Please help, I'm eating only 900-1000 calories a day but I f

Options
I know this is not enough, I've already lost a kilo in the last 3 days. Please help me.
Also: I jog 30 minutes straight 5 days a week and don't really eat junk food.

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising you do need to increase your calories to what MFP recommends plus your exercise.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Eat more food. Not sure what you want help with.
    I can't see your food diary so I don't know what you're eating.
    What would you like help with? :ohwell:
  • BeeZoe
    BeeZoe Posts: 37
    Options
    You are definitely not eating enough. Even your bmr has to be around (guessing since I don't know your weight) 1300. This is what you have to take in just to exist. Add in the jogging daily and just moving around you are literally starving your body which shuts down your metabolism and your body will start "eating" your lean muscle tissues in order to function properly. Go to the USDA daily allowances website and calculate your bmi, bmr, bmi and body frame. These will give you an idea of what you should be taking in every day for optimum body function/health and then you can use this site to properly work out what you should be eating.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Try eating healthy, but high calorie foods like nuts, rices, peanut butter, protein shakes...
  • speez49
    speez49 Posts: 2
    Options
    You need to eat lots more! Also, try spacing out meals - your body might go into starvation mode if you don't feed it enough (or regularly).
  • maimden
    maimden Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Um, yeah - I've done this diet before.. and trust me, all you will reap are negative consequences in the end. A diet this low in calories will throw your body into "starvation" or "famine" mode, meaning your energy will drop very low and you will essentially lose calories very slowly. yes - you will lose the weight. however, when you stop dieting, it will come back very quickly.. and in the futurem your body will jump into famine mode at even the slightest drop in calories. It makes for a horrible time trying to diet later in life..
    Nutritionists recommend at least 1,200 calories/day, unless you are shorter - say 4'5". Then I recommend visiting a dietician yourself.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Man...not sure about people that say they can't eat their calories. I can down 4000 cals a day without even batting an eye, and all of it would be healthy foods also.

Look at dense foods like nuts, dairy products, lean protein, peanut butter, etc etc.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Man...not sure about people that say they can't eat their calories. I can down 4000 cals a day without even batting an eye, and all of it would be healthy foods also.

Look at dense foods like nuts, dairy products, lean protein, peanut butter, etc etc.

Yes, but you are not eating tons of fruits and vegetables... which tend to be very low calorie AND very filling. Not to mention cheaper for those of us who are on a budget!
  • sammilee93
    Options
    Thanks very much for all of your help guys. So healthier food choices such as nuts will up my calories to what they should be?
    Also, I'm 70.8 kilograms, and 170cm.

Also, this is NOT really a diet I'm sticking to here, it's just that I don't feel hungry.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    It would help if you could open up your food diary so we could see. :)

I second (third?) the recommendation for high calorie foods such as nuts, peanut butter, etc.

Avocados are another good source of calories and good fat. :) Starchier vegetables like corn and peas also have more calories, as do beans/legumes.
  • loopybec2002
    loopybec2002 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to make my calories either I have gone into healthy eating mode and am not hungry but not sure what to add to my food diary thats high in calories but low in fat I already eat a lot of fruit can somebody look at my diaries and let me know.
  • BeeZoe
    BeeZoe Posts: 37
    Options
    I'll break down what I eat in a day to give you both an idea of what can be done. Keep in mind to maintain my weight I need to take in 2500 - 2800 calories a day. To lose some weight I have dropped it to 1800 - 2000.
    Breakfast
    Protein smoothie with 100% whey isolate, frozen blueberries, soy milk, flax seed
    Kashi cinnamon harvest whole wheat squares with soy milk

Snack - protein bar

Lunch - chicken salad with spinach, grape tomatoes, avocado slices, feta cheese, olive oil, cucumber and 1 cup chicken breast

Snack - 8 oz low sodium V8 juice, probiotic yogurt

Supper - something like a salmon steak or grilled chicken breast with 2 cups grilled vegetables or an egg white omelette with low fat ham, feta, spinach, mushrooms.

Snack - half a protein smoothie after workout

Plus 3 or 4 litres of water a day, tea.
    If I am hungry I will eat generally protein or carbs, small amounts that satify not overload (listen to your body)
    Even if you are not hungry you need to eat at least 6 small meals a day so your body believes food is coming and it doesn't have to reserve all the fats and sugars it gets to keep from starving. Once you get into that pattern you will start being hungry again because your body knows it's supposed to be getting nourishment and actually demands to be fed!

Forgot to add that eating alot of fruit is not necessarily a good thing, way too much sugars, eat more vegetables and dense foods as was mentioned, natural peanut butter, nuts, whole wheat etc.