plyometric/cardio circuit

So I dislike cardio immensely.. especially that elliptical/treadmill c**p! SO BORING!

I strength train 3x per week for about an hour or so (doing SL 5x5) halfway through the 12 weeks now.

I have about 15-20 minutes after where i fit in cardio.

I'm not too interested in HIIT at this stage, that will come a bit later I hope.

I've been looking into plyometrics (1) to help with strength training and (2) for cardio as it will keep my HR up. I've had a look and googled a bunch but I can't seem to find anything that is like a solid circuit.. it only needs to be short (like i say about 15 mins will be fine)

It doesn't need to be all plyo, can add other things in.

So I was wondering if any of you have either (a) any links to any places with circuits or (b) have one that you have done/are doing that you think is awesome.

NB- I can't do push ups so please don't suggest normal or clap push ups... I will cry (lol)

thanks in advance!

Replies

• Cajunmalakai
    Cajunmalakai Posts: 59 Member
    Plyo can certainly get your heart pumping, but a proper plyometric workout is also brutal on your muscles(the purpose being to build power and explosiveness), so combining it with a routine as intense as 5x5 can be tricky.

I'm with you on the boring cardio, but there are tons of options other than just toughing it out on a treadmill or elliptical. I did 5x5 myself and I found that doing say, rounds of dumbbell swings in between sets really got me sweating. Really, anything that jacks up your heart rate qualifies.

Why can't you do pushups?
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Sometime I do plyos in between sets.

Some good ones are squat jumps, jumping alternating lunges, plyo jacks, box jumps, burpees, froggy jumps. I'll do 10-15 between sets, or sometimes I even superset them in.

It does raise the heartrate something good.

Edited: I agree with OP they are taxing, so I really only do them when I'm doing a lighter weights day OR I will do a few sets at the end of a heavy day.
  • crossfit_lover
    crossfit_lover Posts: 230 Member
    Sometime I do plyos in between sets.

Some good ones are squat jumps, jumping alternating lunges, plyo jacks, box jumps, burpees, froggy jumps. I'll do 10-15 between sets, or sometimes I even superset them in.

It does raise the heartrate something good.

Edited: I agree with OP they are taxing, so I really only do them when I'm doing a lighter weights day OR I will do a few sets at the end of a heavy day.
    Agree if you can include plyo in between cardio and strength, you'll see heart-rate high which will provide an excellent calorie burner. Box Jumps, Burpees are excellent
  • Judas_Queen
    Judas_Queen Posts: 251 Member
    I''m planning to add a cardio day in anyway, but wanted something a bit more circuit-y for my lifting days.