Newly diagnosed with high blood pressure

Options
well i am a newly diagnosed hypertension patient (high blood pressure) and i was eating smart ones for lunch but the sodium is outrageous.... so im trying to get diff ideas of what to eat for lunch.... what do yall eat for lunch?

Replies

• kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    try to eat whole, non-processed foods. I try to plan and prepare ahead as much as I can. cook meats for the week all at once, then freeze in individual/serving size bags, clean and cut veggies, have 1-3 fresh fruits for the week....

these are some of my choices for lunch...
    chunk light tuna in water, real mayo, relish, onions
    all natural Swiss cheese slice
    Baked Tostitos scoops and fresh salsa
    hard boiled egg
    Jennie O turkey burgers...get low sodium kind
    fresh fruit
    cut veggies
    Larabar's, no OR low sodium
    Nature's Pride 100 % whole wheat bread

lunch is usually my highest sodium meal for the day

really look at the nutritional labels of ALL the food you are eating...I usually keep my sodium between 800-1200 day. good luck!
  • prettykonvinced
    prettykonvinced Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am a die hard fan of he Biggest Loser and I remember Jillian saying stay off of processed food. Basically, what you need to do is cook everything you eat. Mrs. Dash is a good seasoning that doesn't have salt. I really hate to hear that you have high blood pressure. I hope it goes away, since you are trying to become healthy.
  • MrsSki
    MrsSki Posts: 196
    Options
    Whatever I had for dinner the night before. I try to make a little extra to bring to lunch the next day. If I didn't make dinner, than I have other things on hand, cold meat sandwhichs, salads, etc.
  • Charliebb
    Charliebb Posts: 4
    Options
    My life style is Atkins Induction-Low Carbs because I was diagnosed with hypertension and boarder line diabetic several years ago. This life style controls both of those conditions very well. My lunch is different most every day but my favorite is a salad with cheese, a HB egg and mayonnaise on it.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I eat a big salad everyday for lunch packed in a chiller container :) The possibilities are endless!