$20

Options
chunkydunk714
chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
Your fridge is empty and you dont get paid til next week....

what would you buy to feed your family?

(serious question) I moved and all my extra money went towards moving expenses and now Im totally broke. Not used to this so having only $20 to my name is kinda stressing me out a bit. I have my kids this weekend but lucky for me the're going to their dads house for a week starting monday...

Replies

• kelseystew
    kelseystew Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Maybe a vegetarian stew or something. I make a Morrocan Stew and it is pretty cheap to make and makes a ton! Probably enough for a few dinners, then banana and some yogurt on sale or breakfast, and maybe peanut butter and jam sandwiches for lunch? Not sure where that all comes into for a total but some ideas anyway :) Good Luck!
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    A big pot of chili can work for a couple of days worth of meals (ground beef, beans, tomatos would probably run $8-10).
    Breakfast can be pancakes or even cereal.
    Soups are inexpensive ready to eat and homemade soups are even less expensive to make.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Chicken Thighs in bulk are really cheap (sometimes less than $1lb).
    Couple bags of frozen veggies (or if your store is having a sale on fresh that's a better option).
    Bag of potatoes.
    Bag of apples.
    Low Sodium Seasoning Salt.
    Loaf of bread (for toast in the AM).
    Carton of eggs.
    Bottle of cooking oil or spray (whatever is on sale)

Obviously, somethings can be omitted or substitued, but that would get me and my BF through a weekend easy.

If there is an Aldi near you, go there. I find I can buy the same amount of stuff there than I can in the regular grocery store for 1/2 the price.

Good luck hon. Been there done this, it's not fun.
  • fluffykitsune
    fluffykitsune Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal ~ $3
    Peanutbutter ~ $2
    Milk ~ $2
    Carrots ~ $2
    Rice ~ $2
    Loaf of Bread ~ $1
    Big Box of Cheerios ~ $3
    Chicken Breast ~ $1.80/lb

Uhhmm..
    Idk.
    I put peanut butter in my oatmeal and on my bread. C:
  • lexiesmom78
    lexiesmom78 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like to make a pot of chilli. You can even freeze portions. A carton of eggs and fruit on sale. Remember you can always go to a food pantry. Everyone struggles here or there. I am a single mother and when I had to repair my suv and I went. It saved my butt. That's why they are there.
  • JambaGrl
    JambaGrl Posts: 3
    Options
    Check the end caps at the grocery store and the "Manager Sale" section for meat and bakery items. There are small "marked down" sections all over Safeway and King Soopers - just look in the nooks and crannies of the store. Also, name brand food companies pay extra to have their cans/boxes stocked at eye level. Look on the very top and bottom shelves for off brands that are WAY cheaper. Buy cereal in bulk (you can get big bags at most grocery stores) and then get a can or two of evaporated milk. Mix the milk with some water so that it's not so thick (usually it's one part water, one part evaporated milk). I swear if you refrigerate it and pour it on cereal, you won't notice the difference. Also - look online for FREE meal coupons. Just check, it never hurts. If you sign up for a membership at some restaurants, you get a free food item on your birthday month. (Red Robin, Noodles and Co.) Go back to the "college basics" - Ramen, Mac n' Cheese, Hot Dogs.
    This is just a season. It may seem tight and panicky but every season passes. If this season stretches on for longer than anticipated, check a local church because A LOT of them run food banks. Hope that helps from a fellow "budgeter"!
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    does your store do shop from home? i do that first just to see the brands that are cheapest by unit price instead of staring at them in the aisle, it's easier to find the cheapest options, then instead of ordering it online just go to the store and buy those items.

i would get bread, plain quick oats, peanut butter, some frozen or fresh in season veggies (will be cheaper). maybe get some plain broth and make a soup? that can be pretty cheap. if you have flour already you can make pancakes and put pb on them, or put fruit and pb in the oatmeal thats good too.
    pasta is pretty cheap as well, and if you get tomatos to make a soup (diced or canned or frresh whatever is cheaper) you can make a sauce with it as well or just buy the cheapest canned sauce.
    whoever said aldi, i agree if there is one near you they have pretty cheap food. or a dollar store even, just check the expiration but the food is fine i buy it all the time.
    check the meat dept for like chicken or something, you can prolly find some cheap options (i dont eat meat so not sure how much it costs)
    but yea i would go with making oatmeal with fruit for breakfast, maybe eggs too the store brand is cheap, bread for toast
    lunch make sandwiches with pb or something
    dinner make a soup or pasta dishes
    ramen noodles, if needed use another sauce bc the seasoning is sodium, but maybe like a soy sauce instead with veggies

as others have said, hit up local churches to see if their pantrys are open when youre available, been there done that.
    good luck!
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    Chicken Thighs in bulk are really cheap (sometimes less than $1lb).
    Couple bags of frozen veggies (or if your store is having a sale on fresh that's a better option).
    Bag of potatoes.
    Bag of apples.
    Low Sodium Seasoning Salt.
    Loaf of bread (for toast in the AM).
    Carton of eggs.
    Bottle of cooking oil or spray (whatever is on sale)

Good luck hon. Been there done this, it's not fun.

Having been in exactly this spot, this was my go-to list -- you can bake the chicken for a meal and then make a nice huge pot of soup if you boil the left-over chicken and bones (strain out the bones before you add the veggies) and throw the leftover veggies and some potatoes in there. I'd add a gallon of milk (it's about half price if you buy it on the due date and still makes great French toast and custard).
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you have a store like "Aldi's" in your part of the country, but it's designed for low-budget or gov't assisted populations.

I'm fortunate to not fit in that bracket, but produce there is just as good as anywhere else and it's usually a fraction of the cost to even stores like Walmart.

Otherwise: bread, butter, water.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I def. appreciate all the thought that went into the responses and yes, I totally made my list and I dont feel as depressed as I did when I woke up this morning!

Thank you all soo much :flowerforyou:
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Ramen noodles, bread, peanut butter, jelly, butter, crackers, eggs.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    www.5dollardinners.com

this will feed you for at least 4 dinners......but you can always do brown rice and beans....or even spaghetti sauce with zucchini noodles, add mushrooms onions with a little garlic. Trust me there has been times where I only had 20 dollars a week to go shopping for my dad and me, and the discount grocery stores are where its at! You can even get name brand foods there for super dirt cheap
  • Kristi_Stringer
    Kristi_Stringer Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    taco soup is good too. Any soup really. You can make it cheaply and make enough to last a week
  • WolowitzTimestwo
    WolowitzTimestwo Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Rice and beans. Dried beans and generic bag of rice ( get brown rice if u can). They take a while to cook from scratch, but I don't think there is a cheaper, healthier food source. Add some vegetable or a few pieces of a cheap cut of meat.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Tortilla soup is easy, and can be really cheap when you do the beans yourself.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian chili (beans, onions, peppers)
    Breakfast for dinner
    Baked pasta and salad
    Egg salad
  • bonjalandoni
    bonjalandoni Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Your fridge is empty and you dont get paid til next week....

what would you buy to feed your family?

(serious question) I moved and all my extra money went towards moving expenses and now Im totally broke. Not used to this so having only $20 to my name is kinda stressing me out a bit. I have my kids this weekend but lucky for me the're going to their dads house for a week starting monday...

Rice, beans, eggs, chicken and veggies. Spaghetti too but use chicken instead of beef. tomato based chicken soup with carrots, potatoes and celery. :-)
  • Jayne19099
    Jayne19099 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Split pea soup! You can do a veggie version if you can't afford ham (chicken tastes AMAZING too). Use bought stock and a mixed spice pack (Spice is important or you are going to eat bland soup, blah). The soup has plenty of protein and will keep you full for cheap. I love it and it's my go to crock pot soup. Hubby loves it too.
  • KtotheD78
    KtotheD78 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Eggs - $1.50 or less
    Loaf of bread - I've seen it for $1-$2
    Peanut butter
    Rice - both of my daughters (6 and 10) love rice (I think a box is $4)
    Noodles $1 with spaghetti sauce $2-3 extra
    Cereal $4
    Milk $2
    Ramen $1
    Shop at your local dollar stores, too
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Most kids love spaghetti and pancakes. I ate them frequently as a child and never knew it was because of money.