Treadmill workouts

Options
Hey guys, I have rheumatoid arthritis in my knees, hips, ankles, back bone, elbows. I know it's terrible. I recently bought a treadmill to shed some pounds and get healthier but I can't run on it because of my problem. I try to but then the next day I have no motivation to get up and do it again. I have been walking at an incline of 12 and a speed of 3.5 - 5 I'll alternate between these speeds. I normally go for 50 minutes and it says I burn around 400-500 calories doing so. I was wondering if you guys think I would be able to drop some pounds and build muscle by doing this? and if you guys have any good workouts videos I should try. It would mean so much to me. Thanks

Replies

• kellywitcher13
    Options
    Walking is better on your joints anyway. You will lose weight and get toned by doing what your doing. For a while all I did was the treadmill like you just no incline, Zumba class, and Yoga class. You could do the Zumba and Yoga dvds. The yoga one would help strengthen also while also being relaxing and helping balance. Hope I helped!
  • mebeecc
    mebeecc Posts: 5
    Options
    Walking is pretty much my only source of exercise (besides low impact). I had back surgery 6 months ago and have to careful about the activities I do. I want to get a treadmill but they are soooo expensive. Anyone feel free to add me.
  • juliekins64
    juliekins64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I use the treadmill daily and had to lower my incline to 1 because it was killing my knees.
    Incline is hard on the joints.
    You'll burn plenty of calories to help in weight loss but not build much muscle.
    Perhaps a little strength training could be added, doesn't take long and does the body a lot of good to keep everything tight and strong.
  • Fitmiss07
    Fitmiss07 Posts: 13
    Options
    I agree you should continue walking, as it is much easier on your joints. You should also try out yoga, and some strength training moves. If you can help to build up your leg muscles, it'll be easier on your joints and help you to decrease any risk for injury and pain.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with walking. however, losing fat comes through creating a deficit in your diet, whatever exercise you do just helps that along. And, if you've never done any exercise, you might get a teeny bit of muscle growth with your walking routine, but walking, especially if eating at a deficit, is not going to cause muscle gain.
  • jourdanerin
    Options
    Do you have access to a pool?!?!? Swimming is a great total-body workout that is easy on your joints.
  • jackiecamarena
    jackiecamarena Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I would try swimming! Easy on your joints and burns so good, haha.

ETA: My mom is in the same boat!
  • shellyamyethan
    shellyamyethan Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Walking is pretty much my only source of exercise (besides low impact). I had back surgery 6 months ago and have to careful about the activities I do. I want to get a treadmill but they are soooo expensive. Anyone feel free to add me.

I got a treadmill from walmart.com it was around $300 and it was shipped for free. This was a couple years ago. The only issue I have with it is that it only goes up to 4 mph, but thats something to think about, you could also look on craigslist if you want to get a cheap treadmill. Its a godsend for me because I have two kids and when they go to bed i can put on some music and exercise.