20-somethings, whats your weight loss plans???

Options
jnnfrch
jnnfrch Posts: 65 Member
ive only ever know how to crash diet so was wondering what people are doing to lose weight the healthier way?!

just fewer calories and more exercise?

fewer carbs/calorie cycling/drinking green tea?!

Replies

• sexymuffintop
    Options
    ive only ever know how to crash diet so was wondering what people are doing to lose weight the healthier way?!

just fewer calories and more exercise?

fewer carbs/calorie cycling/drinking green tea?!

Just out of interest...Why just for the 20-somethings? Do 20-somethings do it differently to 30-somethings? lol
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Lol! 20 somethings are cool...nah, she probably just wants to know what people her age are doing.
  • katpatoneill
    katpatoneill Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yep, that's the only safe way I know how!

I want to take up running, but I'm sooooo terrible at it! And the more I practice the less good I seem to get. I don't get the whole carbs thing- but I do try to get more fruits in my diet, although I'm terrible with veggies, haha. I also want to lift weights and do general arm and core exercises, like planking, but I really don't know what else. Maybe add squats? Still trying to figure out what I'm doing exercise-wise.

Btdubs, I'm 20. :)
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Log in here everyday, honestly record your food and make an effort to be a little bit more active and you'll see results if you stick with it! I started when I was 19, I'll be 21 in June and as you can see from my ticker and my picture, it's worked for me!
  • MeganG12345
    MeganG12345 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm eating healthy foods in healthy potions and exercising regularly. Any other method will not be maintainable and will screw up your metabolism in the process.

My calorie counter is set to 1230 calories a day, but I exercise most days and try to eat back at least some of my exercise calories. I do cardio workouts (usually 30 minutes on an elliptical) 5 days a week. I do strength training (usually planks) 3 days a week.

I drink a lot of water, watch my sodium intake and try not to consume too many empty calories.

I'm not doing low carb or low fat. I just try to pick healthy carbs and fats. I do drink green tea, but mostly because I like a little caffeine in the morning and it seems to be the healthiest option.

I'm 25, 5'7 and currently 130lbs.

ETA: And to echo another commenter log in here every day and log your food and exercise. Keeping track of what I'm eating and burning helps me stick to my goals.
  • jnnfrch
    jnnfrch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the replies guys!

and haha im curious about 20-somethings because we're more likely to be in the same boat, similar lifestyles/responsibilities/university/studying/exams that kinda thing :)
  • sexyfit891
    sexyfit891 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Im 24....I cut out sodas, starting drinking more water. I go to the gym 6 times a week and have 1 rest day. I do 1 hour of cardio and 1 hour of strenght training. I track my calories. I try to plan out my meals for the week on sunday, so i can be prepared and not have to eat fast food.

THE HARD PART is cutting back on alcohol. If i do drink, i just take shots bc all those fruity, mixed drinks are just extra calories.

Hope that helps :-)

Good luck on your weight loss journey!!!
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I found that start a plan and stick to the plan. You'll find that ALOT of people mistake water weight for actual weight gains. Set your goal to 1.5lb a week when you get to the 60% done move to 1LB and closer to the goal like 90% move down to .5lb a week. Basically you want to train yourself on how to eat correctly over time. The real goal is to KEEP the weight off after losing it. This is actually harder then losing the weight itself.

Exercise the more the better. I started to do walk 30-60 minutes a day and it makes quite a difference in the long run. Now I goto the gym and do all sorts of activity. I'd rather goto the gym then watch tv now its fun to be active when you get into the grove of things and conquer the fear of failure.
  • JessicaDumont2
    JessicaDumont2 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am 21. :) I had to cut out all soda from my life and I threw away the junk food in my house. I try really hard to stick to my calories and workout at least 30 mins a day. I've only been at it for about 2-3 weeks and I can already see a difference and I feel much better. :D
  • Crumleygirl
    Crumleygirl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I just turned 21. I added exercise and am trying to eat better and more foods. I'm a picky eater so expanding horizons is great. Go to the gym daily even if it's only for a few minutes. Drink more water. It's very difficult balancing school and weight loss. I suggest working out right after school or you might put it off cause you're too tired. Try hundred calorie snacks they're expensive but yummy and give just a hint of chocolate. I have a drink about once a month and just try to fit it into my calories.
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I try to get plenty of veggies, lots of lean meat and more complex than simple/refined carbs. Alcohol is kind of a complicating factor, because I really like beer, but whatever. Going over one day every couple of weeks isn't going to undo my progress.

The hardest thing for me has been remembering that I'm 5'2" and female. Most of the people I spend my time with are guys who all have about 7-10 inches of height on me. I can't eat like them, or drink like them, and not expect to gain weight. It's hard, though, because I also really like food. I've gotten better about it, but it took a while.
  • ckredizon
    ckredizon Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 1000-1200kcal max per day -- trying to cut out hard carbs almost entirely (6 saltine cracker limit per day, cereal maybe once a week, eg). It's sort of a modified version of Cohen 1st Personal Diet -- sticking to lean meats and veggies for most meals. Trying to work in light cardio and strength training 3-4x/week. Calorie counting works best for my weight loss. It took many years and plateaus but so far am almost 40lbs down from my max (183lbs, now 145lbs) and am trying to lose another 25 or so. I'm worried about losing more muscle than fat with the calorie deficit so I'm trying to research more strength training :)
  • djmodernroq
    Options
    I am 33-10 =23 :) thats how i feel. eat well, work out (cardio, strenght training) etc..
  • cc141
    cc141 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi :)
    I'm following the calorie amount from MFP to lose 1 lb a week- for me it's 1330 calories. I stay under most of the time and eat back some exercise calories
    I eat what I want still (because if I deprive myself I binge), but in moderation and making a lot better food choices.
    I have also been doing Jillian Michaels body revolution- I've been doing it for 4 weeks and I love it.
    Feel free to add me- I log every day =]
  • AlFreebs
    AlFreebs Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 24 y/o 5' 10" 165lbs right now, with a goal weight of 140lbs. I've been following MFP religiously since the beginning of Feb because I'm getting married at the end of August. I have lost 16lbs so far. I've been following a 1240 cal diet (at least during the week, I relax it a little on the weekends) and working out with a personal trainer 2x week (all plyometrics) and on my own at least another 2x week. I try to avoid carbs and red meat for dinner. Honestly though, I think the biggest thing for me was cutting out BEER completely and all alcohol during the week! It's amazing how quickly those empty cals add up.

Get a goal in mind and stick to it. It's so rewarding to see results. Good luck!!
  • sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    . The real goal is to KEEP the weight off after losing it. This is actually harder then losing the weight itself.

Exercise the more the better. I started to do walk 30-60 minutes a day and it makes quite a difference in the long run. Now I goto the gym and do all sorts of activity. I'd rather goto the gym then watch tv now its fun to be active when you get into the grove of things and conquer the fear of failure.

^^^^
    Excellent! This is what I'm going for...want to get past the idea of just losing the pounds I want my fitness to be permanent. I want my exercise routine to become habit and not just a quick fix for a goal I'm setting for myself.

I'm in my late 20's so I've already been through where you are at but I actually weigh the same amount now as when I graduated college so I'll give my two cents and honestly I struggle with the same things I did back then....portion control and time management. I have the habit of overeating when I'm out with friends or eating fast food when I'm in a rush. I never made a point to exercise because I had more "imporatant" things to do.....now I see that none of that was getting me anywhere. While I'm not necessarily overweight there are parts of me that a way to squishy and I'm usually soooo tired.

To break out of these habits I'm trying to realize that I don't have to miss out on fun and socializing by making an effort to go to the gym everyday...yeah I'm resigned to going everyday:) I'm actually having fun doing it. Secondly I am tracking everything I eat and making sure my portions are appropriate.

Anyway...that's where I'm at:) Keep staying motivated and you will do great and see results!
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    lots of strength training with occasional cardio :D
  • jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I eat clean, and fall into eating the same things mon-fri because of budget and easy to prep while taking full course load and having a job. I train hard, sleep when I can, and on the weekends when its time to let loose I do. Work hard play hard.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    fewer calories works just fine for me.