Chip Alternatives / Veggie Chip Recipes

Options
When watching your fat, carb, and sodium intake, not to mention counting your calories, what do you reach for when deep-fried potato or corn chip cravings strike? I know there are vegetable alternatives -- zucchini chips, sweet potato chips, kale chips, etc. -- but one must consider these can also contain a good amount of fat from the oil in which they are tossed prior to baking.

On the topic of veggie chips, what are your favorite recipes? Kale chip recipes in particular seem a dime a dozen; which do you recommend?

Thank you!

Replies

• MeganG12345
    MeganG12345 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Honestly I just go for baby carrots. Sometimes I dunk them in hummus.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    McCain oven chips, and let the kids eat most of them. Oven chips are soooo much better than fried chips (fat wise), taste almost as good and a few usually takes the cavings away. Occasionally I have a cheat day and head for the chip shop for the full salt and vinegar running up your arm experience, but I haven't done that for several months now.
  • jade14b
    jade14b Posts: 22
    Options
    I am a chip lover and have discovered these healthier alternatives.

Salty- pickles(There are many varieties to choose from), nori sheets ( the seaweed used to roll sushi) rice cake crisps, Mary's Gone Crackers( in health good aisle) popcorn, Snappea Crisps ( at grocery store)

Crunchy- cucumbers slices, bell peppers, carrot chips/sticks

Chiplike- Trader Joes plantain chips, veggi sticks (at grocery store), Terra Chips veggi mix ( health food aisle. Potato, root, and vegetable chips)
  • cakegobbler
    cakegobbler Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Chips in US = crisps in UK
    Chips in UK = french fries in US

I was confused but now I see.... We don't have to make French fries out of kale!
  • mommyshortlegs
    mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Ha, yes, cakegobbler, I specifically used the words "deep-fried potato or corn chips" to hopefully avoid confusing the fish and chips crowd, though I see I wasn't successful. ;) Thanks for the suggestions thus far, everyone!