Does Cardio build muscle?

Options

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    No, in general if you are in a caloric deficit you will actually lose lean muscle from cardio (If you also strength training and get enough protein it will limit the amount you lose though)
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    You should do both weights and cardio.

Cardio:

Cardio strengthens your heart and lungs and increases blood flow throughout your body. It is good for your brain and your muscles. And you will build muscle, depending on what type of cardio you are doing. I cycle and have major leg muscles--and very lean legs. The same goes for running--you will strengthen the muscles that you use.

Strength training:

As another poster correctly said, lean muscle burns (metabolizes) more calories than fatty tissue. Translation: if you increase the percentage of your body weight that is lean muscle, you will naturally burn more calories.

As far as what you should do, I would add at least 2 days a week of strength training (notice I did not say weights). Depending on what you have available to you, you can do:

Upper: dumbells can be used for the entire upper body workout--bench press, incline press, shoulder press, reclining overhead extensions, "nosebreakers" (for triceps). you can also use straight bars, or pulley systems too. Start with light weights and high reps (15-25) and add weight each set.

If you don't have weights, do pushups, pull-ups (hard, I know), use elastic bands to do curls, etc.

Lower:
    Lunges (no weight needed), squats (no weight needed), step-ups (box or step), straight leg raises, leg curls, etc.

If you keep moving from exercise to exercise without resting (known as a circuit), you will keep your heart rate elevated and add a cardio workout to your strength training.

Exercise in general speeds your metabolism, burns more calories and tones and tightens the muscles under your skin. Do core--abs, crunches, bicycles, planks, etc. If your ab muscles are tight and strong, your tummy will look flatter.

It would be helpful for you to have someone show you some exercises--preferably a trainer or someone who knows what they are doing.

Good luck!
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    No, cardio never builds muscle, look at Lance Armstrong's legs :noway: Look at any cyclist's legs. They also strength train, but usually not heavy for them. The power and volume comes from the bike.

Yes, biking at a heavy resistance or biking hills builds muscles - see my profile pic. I don't lift anything. Not because I have a problem with it, because I don't have time to do everything.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    A month is gone in a snap of the fingers.

Chose your mid term goals, define a program to get there and start yesterday.

The idea of "I want to see results in a month" sells DVDs and shakes but it rarely works long term. And if you are going from nothing to 100 mph you are likely to hurt yourself.

But, if you do just want to do it that way, any single program will show 'some' results in 30 days.
  • mathera26
    mathera26 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It is my personal belief that you can't go wrong no matter what you do... I would advise not being a slave to the scale though, I haven't lost a pound in weeks since I started weight training but people are suddenly coming to me with that "wow! I almost didn't recognize you" look on their faces.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Building muscle takes a stupid amount of time and effort. A calorie deficit without resistance training causes the loss of lean body mass. I do not understand why people would sacrifice muscle just to see the number on a scale move and then plan on trying to regain what they lost.

You would be much better off to preserve what you already have while losing body fat. That is done with a calorie deficit and resistance training. Resistance training does not have to be weights in a gym. It can be body weight exercises, or adding resistance to what would be considered cardio. Like riding a bike up hills, sprints, HIIT. Weights are just easier to add small increments and keep your body adapting to the increased resistance.

The answer is NO, do not wait to start your resistance training until you lose a certain amount. You will spend an enormous amount of time and effort trying to get back what you already have now. Start today.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    If your goal is looking better in a bathing suit--cardio--lots of it and vary it as much as you can--walking, swimming, rowing, running, dancing, etc.
    Yes, cardio builds muscle but you won't bulk up. You will get leaner as long as you don't increase your caloric intake at the same time and develop more stamina. Lifting--heavy lifting especially-- coupled with cardio will, improve appearance even more. If you couple cardio with a good weight program, you will be able to carry more weight without appearing overweight--needless to say, you will be stronger too. For simple weight loss cardio with a good diet will produce faster weight loss and a slimmer you in fewer minutes put in. 5 lbs. in a month is probably a more realistic goal. You really want a gradual weight loss coupled with a good exercise program and a well managed diet. And, keep this in mind--you don't want to diet per say--you want a permanent lifestyle change. That is sensible eating with good caloric management and plenty of exercise. Dieters loose weight and put it back on.
    Those you manage their calories and activity for the rest of their get much more satisfactory results. Also your weigh in is but a tool.
    Watch your inches--especially around you waist and hips. Many people on a good program look thinner without loosing the weight you would think. This is especially true for those on a good program that combines cardio with weight training.
  • helcart01
    helcart01 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bump for reference. Very interesting!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Building muscle takes a stupid amount of time and effort. A calorie deficit without resistance training causes the loss of lean body mass. I do not understand why people would sacrifice muscle just to see the number on a scale move and then plan on trying to regain what they lost.

You would be much better off to preserve what you already have while losing body fat. That is done with a calorie deficit and resistance training. Resistance training does not have to be weights in a gym. It can be body weight exercises, or adding resistance to what would be considered cardio. Like riding a bike up hills, sprints, HIIT. Weights are just easier to add small increments and keep your body adapting to the increased resistance.

The answer is NO, do not wait to start your resistance training until you lose a certain amount. You will spend an enormous amount of time and effort trying to get back what you already have now. Start today.

^^ This
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. But, are you people crazy? Have you ever seen a professional soccer players legs? They rarely do resistance training and their legs commonly are like tree trunks. How do you think they get that? they run, run, run.
    Have you seen a professional sprinters legs? Now they do a fair amount of weights. But, back in the day, they did not and they had huge legs.
    My brother just played soccer and ran hills when he was in high school, and he developed almost 25 inch thighs.
    I knew a lot of guys who bicycled in high school, and their thighs just exploded.
    Granted, the key here is that these guys were male and they did these activities during adolescence, when a male's testosterone level is high and growth potential is immense. But, clearly, you can build serious muscle doing cardio -- intense cardio.
    Most males who build huge muscle lifting weights do so during adolescence too.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Food builds muscle.

exercise developes it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. But, are you people crazy? Have you ever seen a professional soccer players legs? They rarely do resistance training and their legs commonly are like tree trunks. How do you think they get that? they run, run, run.
    Have you seen a professional sprinters legs? Now they do a fair amount of weights. But, back in the day, they did not and they had huge legs.
    My brother just played soccer and ran hills when he was in high school, and he developed almost 25 inch thighs.
    I knew a lot of guys who bicycled in high school, and their thighs just exploded.
    Granted, the key here is that these guys were male and they did these activities during adolescence, when a male's testosterone level is high and growth potential is immense. But, clearly, you can build serious muscle doing cardio -- intense cardio.

Last 2 words there nailed the reason and ability on the head.

You must overload a muscle with tension for body to feel the need to make it stronger.

The sprinters, not the marathoners.

The bike sprinters, then short time trialists, then long time trialists, then heavier mountain men, then avg road rider - even in pro -peloton there are big differences.

Soccer players compared to Austrian rules foot-ball players compared to Rugby, slight differences there too.

The more aerobic based, the less need for more muscle, because you can just keep improving what you got. When you reach the point you need more, you better do the intense stuff as only way to gain it.

The high intensity - HIIT, nature of some of those sport's training give them muscle growth like that. If not specifically going out and doing intervals when it's time to build muscle.

Ran hills - great interval workout.

Why are intervals so good at building up strength and muscle compared to plain aerobic cardio - because it's as close as you'll get to lifting while doing "cardio".
    All out anaerobic intense effort with maximum load, followed by brief rest, and do it again. Just like sets and reps.
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    It doesn't. Have lost 30 lbs from cardio but my BF% went up 3%... kind of annoying. But on a defecit you won't gain muscle anyways unfortunately. I started doing weights to help my BF% though...
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Yes, for example running, you use your legs don't you? midsection for balance, heart for endurance...yes it does take some level of muscle to do these things.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Yes, for example running, you use your legs don't you? midsection for balance, heart for endurance...yes it does take some level of muscle to do these things.

Just like lifting, if you are new to it and lacking in muscle, you can make great (compared to later) newbie gains, running too.

But after that brief initial time, no. You obviously use muscle, and get better at using it. Actually, you get better at storing glucose in it for longer sessions, and using more of what you already got.

Even people starting out running have muscle to use, just hasn't been used for that.
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    none of the examples you listed are cardio...

Soccer players do things like sprint and kick. Both have type II muscle fibre usage. So durrrr that they have larger legs than athletes who only do cardio.
  • LittleDoodlePoodle
    LittleDoodlePoodle Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    OK, thanks everybody, these are all fantastic responses! I should have clarified, however, that I have already been working out for over 6 weeks, and seen not that much difference? Though some say they can see it in my face? So it wasn't a case of "1 month, let's burn ALLLLLL the fat." And I am working towards a healthy existence, not just bikini season, but it would also be nice to be comfortable on the beach, for once, and I have had health kicks before but they never last because I fail to see results that motivate me to continue. #InstantGratificationWhore :P

I have been doing body weight exercises such as squats and push ups, but I didn't know that it would qualify as lifting. I do add weights in for my squats as they have gotten quite boring/easy, and I mix it up between plie/sumo and close feet and normal squats.

I really appreciate the input!!! I suppose the reason I haven't seen much change must be diet, but I almost always stay under my calorie goals?

I will definitely be incorporating the programs of body weight training into my cardio though, as I had not realised that I was essentially burning muscle? As far as my cardio goes, I do Interval Training on the Elliptical, not just plain cardio, and I have a HRM which often tells me that I have reached my fitness improving zone, as opposed to fat burning zone, and that I have reached, or often surpassed, my maximum heart rate limit, so I know I am doing intense cardio, with accurate burns, as opposed to MFP estimates. My HRM is a Polar FT7.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    No. You can't build muscle unless you are at a calorie surplus. At least from everything I learned. That doesn't mean your muscle can't get stronger.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry...but are YOU crazy??? I've played soccer all my life and if you think soccer players rarely do resistance training I would love to see your work out regime because I remember wanting to die from all the weight lifting and resistance training we had to do. You're also eating a crap load to sustain yourself. Not eating at a calorie deficit. When we ran sprints, we carried people on our backs. We had 30 minutes set aside in our morning conditions just to do strength strengthening &resistance training just for lower body...that doesn't include any other body work outs. To be a good soccer player your don't have to just be fast and have endurance you have to have strength to strike balls, slide tackle, and compete for the ball.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    OK, thanks everybody, these are all fantastic responses! I should have clarified, however, that I have already been working out for over 6 weeks, and seen not that much difference? Though some say they can see it in my face? So it wasn't a case of "1 month, let's burn ALLLLLL the fat." And I am working towards a healthy existence, not just bikini season, but it would also be nice to be comfortable on the beach, for once, and I have had health kicks before but they never last because I fail to see results that motivate me to continue.

Measure--stop paying so attention to the scale. If your face is thinner chances are so is your waist, neck, thighs and hips.
    Squats and pushups will build muscle--as stated earlier, any resistance will. Genes dictate where you lose fat. Usually it comes off your waist first, but not always.