Headaches after running

Options
Hi all,

I started training for a marathon. I'm in the very early stages, as I just reached 3.75 miles today, and I have a minor headache.
After my last run (4 days ago) I got a major headache (took me out for 2 days).

Any ideas on what might be causing this?
I ate waffles and an egg about an hour before today's run.
I drank 8-12 oz of water before the run, and at least 40oz. after the run (sips during the run).
I see a chiropractor about once a month, so I should be ok there.
Today's run was on the treadmill (damn snow) but Monday's was outside.

Thoughts?

Replies

• weightlifter01
    weightlifter01 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Honestly...go and see a Dr.
  • curses7
    curses7 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Go see a doctor! It could be anything from diet to high blood pressure to something else entirely.

This isn't a diagnosis, just something to ask about. I have TMJ and I tend to clench my jaw as I run/work out and it can give me nasty headaches if I'm not mindful.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I get them too or at least used to and I found my issues was electrolytes being low. I would get a headache after every run and my husband thought it was tension in my traps. But once I started doing longer runs, I would drink a gatorade (I know not everyone is a fan, but I drink them anyway) and I haven't gotten a headache since. Of course, this is me and my experience. Obviously, I am not a doctor nor play one on TV so it probably is better to be safe than sorry and get checked out to be sure. I didn't because I recently had a physical and everything (BP and all bloodwork was fine) so I didn't pursue that angle
  • jsickman12
    jsickman12 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I would suggest taking a trip to the doctor as well, just to be sure. On that note, I would bet it has something to do with hydration/electrolites as stated previously.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    How much water are you drinking? If I'm even remotely dehydrated I get MASSIVE headaches when I work out that can sideline me from any sort of strenuous activity for days. It took me a while to figure out that was the cause.

But still see a doctor :smile:
  • Clement1ne
    Options
    Um, I don't think you need to run to the Doctor so fast....

Try eating a little more the hour before you train. Add in a fruit, a banana would be perfect for the potassium.

I suspect one egg and some waffles aren't really enough, especially for marathon training. The egg is good for nutrition, but the waffles... before a run... not so much.

Try this and IF the headaches persist then maybe see a Doc or decide that running isn't the best Cardio exercise for you.

Good luck!

Emmalee :smile:
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    How's your breathing when you run? Is it controlled, or are you breathing shortened and fast when you run? It may be your breathing pattern. Just a thought.. Next run, concentrate on your breathing..and see what happens. If you still get headaches, go see doc.