TDEE CALCULATING (HELP)

Options
MY TDEE IS 2091 what do i eat or how does it work ?

Replies

• jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Did you enter your true goal weight when you did the calculation? Or did you use your current weight in that spot?
  • dianasmiles
    Options
    yes
  • dianasmiles
    Options
    i put my current weight
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Do you know what TDEE is? I'm willing to help, but you gotta make an effort...
  • jzammetti
    Options
    Ok, so if you have more than 50 pounds to lose, eat at a 20% deficit from that number (1673). less than 50 but more that 15, eat at a 15% deficit from that number (1778). Less than 15, eat at a 10% deficit (1882).

And do some resistance training - heavy lifting, body weight exercises, etc.
  • dianasmiles
    Options
    SO IF MY TDEE is that number as of my weight right now.... that means if i want to lose 40 pounds how many calories should i eat a day
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have a similar question....my TDEE is 2173 - I'm a 49 yr old female, 5' 3", 158 lbs, moderate activity (do a 60-min bootcamp 3 x a week and a brisk walk on the treadmill for 30 or so mins 2 x a week).

If I want to lose 15 lbs then I should keep my daily NET calories at 1847, correct? On my boot camp days when I burn around 600 calories I should eat 2200 calories?

I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I've been doing this for a few years now and lost 50 lbs eating way less than that (netting approx 1300 a day).
  • jzammetti
    Options
    SO IF MY TDEE is that number as of my weight right now.... that means if i want to lose 40 pounds how many calories should i eat a day

Ok, so if you have more than 50 pounds to lose, eat at a 20% deficit from that number (1673). less than 50 but more that 15, eat at a 15% deficit from that number (1778). Less than 15, eat at a 10% deficit (1882).

And do some resistance training - heavy lifting, body weight exercises, etc.
  • jzammetti
    Options
    I have a similar question....my TDEE is 2173 - I'm a 49 yr old female, 5' 3", 158 lbs, moderate activity (do a 60-min bootcamp 3 x a week and a brisk walk on the treadmill for 30 or so mins 2 x a week).

If I want to lose 15 lbs then I should keep my daily NET calories at 1847, correct? On my boot camp days when I burn around 600 calories I should eat 2200 calories?

I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I've been doing this for a few years now and lost 50 lbs eating way less than that (netting approx 1300 a day).

yes, you should be eating around 1847 every day - activity is already factored in so no need to worry about net calories.

I lost my first 50 doing low calorie as well...but then I plateaued and couldn't figure it out. It was because i was eating way too little. So I upped my calories based on TDEE and almost immediately began to lose again (after a 4 month plateau). the damage caused by undereating is not always so noticeable on the outside...but the damage is still happening.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options

yes, you should be eating around 1847 every day - activity is already factored in so no need to worry about net calories.

I lost my first 50 doing low calorie as well...but then I plateaued and couldn't figure it out. It was because i was eating way too little. So I upped my calories based on TDEE and almost immediately began to lose again (after a 4 month plateau). the damage caused by undereating is not always so noticeable on the outside...but the damage is still happening.

^^ Yarp!
    Me too. I was netting like 1200 when I was 155 (I'm 5'1" btw). I lost the weight, but I think my body got used to eating so little I plataued for a year.
    Then I ate normal (plus cheesy fries) and gained like 10 lbs in a few months!

Hoping that since I ate more and gained for a period of time, going back to proper TDEE - 20% will work. Seems to be starting to work (when I'm actually consistant).

I really do find these calculators helpful

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Can anyone explain why you use the weight you are now instead of your goal weight?? I would think with your goal weight you'd be eating less so shouldn't you be eating less now? Did that make sense to anyone?? lol
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Can anyone explain why you use the weight you are now instead of your goal weight?? I would think with your goal weight you'd be eating less so shouldn't you be eating less now? Did that make sense to anyone?? lol

you use your goal weight so that you know what your TDEE is NOW and eat less than that. You are supposed to re-calculate your TDEE every 5-10 lbs lost.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Because you are looking at what you maintain now, at current weight, TDEE.

Less a deficit from TDEE is losing weight.

You could just use goal weight true (as future TDEE is of course less than current TDEE), but the deficit is less.

And actually, if you base your BMR on Katch and bodyfat%, and you eat at reasonable deficit, you may NOT lose any Lean Body Mass, so actually your BMR stays exactly the same at current and future weight (if you don't have much to lose).
    In that case, future TDEE would not be less than current TDEE.
  • dianasmiles
    Options
    so... wait, if my TDEE is 2,358
    and my BMR is 1521

my cut value is 1,700 so do i eat 1,700 or should i start off eating low-calorie (1,200) as this will be my first time dieting....
  • heybales
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones

Just keep it simple, best estimates of everything, log progress.
  • heybales
    Options
    and my BMR is 1521

my cut value is 1,700 so do i eat 1,700 or should i start off eating low-calorie (1,200) as this will be my first time dieting....

Only if you want to really risk losing muscle mass, and making it a whole lot harder later on when you stall.

1700 is still less than estimated TDEE, right, that is a loss.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    and my BMR is 1521

Only if you want to really risk losing muscle mass, and making it a whole lot harder later on when you stall.

1700 is still less than estimated TDEE, right, that is a loss.

Agreed. Your goal should be a modest deficit (like your 1700 number), not the absolutely lowest you can go (1200 or less like some people do)
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options

Because you are looking at what you maintain now, at current weight, TDEE.

Less a deficit from TDEE is losing weight.

You could just use goal weight true (as future TDEE is of course less than current TDEE), but the deficit is less.

And actually, if you base your BMR on Katch and bodyfat%, and you eat at reasonable deficit, you may NOT lose any Lean Body Mass, so actually your BMR stays exactly the same at current and future weight (if you don't have much to lose).
    In that case, future TDEE would not be less than current TDEE.

Thank you!! It sorta makes sense to me. I, too, am new to the whole TDEE thing and at times it can get a bit confusing.
  • dianasmiles
    Options
    thank you!!!!