TDEE CALCULATING (HELP)

Options
2»

Replies

• Careyann72
    Careyann72 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a question along these lines. I did the spreadsheet in the "in place of a roadmap" thread and it gave me calories of 1655 and gave me numbers to adjust my protein, etc. I did put in the activity I do, so I have not been logging exercise and just trying to eat that many calories, is that right? Before I changed this I had been eating around 1200 and stalled for 2 months at the same weight, upped it to 1450 calories and lost 5 pounds in 1 month so I know adding calories helps! I've been confused about this spreadsheet deal since I did it!!
  • dianasmiles
    Options
    ho long do you tink if i workout 30 mins 5x a week and eat 1,700 calories a day how much weight will i lose in 4 months
  • kristinebolton5
    kristinebolton5 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I just wrote a post regarding the calories. I just started this week. MFP set my calories at 1330. I have been below that all week by atleast 300. I walk 60 mins 5 days a week & do 30 mins of the Biggest Loser Max Cardio 3x a week.

I'm trying to understand this TDEE.

Any help would be much appreciated
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, "jzammetti" and "petstorekitty"! It sounds like your journey is similar to mine, so I will immediately change my daily intake to 1800 calories (holy scary!!!) and give it a few weeks.

I just started a bootcamp two weeks ago and while I'm working out the same number of times a week I'm working out way harder at bootcamp (3 mornings a week). I've been feeling pretty crappy so it's probably because I'm starving myself, even if I don't feel that much hungrier.

Thanks again!!!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I have a question along these lines. I did the spreadsheet in the "in place of a roadmap" thread and it gave me calories of 1655 and gave me numbers to adjust my protein, etc. I did put in the activity I do, so I have not been logging exercise and just trying to eat that many calories, is that right? Before I changed this I had been eating around 1200 and stalled for 2 months at the same weight, upped it to 1450 calories and lost 5 pounds in 1 month so I know adding calories helps! I've been confused about this spreadsheet deal since I did it!!

If by spreadsheet you mean the Weight Loss Calculators spreadsheet, it says under Your Results you do NOT eat back calories from exercise you included in the activity calculator. You can log as 1 calorie if desired to not mess up your daily goal.

Just read all the tips under Your Results, should be very clear.
  • heybales
    Options
    I just wrote a post regarding the calories. I just started this week. MFP set my calories at 1330. I have been below that all week by atleast 300. I walk 60 mins 5 days a week & do 30 mins of the Biggest Loser Max Cardio.

I'm trying to understand this TDEE.

Any help would be much appreciated

Read the posts, you are missing already available info.
  • luticiaf
    luticiaf Posts: 92 Member
    Options

I lost my first 50 doing low calorie as well...but then I plateaued and couldn't figure it out. It was because i was eating way too little. So I upped my calories based on TDEE and almost immediately began to lose again (after a 4 month plateau). the damage caused by undereating is not always so noticeable on the outside...but the damage is still happening.

Did you feel hungry when you were underconsuming? According to my TDEE I've been underconsuming for this past 3 weeks, I've only lost 2 of my 10 lb goal, but i haven't felt hungry (other than two really painful days.) I feel satiated, but not seeing the results I want - afraid that if i consume more, I will start gaining...
  • heybales
    Options
    ho long do you tink if i workout 30 mins 5x a week and eat 1,700 calories a day how much weight will i lose in 4 months

Do the math.

TDEE - eating goal = Deficit daily x 120 days / 3500 calories per lb of fat = lbs of fat loss.

If deficit is reasonable that can all be fat loss.
    If too much, some will be muscle mass, and then the math changes because it's easier to burn off a lb of muscle (600 calories) than a lb of fat.
  • kristinebolton5
    kristinebolton5 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    So if my TDEE is 2419, looking at losing roughly 40lbs, I would take 15% away?
  • heybales
    Options
    Did you feel hungry when you were underconsuming? According to my TDEE I've been underconsuming for this past 3 weeks, I've only lost 2 of my 10 lb goal, but i haven't felt hungry (other than two really painful days.) I feel satiated, but not seeing the results I want - afraid that if i consume more, I will start gaining...

Many have messed up their hormones such they no longer feel hungry undereating - can't trust hunger that much.
    Mostly because that's what got people into trouble in the first place.

If you instantly gain, it was the water weight you instantly loss at the start. You were going to gain that back eventually no matter what.

You would have to eat 250 extra calories daily OVER your TDEE to gain 1 lb of fat in 2 weeks of time. Read that again.

And if you are actually exercising, your body would use of that for body improvements, so it would not even be all fat.
  • heybales
    Options
    So if my TDEE is 2419, looking at losing roughly 40lbs, I would take 15% away?

Good reasonable deficit that will help to maintain muscle mass.

That is the real killer to going back to maintenance and not gaining it back and needing to diet again.

That loss tends to happen as we age anyway - why encourage it!?
  • luticiaf
    luticiaf Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    awesome, thanks heybales! gonna try to switch my target intake. let's see where that gets us!

wow, 250cal daily for a week to gain one lb of fat.... my, what a gluttonous winter I must have had....
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Please send me a Friend Request If you have changed your daily calorie intake according to the TDEE calculator....I did as of today and have added 500 calories a day and admit I'm a bit freaked out! Maybe we can compare our results together.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

I lost my first 50 doing low calorie as well...but then I plateaued and couldn't figure it out. It was because i was eating way too little. So I upped my calories based on TDEE and almost immediately began to lose again (after a 4 month plateau). the damage caused by undereating is not always so noticeable on the outside...but the damage is still happening.

Someone already answered this generally...but no, I was not hungry after I adjusted to the 1200 calories. That is the first sign of your body doing bad things to accommodate your lack of food...

I was terrified to up my caloires to 1700 - but I put the scale away for 2 weeks (I figured there would be small gains while my body adjustesd but I did not want to see them!) and was so happy when I took it back out because I had begun to lose again.