Mental Reset Needed - Calorie Adjustment

Options
Even when I average higher days out with the average ones over the course of the week, I'm likely undereating for my activity level. Trusted sources say to average around 1500, but if my days go much over 1300, or the average for the week is 1400 or higher, I get anxious. I'm sure I'd have more energy and not be as crabby if I ate more... but I keep doing it anyway. Why?

Because so far, it's working. I went from losing maybe 1lb a week to 2, pretty regularly. I'm tired/hungry, but I'm getting by. I know how I could healthfully add more calories to my diet, and I'd feel less restricted because I'd have more room for things I LIKE and not just what I feel I have to eat (like treats... and bread) It's not that I don't know what to eat. It's MENTAL. Why do I have such a mental block on eating more??!

And yes, I got fat eating way more. Before I cared/tracked, who knows how many cals I had in a day. A lot. But now that I am tracking, and working out, I'm focused on keeping 'on track.' At least once a day, and often after dinner when I'm still not satisfied, I say "oh f this, I'm going over today." But I rarely do, because it's not worth it. Plus, I tend to keep weekdays pretty low so I can have bigger weekends, and still not kill that weekly average. (1200-1300 weekdays, 1600-2000 weekends). I'm afraid if I'm higher weekdays, I'll have less wiggle room on weekends... but want to have them anyway and start gaining.

Anybody else been there? What helped break the mental cycle? Did you have to hit a plateau before you changed anything? I may be there now- I've stayed about the same all week despite having all "good days." But I know a single week doesn't indicate anything.

What damage am I causing by doing this- maybe I can be scared straight? I can look at all the "I upped the cals and started losing again" threads, but those are mostly after stalls, which so far haven't. Yet.

Do I just need to jump in and bump up to 1400-1500 for the sake of doing it a couple weeks, trusting in the system, even if I gain a bit at first? Don't know where to go from here to still see results...

Replies

• duckiec
    duckiec Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Guess I'm the only one. Does that make me a special snowflake? :)
  • jcartwright2008
    jcartwright2008 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Try increasing your calories a little at a time. I get crabby too if I don't eat enough. That's about the only suggestion I got :flowerforyou:
  • mathera26
    mathera26 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Everyone is a little bit different, I'm glad this works for you and you have tremendous willpower to stay on track. I worry about you spiraling in a negative direction though (anorexia/bulimia) if you are so afraid of going back to the old you. I agree with jcartwright20 that maybe just add a little bit at a time. Find one low cal snack to eat every day to help boost you up like a stick of celery and peanut butter.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, my suggestion is to up your protein levels. If your working out, you're not feeding your body enough protein to repair itself after exercise. This could also help with the crabby feeling you are experiencing, and will also help you feel fuller longer. That is what I have done anyway, I usually try to double my protein macro especially on gym days.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I had similar issues at first. For me it was a control thing. I finally was taking control so I was going to control the crap out of it. I know I have control issues so once I recognized I was doing it I backed of, did some research and did what the 'experts' said to do, which was eat more. I lose 1-2 pounds a week.

As far as what you're doing to yourself the way you're eating now - I believe this is a lifelong change so if you're depriving yourself now you may be more likely to over compensate food-wise when you reach your goals and begin maintenance, which could cause you to gain. I prefer to approach it in a way that I can sustain for the rest of my life instead of 'dieting' and 'maintenance.' The progress is a little slower but I think it's more natural and easier to maintain in the long run. Nothing scientific here, just a lot of research and trial and error!
  • mathera26
    mathera26 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I had similar issues at first. For me it was a control thing. I finally was taking control so I was going to control the crap out of it. I know I have control issues so once I recognized I was doing it I backed of, did some research and did what the 'experts' said to do, which was eat more. I lose 1-2 pounds a week.

As far as what you're doing to yourself the way you're eating now - I believe this is a lifelong change so if you're depriving yourself now you may be more likely to over compensate food-wise when you reach your goals and begin maintenance, which could cause you to gain. I prefer to approach it in a way that I can sustain for the rest of my life instead of 'dieting' and 'maintenance.' The progress is a little slower but I think it's more natural and easier to maintain in the long run. Nothing scientific here, just a lot of research and trial and error!

^^ THIS TOO!