Nearly-No Sodium Marinara

Options
Clew
Clew Posts: 910 Member
This is probably not a new recipe for anyone, but I just wanted to share. I love marinara sauce. I mean seriously. I was eating a ton of it (the jar kind) because it's really not all that much with the calories. But when I decided to cut my sodium down, I about crapped when I saw how much sodium is in pasta sauce in a jar! My usual kind was like 560mg for a quarter cup, and I don't know about you, but I'll eat more than 1/4 cup on my pasta. :/

Anyway, I found this simple, no frills marinara recipe and wanted to share. The basic formula is:

One 28 oz. can of Dei Fratelli crushed tomatoes
2 tb of Italian seasoning
1 clove of minced garlic (or to taste)

I specify Dei Fratelli because it only has like 15 mg of sodium per 1/4 cup.

Simmer these 3 ingredients to blend the flavors and enjoy. Add Sauteed onions, mushrooms, peppers, additional low-sodium diced tomatoes, whatever you like to fancy it up - but this basic recipe is just as enjoyable to me as the premade marinara. If you're trying to cut sodium I just thought this would be nice to pass on. :)

Replies

• baggins706
    baggins706 Posts: 310
    Options
    Yum thanks :wink:
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • NykkieC
    NykkieC Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • ksproston
    ksproston Posts: 6,929 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!
  • Gerkenstein
    Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thanks, Clew! I need to cut down on my sodium too.

Edit: So did not mean to rhyme. Sorry folks :blushing:
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    YOU*ARE*THE*WOMAN!! Thanks for sharing....... I'm going to try it over the weekend when family is home all at the same time! (Yup, it actually DOES happen sometimes!!):tongue: