Protein Powders - General Questions etc..

Options
Hi everyone, I am putting this out there to get some help on protein powders! I was originally told to use Casein because I said I get very hungry before bed. I started using that in the blender and it was actually really good! I even started using that after workouts, p90x etc.. but then the guy at GNC said that's not always the right thing to take during the day. I purchased a smaller different type of whey protein for after workouts (Cookies & Crème flavor), but it doesn't mix as well in the blender and I usually just end up with a milky kind of water.

I really want to find a good mint or chocolate mint flavored protein powder so I can trick my mind into thinking I am having something awesome..but there are so many different kids!! Does anyone have any recommendations (mint recc. would be great! but anything helps) To be more specific, I am not really trying to "bulk" up - this is just for protein and after workouts :)

Thanks so much!!

Replies

• AMYJK7110
    AMYJK7110 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Hydro Whey, Turbo Chocolate. It tastes really, really good and mixes well. 30g protein 140 calories 1g fat 2g carbs 210g sodium/ per 1 scoop.
    I mix mine with almond milk and a few ice cubes and it seems like I'm drinking a shake. :)
  • CreativeFedora
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey, double rich chocolate. I find that the chocolate flavors tend to be much more tasty than others.

This is my post work out shake, it's rather yummy!

12oz 1% milk
    61g protein powder (2 scoops)
    1Tsp natural peanut butter
    Banana (usually 120g)
    Ice
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I use Syntrax Matrix. They come in lots of flavors Banana Cream, Cookies and Cream, Orange Cream, Creamy Vanilla, Milk Chocolate, Mint Cookie, Strawberry Cream, Perfect Chocolate, and Simply Vanilla. Matrix contains a combination of 3 different high-quality proteins: whey protein, micellar casein and egg albumin (egg white protein). For the different flavors you may have to purchase them online as stores will usually stick with the basics.

Whey Protein is a Quick Release protein that is the fastest metabolized source for just before or after a workout. Whey protein is absorbed better in the body than just eating protein like chicken, so if you're working out adding a protein shake is a good option.

Egg Protein is a Medium Release protein that is the highest quality (and most expensive) source of protein.

Casein is a Sustained Release protein that is the slowest metabolized source great for providing amino acids to muscle tissue over an extended period of time (good to take before bedtime)
  • kriswilcoxen9
    Options
    It seems like I've taken every Protein Powder on the market. Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard is great and very popular. Currently I am taking About Time Whey Isolate and Love it. It has a very subtle flavor because it doesn't have any added sugar. My guess is that alot of protein supplements use alot more sugar than they claim to use to get it to taste better and since these thigns aren't regulated by anyone they can get away with it. The idea of eating Casein protein does have some validity, it is a slower digesting protein so the idea is that it will keep you fuller longer than whey because it is a fast digesting protein. My wife currently uses Intek Evolution Cookies and Cream which has Egg, Casein, and Whey and she can use it as a meal replacement.

If you like bananas, freeze them and add them to 8oz of Almond milk, a scoop of protein in a blender for a great milkshake.