forward to today, I'm gained over half the weight back, and I'm not that secured teen girl no more. I hate being overweight, I don't go anywhere no more. Everytime I look in the mirror, I ask myself, how did I allow myself to get back here. This makes me want to work out and eat right and then sometimes it makes me want to go to my comfort food. When people doubted me in the pass, that motivated me to prove them wrong. This pass weekend, I confided in my friends, that I was tired of being this big, I gained 60 pounds within 5 years. I told them I wasn't happy and didn't feel too good about myself and I didn't get the support I was looking for. After I said, I need to lose about 10 pounds, then maybe I would go out again and feel better about myself image...I told them I'm working on myself now, I'm going to lose this weight and one of my friends, said "That's what you always say Sylvia". That did it for me, cause I love to prove people wrong. That was said on this past Saturday, I worked out Sunday, Monday morning, monday evening after work and this morning. Now I have to show them that I'm serious. When you want something so bad, you would do what you have to do, just get it. I want this bad, I want my life back, I want to the sociable one. I use to cut a rug when I went out but I'm so self conscious now, thinking people are judging me..it's not a great feeling at all.
  • mrsfloisand
    mrsfloisand Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    My motivation that keeps me eating healthy, working out every single day, and staying positive is my husband and myself. My husband is my best friend and I want to know that I am there for him, not just as a wife but as a friend. Honestly, I think about it, I was SO SO SO self conscious, I hated going out in public, I never wanted to go anywhere or do anything that could draw attention to me. I was cutting him short of being able to have a life and experience things as well as myself experiencing new things.

As for myself, I was so sick of hating what I seen in the mirror, hating the size of clothes I had to wear, hating the numbers that showed on the scale, and constantly being so tired. I finally realized that its not going to change on its own, I had to do something. I want to be a fun wife that is always ready to go out and do whatever and I want to some day to be the mom that's awesome because I have muscles and am able to out run my kids. I want to show that I actually can get to the goal weight I have and stay there because there are so many people that doubt I can get there.