Need advice from other moms

I have a 7 month old that I am currently breastfeeding. I was curious how other moms adjust their calories and eating habits based on nursing. I find that my appetite is insatiable and I always end up going over my daily calories. I add the 500 calories from breastfeeding each day. I guess I am looking for advice or encouragement because I want to shed this weight!

Replies

• Shawnzgirl78
    Shawnzgirl78 Posts: 148 Member
    I did some google research - you are supposed to be eating at least 2-2500 calories per day
  • I eat around 2,020 a day. My guess is I need to up my protein intake.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Of course you must eat more when breast feeding and I would say eat what you need. However, when I was pregnant, and later breastfeeding, my high carb diet was the reason for my insatiable appetite. Also due to my diet, my child did not get the best advantage developmentally. A healthier, lower carb, higher fat diet, will help get your hunger under control and possibly improve your and your baby's health.

Edit: 2000 calories per day when breastfeeding seems too little to me. My TDEE is 2000-2200 and I'm not breastfeeding.
  • Hello there! I am new here, but I couldn't help but reply to your question. I went through the same thing you are last year when I had my baby. I am not sure if it would work for you, but what worked for me was to drink a lot of water. I would generally drink about 10 or so 8 ounce glasses of water a day and found that the water alone helped satiate my appetite and I noticed a lot better milk production.
  • briggsy13
    briggsy13 Posts: 161 Member
    you caloric need is going to change based on your height, weight etc. Then you would add the extra calories. Are you using the ones added into MFP under foods? It will give you a negative calories adding extra to your days amount. They have all sorts in there. LIke if your 7 month old is eating some solids etc. If you are still hungry I would agree with the other post about increasing your protein and your water. Drink it like crazy. If you are still losing even while going over then you might be able to bump it up some and still be losing and not be so hungry. It will be a fine line though usually. Good Luck!!!
  • I agree with the idea of increasing your water intake. I think I had to add 300-500 calories per day when I was BF'ing, and as I weaned my kids I just had to cut back on those calories as they started nursing less. Staying hydrated helped me maintain my milk production and prevented me from eating too much. Once my kids were weaned, I was naturally less hungry.
  • I am noticing lots of moms suggest drinking more water. I normally get 10 glasses a day I think. I will be increasing that for sure. Thanks all!