when did you drop a size?

Options
I've lost over 40lbs and dropped 2 sizes in pants. That's 20 for 1 size. I'm not sure why I was expecting more than that. does height make a difference? I am 5'7''

what about you?

Replies

• islandlifenc
    islandlifenc Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and am interested in seeing the responses on this one, too. Good question.
  • TheShrinkingKween
    TheShrinkingKween Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    This is one I'd like to know as well! I'm in the 5'7" club, too!!!
  • Xapis85
    Xapis85 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 too and interested to see. I've lost 28lbs (hopefully 30lb by tomorrow's weekly weigh in!) and don't think I've actually dropped a dress size yet! Frustrated!

Well, I suppose I have sort of... I had gone up into UK size 20, and am definitely finding those hanging off me now, so I'm back into UK 18. But that's where I've been for years and years, so it's annoying. Dreaming of getting down to a 16 and eventually maybe even a 14! But right now I just can't feel it happening! The weight loss has been a steady 2lbs a week since i started at end of Jan, and I've lost some inches too, but doesn't seem to affect my overall size!
  • KrisNM
    KrisNM Posts: 17
    Options
    I'm 5'8'' and lost almost 30 lbs. I'm down about a size and a half. It's tough being this tall! My college roommate, who is 5'1, would lose 20lbs and drop 3 sizes.
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    5'2", lost 20.5 lbs, still waiting to drop a size. However, I no longer have to suck in to fasten my jeans so there is definite improvement. Most of my loss is below the waist so it doesn't really impact clothes sizes yet. I just have a baggy behind.
  • happygalclt
    Options
    This is definately an intersting question, lol!!!! I am 5'3" and I have lost 3 dress sizes but only 10 pounds on teh scale! I suppose this is why you are not suppose to use the scale or other people for comparison sake! lol. Looks like everyone is doing the right thing though!
  • Armyantzzz
    Armyantzzz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Height does come into play!! However,, looking at your progress... you're doing Great!! Keep up the good work!
  • SCtolulu
    SCtolulu Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and dropped a size comfortably down (not smooshing myself to get into those jeans:) at a 7 pound loss.
  • bc119
    bc119 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I can't speak from experience this time around (not there yet) but I lost approx. 30 lbs in 2007/2008 and it definitely took MORE than 10 lbs for me to drop a clothing size. Clothes fit better after 10 lbs but it was more like 15-20 lbs before I had to go down a pants size.

I used to think 10 lbs = 1 pant size but that's not true especially not with the inconsistency between brands/manufacturers.

30 lbs (for me) equalled going from an XL to M in most jackets and tops and from a 12-14 in pants down to an 8-10.

Good luck! Nothing was more motivating for me than clothes becoming too big :) Can't wait to experience it again!
  • elaineirene84
    elaineirene84 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    5'4 and went down a size around the 20 lb mark. That size is now getting a little loose and almost at 30 lbs lost so I guess I would be averaging 1 size every 20 lbs.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I lost roughly 40 pounds to date. Started in a very tight 14, wearing a 6 today (but I have some 4's and 8's that fit as well). 190ish to 150ish (I only say ish because I'm not sure of my starting weight, didn't weigh myself until I was in the 170's). I'm 5'11, 150, and 34 years old (hourglass shape, even heavy).
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    ive lost 20lbs and not dropped a size, pants are loose but not enough to go to go to a smaller size
  • drojen
    drojen Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I think the bigger you are, the more you have to lose before you go down a size. And, sizes are never consistent. I'm down over 30 lbs and my size 24's are loose, but I tried a couple of 22's on last weekend and couldn't zip them up. However, I have some size 20's from another store that fit me great. So size?? I give up. I do think I'm now comfortable in a 3x, but not quite at the point of dropping to a 2x - however, again, it likely depends on the brand. I have over 100 lbs to lose so I'm definitely on the bigger side of things! For now, I'm not going to think about the size on the clothes because it's all over the place. I'm just going to try things on, see what fits and go from there (although I will admit, I refused to try those pants on in a 24.... I feel like a *should* be smaller than that by now and I'm just not going to buy anything that size any more....):noway:
  • dotamy
    dotamy Posts: 16
    Options
    I just joined MFP but have lost about 55lbs already. I'm 5'7", began as a size 18 and am now a 12/14, close to dropping that 14. I felt it was every 15lbs or so. Strength training has helped significantly too, in tightening my muscles. Seemed I looked "smaller" in those same sizes while still wearing them.
  • mrsnecincy
    mrsnecincy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 ft 3 and a bit. I've lost 25lb and I'm still in UK 16s (the size I was when I started) most of the time although can just about fit into a couple of pairs of 14 trews.
  • jen6224
    jen6224 Posts: 10
    Options
    I have lost 26 pounds and hav yet to drop a size, however, things are becoming more loose, definitely. I think another ten and I will be down a size for sure! Then, I hope it just keeps happening gradually. I have been doing cardio three days a week and strength training three days a week. I have noticed a difference, so have others, but the size I wear has not changed!
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    ive lost 20lbs and not dropped a size, pants are loose but not enough to go to go to a smaller size

Also im 5'8
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,814 Member
    Options
    I have lost 64 ponds and while my things are hanging loose, I have not gotten a smaller size. I was hoping, Maybe I was wearing things tighter then I thought.
  • MyNameisJill
    MyNameisJill Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I also think that the brands are now putting more stretchy materials in their pants! I can fit into some 20's, 18's and one 16 (my fav pair of course). I think I am a true 18 though, as the 16's have 4% lycra in them, so likely I am not a 16, I just stretched them out so much! While I was pregnant, I also used comfort fit pants (in my regular size) throughout the entire pregnancy. it is super deceiving and frustrating when you go to another store/another brand and you go up/down based on the stores sizing and materials!

I believe for a lot of people, one size equals 15-20 lbs. But everyone is different, right?
  • rhondacollins102
    Options
    Ive lost 72 lbs since Sept.Ive lost 5-6 sizes in jeans.I really don't work out,Ive been Taking ACE ,and it really shrinks your body fat.Ive found for myself that every 10 lbs I loose,Ive lost a pant size.I look and feel like a different person.Please feel free to look at my pix on my profile