Question About TOM & Weight Gain

Options
February is my 2nd month on this journey and hence the 2nd time I've had to deal with TOM. Last month I didn't weigh-in at all during TOM, leaving a 2 week gab between my weigh-ins. I found that I lost 4 lbs and so I assumed that it was 2 lbs for each week. This time I got curious and weighed myself and saw a .6 gain from the previous week, which I hardly count. I've read that some women gain up to 10 lbs so I'm expecting a good couple of pounds increase. My question is do all women gain during TOM? I'm trying to figure out if I maintained my weight from last week or if I probaly lost weight but because of TOM it appears that I maintained my weight.

Replies

• TooTatToTrot
    TooTatToTrot Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I gain. I usually weigh during that time, even though mine only lasts 3 days, then wait a week to weigh again. It's usually a 4-6 pound difference.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I am up too and we tend to get hungry and grouchy together!!! Lol
  • ambascom
    Options
    I have only had to deal with TOM once thus far and I actually maintained my weight (down to the .8 of a pound). I'm also on BC to regulate my TOM and have been on BC for like 7 or 8 years. Like you, I expected a gain, so I was surprised when I didn't see a gain. What I suggest doing is hop on the scale and if it is a gain, you don't have to record if it you don't want to on here. Then, weigh in again the following week and see how you did. I like to weigh in just for me to know but I don't plan on recording on here unless it is a loss.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Almost all women gain between 2-5 pounds, some gain more and some gain less. But 2-5 is average. It's water retention. Don't let it throw you off. Just weigh yourself again at the end of your period and say "Wow, look at that! I just lost 5 pounds all at once!" LOL.
  • TruScorpio169
    TruScorpio169 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    No I wasn't planning on recording it whether it was a gain or a loss because I don't feel it's accurate it's just my hormones screwing around which sucks but I'm a woman and been dealing this TOM for years.. I'm only cranky when I have cramps, especially if I'm at work and I have cramps.. those kids become super annoying at that time but I try my best to be nice.. thank God my assistant is nice so if I'm a lil cranky she makes up for it... LOL!

Anyways I guess the only way I'm gonna know if I gained/maintained/lossed would be to see what the scale says next week!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    No I wasn't planning on recording it whether it was a gain or a loss because I don't feel it's accurate it's just my hormones screwing around which sucks but I'm a woman and been dealing this TOM for years.. I'm only cranky when I have cramps, especially if I'm at work and I have cramps.. those kids become super annoying at that time but I try my best to be nice.. thank God my assistant is nice so if I'm a lil cranky she makes up for it... LOL!

Anyways I guess the only way I'm gonna know if I gained/maintained/lossed would be to see what the scale says next week!

That's how I am right before I start. I'll start snarking at the class for the littlest things, and I just lose all patience. Competely gone. My assistant-teacher just sort of looks at me with a bewildered expression. Then my brain will click and I'll say to her "Wow, I'm really being irrational, aren't I? OK, your turn, you take over. I'm going to go try to find my sanity."
  • kmr72
    kmr72 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am up 5.8lbs and I have not even started. I weigh anyway....it is what it is.
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I started Friday and I was up 4 lbs today. I did have a bad eating weekend though, so there's water weight from that. I will weigh next Monday and record.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I gain the first 2-3 days. Today is day 1 and i gained 700 grams (1.54 pounds) and i will prolly gain again tomorrow before it starts to drop off. I wouldnt worry too much about it...cos each month will be different and you dont NEED to know how much per week...as long as the trend is going downwards.
  • Copperlash
    Options
    I bloat during mine as well. I started this new try at losing that extra couple of people I'm carrying about whilst in bloat mode. I didn't even think about the extra couple of pounds, but you're right, measuring that week won't be totally accurate.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    My weight does not seem to fluctuate during TOM. It kind of freaks me out. I always hear about women bloating and retaining water and I stay the same. I guess that's my body's way of making up for the seemingly random bloat I get during the rest of the month!
  • jolene_ca
    jolene_ca Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I maintain the few days before, drop very slightly during. I usually lose 5lbs the week after.
  • Lbf321
    Lbf321 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I started my period on tuesday and gained 5 lbs, today I am back down to my original weight. I use to gain like 8-10 lbs of water during ovulation but I found a great herb so that doesn't happen anymore and I no longer have crazy cycles or pms. All the water (before I started exercising) would settle in my legs and give this really bad restless leg feeling.
  • mrsTravo9112
    mrsTravo9112 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Mine is usually a 2-3 lb difference,... I can't tell if its b/c of my TOM & I eat like CRAZY the first day or two :sad: & then make it up with workouts & eating lean the next 3 days after, :flowerforyou: so I don't cry :cry: at my next weigh-in or if its' just my TOM... I only weight once a week. :laugh:
  • bunnymum150
    bunnymum150 Posts: 311
    Options
    appetite increases for sure. I weigh in weekly, so week of I have been down only very slightly, last time only 0.4, but i will take any loss big/small. then following week usually down a few #'s. Our bodies are amazing - we need to remember that! And look the other way during weigh in @ TOM. It is like winter in Michigan, we know it is coming again next year so come up with an activity plan for year round!
  • halips
    halips Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I generally gain a few days prior and lose mid way/end. I think it's fairly common :)
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    February is my 2nd month on this journey and hence the 2nd time I've had to deal with TOM. Last month I didn't weigh-in at all during TOM, leaving a 2 week gab between my weigh-ins. I found that I lost 4 lbs and so I assumed that it was 2 lbs for each week. This time I got curious and weighed myself and saw a .6 gain from the previous week, which I hardly count. I've read that some women gain up to 10 lbs so I'm expecting a good couple of pounds increase. My question is do all women gain during TOM? I'm trying to figure out if I maintained my weight from last week or if I probaly lost weight but because of TOM it appears that I maintained my weight.

To answer your question, yes. All women gain weight during TOM.

Unless you are over eating then all women will lose weight after TOM.

It is water/hormone fluctuation.

You will most likely have around 36 years approx of this before you have menopause, which will affect your weight also?
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I remember years ago on weight watchers I discovered that sometimes I gain the week before, and sometimes the gain comes the week of that TOM. I've just learned for those two weeks I don't freak out over the scale if I can see in my food diary I'm doing the right things.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Depending on eating habits while on TOM (higher sodium with definitely give you a large increase in 'bloat' or 'water' weight.

I know I gain between 2 and 7lbs a few days before and the weight stays on till about a week after TOM ends. And the amount of gain day to day was dependant on my consumption of sodium rich foods. If I was good about it it would be 2-4lbs gain.
  • BlairCottier
    BlairCottier Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    At the beginning of my journey (8 months ago) I weighed myself ALL the time. I wanted to see exactly what made my weight increase and decrease. I definitely would gain 3-4 lbs during TOM. It bothered me at first, but now I realize it is just a normal thing! Now I never weigh myself during that week, I only weigh once or twice a month because I learned that the scale can be very deceiving. The one thing that I will tell everyone I talk to is, do NOT worry about the scale, if you do you are bound to get discouraged at one point or another. Go by how you feel. If you feel like you are losing weight and you feel great and your pants are getting smaller... keep on going strong!! Take measurements, take pictures, do not let the scale be your only measure of success. Good luck!