How strenuous is your work out?

Options
I've heard it said that you should exercise at a level that allows you to carry on a normal conversation.

I see people at the gym running six or seven minute miles on the treadmill for extended periods of time conversing quite normally.
They obviously are in great cardiovascular shape.

I've also seen people who work hard, are breathing hard and sweating even more and believe that they are pushing themselves to become stronger and fitter.

So, which type is the better work out?

I guess I fall somewhere in between.

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I've heard it said that you should exercise at a level that allows you to carry on a normal conversation.

You were lied to!

You are not pushing yourself enough to improve cardio vascular health if you can carry on a normal conversation.

You aren't burning very many calories, either.
  • PureAdamic
    PureAdamic Posts: 185
    Options
    Depends on your goal.

Is your goal to exercise and socialize at the same time? then yeah that is a good way to work out

Is your goal to get really strong - well you can't talk and squat heavy at the same time.

Is your goal to be able to run really fast or far, well you can't really talk when your heart is racing
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    If I remember correctly you should be able to say 3 or 4 words at a time before having to stop to take a breath if you are working on non-HIIT cardio training. So not normal conversation, but not unable to talk either.
  • mrandolph69
    mrandolph69 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    If I remember correctly you should be able to say 3 or 4 words at a time before having to stop to take a breath if you are working on non-HIIT cardio training. So not normal conversation, but not unable to talk either.

This is the range I would say I am in. I do 9+ mph at a moderate resistance for 30-40 minutes on the elliptical. I could probably hold a decent conversation with someone for the first 10-15 minutes or so but after that I would only be able to muster 3-4 words at a time.

However, when I do my HIIT routine on the elliptical there is no way I could converse with anyone after the 3 minute warm-up.
  • Cajunmalakai
    Cajunmalakai Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It's really not a matter of being "better" its about relative intensity. Those people running 7 minute miles while having normal conversations probably had to work their *kitten* off to get to that point.

Your intensity level should be where you are comfortable. If you can't handle a 7 minute mile than there is no reason to try to push yourself at that level, and injury can result if you do.
    The key to proper intensity is listening to your body and knowing what you can handle. Push yourself hard in every workout, but don't be foolish, because your workout WILL push back.
  • bulkbrah89
    bulkbrah89 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sickening intensity, sometimes i roll around in my own vomit but hey if you want those gains ya gotta bleed for them.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?
    I want to change my body shape- not just burn calories. I put effort in and try to train hard.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    It's really not a matter of being "better" its about relative intensity. Those people running 7 minute miles while having normal conversations probably had to work their *kitten* off to get to that point.

Your intensity level should be where you are comfortable. If you can't handle a 7 minute mile than there is no reason to try to push yourself at that level, and injury can result if you do.
    The key to proper intensity is listening to your body and knowing what you can handle. Push yourself hard in every workout, but don't be foolish, because your workout WILL push back.

Don't I know it! :tongue:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Sickening intensity, sometimes i roll around in my own vomit but hey if you want those gains ya gotta bleed for them.

Thanks for sharing
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    What are your goals?
    I want to change my body shape- not just burn calories. I put effort in and try to train hard.

Both
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It depends on goals...and day of the week. For example, on my lifting days I don't do anything more strenuous cardio wise than a nice walk because I want to be 100% for my lifts and make my strength gain goals for that session. Anything more than a walk or mellow bike ride or something and my lifts are jacked. On non-lift days I switch up weekly between 2x steady state jogging for about 3 miles and 1x sprints HIIT and then the next week will be 2x sprints HIIT and 1x 3 miles jogging. Too much HIIT and my lifts are impacted negatively...too much steady state cardio and I'm bored as ****.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?

Both

Then you should push yourself. Fat loss comes from these higher intensity types of workouts. Distance running is good to assess your endurance and burn some extra calories, but it isn't going to help you much with fat loss. It can also burn through some of your lean muscle as well.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options

I used to tell beginners that to keep them from over doing it. But they quickly got ot where they couldn't tell me to stop cuz they were out of breath! I can barely catch my breath at times during my workouts, which keeps people from trying to talk with me. Bonus!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options

I used to tell beginners that to keep them from over doing it. But they quickly got ot where they couldn't tell me to stop cuz they were out of breath! I can barely catch my breath at times during my workouts, which keeps people from trying to talk with me. Bonus!

Ha!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    It depends on goals...and day of the week. For example, on my lifting days I don't do anything more strenuous cardio wise than a nice walk because I want to be 100% for my lifts and make my strength gain goals for that session. Anything more than a walk or mellow bike ride or something and my lifts are jacked. On non-lift days I switch up weekly between 2x steady state jogging for about 3 miles and 1x sprints HIIT and then the next week will be 2x sprints HIIT and 1x 3 miles jogging. Too much HIIT and my lifts are impacted negatively...too much steady state cardio and I'm bored as ****.

What is your breathing like after sprints? Are you going all out?
    Is your strength to failure?
    Just gathering info, thanks :smile:
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    On easy runs I'm supposed to ne able to have a conversation. Not when I'm doing speed work. My easy run pace is slower than some and faster than others, between 9:30 and 10 min miles. If I'm running 7:30 I'm not telling my workout buddy about the cute thing my daughter did.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    It's about heart rate and duration. Calculate accordingly.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    When I do cardio, I go as intense as I possibly can, and I probably wouldn't be able to talk to you in a conversation beyond the warm-up until the cool-down.

By working out at high intensity for as long as I can manage (typically about 45 minutes or so for me) I maximize calorie burn compared to a 45 minute workout in the lower intensity that you mention.

I go for maximum calorie burn and most cardiovascular improvement with every cardio session that I do. Less than that I feel like I am cheating myself...unless my goal is to simply to improve NEAT for the day instead of actually work out.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I do both. It depends on my workout goals for that day.