Help...anyone do their workouts first thing in the AM?

Options

Replies

• Shereta5
    Shereta5 Posts: 13
    Options
    I wake up around 5;15, work out around around 6 for an hour usually. I only have coffee and water before i workout.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I have a coffee and half a banana before my morning workout
  • spikesmom
    spikesmom Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I do an hour of spinning at a very intense pace at 5:45 in the morning, and I eat nothing until I get home. I will then have a cup of coffee with a scoop of protein powder, and nothing until lunch. I hasn't slowed me down. There is a website called leangains.com and this man is ripped! He talks about intermittent fasting and he only eats for an 8 hour window a day. He's doing well, so I guess it can't be too bad :)
  • nsre1976
    nsre1976 Posts: 19
    Options
    Hi, I work out from 0630-0730hrs, I never eat before just keep very hydrated during training, mine is split cardio and weights though.
    I was told that if you train for upto an hour it is fine on an empty stomach as for the first hour you are using the naturel resources stored within your muscles, glycogen or something I think!?!? Anyway over an hour your body then can start to eat away at fat/muscles.
    Been working fine for me, I have put on muscle and losing fat! Assuming you are not reducing your calories too much I think you are fine... Good luck, Hope that helps!
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    When I work out early, I dont eat anything. I feel REALLY nauseous if I do.
    I just have some water throughout my workout and sometimes a mint or 2 (makes my room temp water taste cold :wink: )

I have my breakfast after, which is usually pretty big (loaded protein shake or egg white omelet with meat, cheese, veggies and salsa)

I havent had any ill effects and my bf% has gone down...
  • 111orBust
    111orBust Posts: 41
    Options
    I'm following an IF plan and don't open my eating window until midday. So by the time I get to my morning cardio, I haven't consumed anything for 12-14 hours.

The ONLY thing that has ever affected my performance is dehydration so now during my fasting hours I drink a lot of water and on waking I drink 500ml.

Best thing about exercising on an empty stomach is NOTHING tastes better than that first post-workout meal.
  • Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I've never had problems working out in the morning. That goes for jogging, spin class and strength training. Everyone has an opinion about how everything you're doing is wrong, don't take them too seriously, just listen to your body.
  • M_miller0507
    M_miller0507 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Best thing about exercising on an empty stomach is NOTHING tastes better than that first post-workout meal.

This is so true. The hard boiled egg and oatmeal I have every morning taste incredible.
  • asouza369
    asouza369 Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks everyone....this helps a ton! I'm only doing 30 minutes of weights/cardio...my energy is ok so I'll keep it going and maybe on some days add a half a banana or nuts....You guys are great!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I really think this is one of those "depends on the person" things. I can't imagine there's a serious performance difference that doesn't just stem from the person's feelings of "makes me sick" or "can't do that while my stomach is growling."

Do what feels right.
  • minijag06
    minijag06 Posts: 70
    Options
    I workout at 3:45am and don't eat prior too. I think I would puke if I did! I have a protein shake afterwards. I love the morning workouts - it's like a big cup of coffee!!!!
  • Jenniferlynnmcbee
    Options
    I've always heard that it is more efficient if you exercise in the am. I exercise at night just because that's the only time I can. And Ive noticed that when I'm tired, that's when I run the longest...I guess it's a mind thing : )
  • Coach_T
    Coach_T Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I workout in the morning and i drink Whey Protein about 15 min prior to my workout.
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I get up about 6am. I dont eat anything, I try to drink some water. I do the 30 day shred and done. I shower, get ready for work, get my daughter ready and fed. I eat when I get to work....about 9am. Some days I'm hungry and I'll eat a banana before leaving for work.

I cant eat that early...but thats just me!
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I'm also an a.m.-er and I don't eat before my workout. I do, however, drink water before and during my routines.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I NEVER Eat before I workout because it makes me nauseated. Even a Banana or a yogurt.
    You just have to figure out what works best for YOUR Body, then DO It. I do always eat as soon as possible AFTER I workout.
  • difabu
    difabu Posts: 143
    Options
    I CrossFit every weekday morning at 6 a.m. The only thing I can tolerate on my stomach is a Green Superfoods drink (drink powder with 16 ounces of water) with a bit of flax seed powder added. Keeps me hydrated, has enough calories (100 or so) to keep me from getting hungry or nauseous during the workout, and isn't heavy enough to make me feel sluggish.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I run very early in the morning in the summer to beat the heat and avoid the sun.
  • tmcoyle
    tmcoyle Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hi, I workout between 4-5 a.m. and I never eat before I workout. I tend to get nauseated if I workout during the day after I eat. I just stay hydrated while working out. I drink the Results & Recovery Formula after my intense workout to ensure my muscles are not used as energy or a high carb protein smoothie.
  • Strawberryblonde123
    Options
    I also work out at 5 am. Hadn't been eating either prior to my work out (just wasn't hungry) and I had read the same thing that you had posted (can't remember where I had seen it, teambeachbody.com?) Anyway.... I started drinking 5 oz of my Protein drink right before my work outs (currently on day 83 of P90X) and I started loosing weight again. Yay! Not sure if it was actually that or joining this website, but in less than the 2 weeks that I've been a member on here I've lost 10 lbs. Prior to that I was at the same weight for over 60 days while doing my P90X Doubles routine.