Toning muscles!?

Options
2»

Replies

• G3NDERBeNd3r
    Options
    Such good ideas, I had no clue "toning" was such a dumbing down idea to try to sell people products. I like the muscle gain, fat loss idea. Thank you all for your wonderful ideas, and I hope more people can use these ideas as well. I read these sites and loved them. Blessed be and keep posting if you get new ideas, I will keep reading. :)
  • KimPratt222
    KimPratt222 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    there is no such thing as exercises that can tone muscles. you can build muscles, through eating lots of food and breaking them down and resting repeatedly. Or you can keep them the same, through just using them a bit while eating to maintainence, or you can atrophy them, by doing nothing exercise wise and eating at a deficit.

If you want to lose bodyfat so your existing muscles look more prominent, then eat at a calorie deficit with balance macros and do any sort of full body resistance training program.

YES! I'm sorry, but the word "tone" makes me cringe! Like another poster said...just lift some heavy ****!!! Fill up empty water jugs with sand or water...fill up some bags with sand...there are so many ways to make heavy things to lift.
  • KimPratt222
    KimPratt222 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    1) Muscle doesn't turn into fat - however more muscle mass will make it easier for your body to burn fat.
    2) Start with inclined push-ups - on stairs, or a table, etc. Find something that makes it hard to get out 10, when you can easily do 15 move to a lower incline. Focus on form, if it's bad form, it doesn't count. You can also try isometric holds. Get in push up position, go down about halfway and hold there for 30 seconds, work up to 1 minute. (repeat 3-5 times)
    3) Bodyweight exercises are great, especially if you can't afford or don't have space for weights. I will occasionally do a bodyweight workout that looks something like this:

Squats
    Push-Ups or Burpees (if I'm feeling spunky)
    Planks
    Good Mornings (Touch your toes)
    Dips
    Jumping Jacks
    Sit Ups
    Bear Crawls
    Mountain Climbers

Do each exercise for 1 minute doing as many reps as you can, rest no more than 30 seconds in between exercises. When you get to the end of the exercises rest for 1-2 minutes. Repeat 3 Times. If you can't do some of them for a full minute don't sweat it, start with 30 seconds and work up to 1 minute. Some of these are tough, but they will burn fat and build muscle mass. If you don't know what any of these exercises are, just Google it, or check the Men's Health website.

I have a question...how do you do "Good Mornings" and touch your toes? What am I missing?
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BBGoodMorning.html

Or if you don't want to use weight - some people are against using weight for this exercise. Do the same motion with no weight, easily accomplished by repeatedly touching your toes. (My elementary school gym teacher called this "Touch Your Toes", so I guess the name just stuck for me.)