Abs w/resistance workouts

Options
86_Ohms
86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
I'm looking for better workouts when with the one day a week I'm focused on abs. I'm not worried about body fat% with this particular post.

Besides dead lifts, what ab resistance training has been most benefecial for you (ie. situps with a medicine ball or elastic bands, etc.)?

Brownie points if the workout has a particular name to it, rather than just description.

Edit: Not including workouts with a bench bar for reasons listed in my next post down.

Replies

• PureAdamic
    PureAdamic Posts: 185
    Options
    Squats
    Front Squats
    Thrusters
    Toes to Bar
    Front Levers
    Planks
    Anti-Rotations
    Over head squats
    Cleans
    Snatches
    Farmers walks
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Planks are great for all over core strength.

You don't neccesarily need to do "crunches" and "sit ups" and ab isolated exercises to work your core muscles.

Stability exercises are great. Doing normal weight lifting and resistance training on bosu balls will definitely activate your core, but I highly recommend having someone there to catch you until you get the hang of it haha
  • PureAdamic
    Options
    Also don't do a whole day dedicated to abs. that is like having a day dedicated to biceps, you end up training like a tool
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Also don't do a whole day dedicated to abs. that is like having a day dedicated to biceps, you end up training like a tool

I should of clarified: I don't dedicate a WHOLE day to abs, but on a day when I work them into my time at the gym (usually about 30 min or more in the whole 90 min).

Also, I'll change my OP around. I'd like to look at workout that don't incorporate a bench bar. With the size of town I'm in, it's a small gym and the few they have usually come with a line of people waiting.
  • PureAdamic
    Options
    DB = Dumbbell

DB Squats
    DB Front Squats
    DB Thrusters
    Toes to Bar
    Front Levers
    Planks
    Anti-Rotations
    DB Over head squats
    DB Cleans
    DB Snatches
    Farmers walks
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    In addition to Squats, OHP, Deadlifts, etc., I do about 2 ab sessions a week (20-30 minutes each). Personally, I think direct or isolation work is important. Everything I do with abs has weight/resistance (if possible). Just a few off the top of my head:

Cable Crunches
    Cable Oblique Twist
    Russian Twists w/Medicine Ball
    Stability Ball Crunches w/weight plate
    Ab Rollouts
    Leg Raises
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I use an 8 pound medicine ball and 3 sets of 25 crunches, then 3 sets 25 leg lifts, 3 sets 25 flutter kicks, 3 sets 25 bicycles =300