Outside joggers.. how do you find enough daylight?

Options
I love jogging in the park near my house, but don't particularly feel safe jogging when there is no daylight.

I work normal business hours, meaning I leave the house at 8 am and get home at 6 pm. Jogging before work is out... completely not enough time between sunrise and time to leave for work. Jogging during lunch break is out too... my schedule is just too inconsistent and I am on the road sometimes.

Jogging after work provides plenty of time, but I feel like dinner gets in the way. I currently jog as soon as I get home for about 45 minutes then spend about 30 to 45 minutes cooking. This puts me eating at 8 pm, which I know is bad. I'd like to increase the time I spend jogging, but I feel like that would really be pushing dinner back too late. Also, I feel like cooking/eating after jog is bad because I dread cooking the entire time I jog. I'd rather have everything out of the way so I can just enjoy my jog.

What do all of you joggers, cooks, and 9 to 5'ers do to avoid this dilemma? I'm also dealing with a fiancé who is helpless in the kitchen, doesn't like crockpot food, and would be pretty sad if I just stopped cooking/eating dinner.

Replies

• melissafawnw
    melissafawnw Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have the same dilemma. I work 8-6, and get home close to 7. And I hate running right when I get home because I'm hungry! I've decided to run 30-45 minutes on weekdays and try to run longer on weekends. As long as you're consistently running, it's okay to have short runs.
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I go out before the sun comes up and just wear reflective and bright clothing.

I don't really see what options you have (other than a treadmill) if you can't do it before work or at lunch and don't feel like you have enough time after work before dinner, either.
  • katrwal
    katrwal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    have to admit, i'm a morning jogger... sunrise in the Detroit area is around 6:30 am - so i go from 6:30-7 every morning during the week, then have a longer run on the weekends...

other option - since your fiance is hopeless at cooking - you cook, you both eat dinner, then you go for a run while he does the dishes :)

good luck and congratulations on making it a priority.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I am fortunate enought to be able to get my run in during my lunch hour at work.
  • nytius
    nytius Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I had this issue until I started cooking ahead of time. Sunday afternoons I usually cook up dinner for a couple of nights. Wed my husband cooks, Thursday morning I wake up early and cook before I get dressed for work. Friday is free for all. I know its a strange schedule but I had the same issue. I don't run at night and cooking in the morning or on weekends has been working so far. Good luck!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I love jogging in the park near my house, but don't particularly feel safe jogging when there is no daylight.

I work normal business hours, meaning I leave the house at 8 am and get home at 6 pm. Jogging before work is out... completely not enough time between sunrise and time to leave for work. Jogging during lunch break is out too... my schedule is just too inconsistent and I am on the road sometimes.

Jogging after work provides plenty of time, but I feel like dinner gets in the way. I currently jog as soon as I get home for about 45 minutes then spend about 30 to 45 minutes cooking. This puts me eating at 8 pm, which I know is bad. I'd like to increase the time I spend jogging, but I feel like that would really be pushing dinner back too late. Also, I feel like cooking/eating after jog is bad because I dread cooking the entire time I jog. I'd rather have everything out of the way so I can just enjoy my jog.

What do all of you joggers, cooks, and 9 to 5'ers do to avoid this dilemma? I'm also dealing with a fiancé who is helpless in the kitchen, doesn't like crockpot food, and would be pretty sad if I just stopped cooking/eating dinner.

Why is eating after 8pm bad??
  • jsickman12
    jsickman12 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you, except I run around my neighbor hood in the bike lane. I sometimes don't eat until 9 pm, it isn't as bad if you have a couple hours to let it digest, they say 3 hours or more before bed time is good, but I haven't seen any ill effects with my 2 hour window, especially if you are eating a healthy meal.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I run at 5:00 am, and it's dark. I don't mind. It's usually the coolest part of the day.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I steal mine from the smiles of children.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I run early in the morning before the sun comes up. If you don't feel safe how about a running buddy?
  • strickland8052
    strickland8052 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Cooking in the morning is a fantastic idea! Any suggestions on healthy recipes that are good "left over" like that? (You know how some foods taste awful reheated and others taste even better)
    I had this issue until I started cooking ahead of time. Sunday afternoons I usually cook up dinner for a couple of nights. Wed my husband cooks, Thursday morning I wake up early and cook before I get dressed for work. Friday is free for all. I know its a strange schedule but I had the same issue. I don't run at night and cooking in the morning or on weekends has been working so far. Good luck!
  • camibadman
    Options
    I'm in your same boat! Unfortunately, not enough daylight is a problem that can't be avoided if the only time you're able to run is after work (me too!). I am a HUGE fan of Crock Pot dinners so I either start that before work or at lunch if I have enough time to go home. I go running AS SOON as I get home for 60-75 minutes, come home, eat, shower, relax, go to bed and repeat! It can be done as long as you find a routine that works for you. :drinker:
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I prefer to jog in the dark because I hate having to put on sunscreen. :P
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I have an hour lunch time - a park and beach close by, and a locker room/shower in the building, so I go for a quick 40 min run, shower at the speed of light and eat at my desk.....Longer runs on weekends....
    And eating after 8 is not bad......
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    Stick something in the oven, a chicken or roast, and then go run. Fix salad and prep dinner the previous evening. Brown rice pilaf would be done just about the time your run is finished.

Better yet, ask the fiance to grill up some steaks or fish. Get him in the kitchen so you won't always be the one doing the cooking. Otherwise, add a baby or two and your running days are over.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Maybe try cooking for the week and have it ready in containers to heat up. You could make a couple of casseroles and soups on Sunday. Then possible sign your fiance up for a cooking class.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    This puts me eating at 8 pm, which I know is bad.

There is no special magical time that you need to stop eating at. I work out as soon as I get home and then I start cooking dinner. I usually eat around 7:30-8:30pm most evenings. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
    I'm also dealing with a fiancé who is helpless in the kitchen, doesn't like crockpot food,

I doubt he doesn't like any crock pot food. There are endless possibilities of food you can make in a crock pot.
  • SatchGallamax
    SatchGallamax Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I prefer to jog in the dark because I hate having to put on sunscreen. :P

YES!

I routinely run between 9 and 10pm...but, that's when I have the time to do it.
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    What about jogging to/from work?

• MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I don't know how long you run but I run outside from about 6:30-7 and it's light out by then. They days are getting longer so at least your window will open up soon.