Working out makes me soooo hungry!

Options
So I've started working out just 3 weeks ago as I have alot of weight to lose, I've noticed since I started that the more I exercise, the hungrier I am! I am constantly hungry. Anyone else with this problem? And any solutions that help to curb the appetite? :)

Replies

• tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    My solution is to eat.
  • Crumleygirl
    Crumleygirl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I usually have to eat within two hours of getting home from the gym. Try fruits or vegetables. I eat cheese a lot. There may not be a way to curb the hunger, just deal with it. Eat for filling foods at meals like yogurt, fruits, veggies, and protein.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Being hungry all the time makes it really hard to stick to your plan. You should consider eating the exercise calories that you burn. If you have chosen the two pounds per week setting you might want to change it to 1.5 or 1 pound per week so you can eat more and still lose.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Have a protein bar/shake after working out. Also make sure your drinking enough water. I drink a gallon of water every time I'm at the gym. Your body could be sending thirst signals and your mistaken them as hunger. Your body wants to start the repairing process of the muscles sooner then later so feed it wisely.
  • Shawnzgirl78
    Shawnzgirl78 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I eat protein before and after.
  • Requiembell
    Requiembell Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I recommend eating.

Just eat healthy and track your food.
  • jgcurry3
    jgcurry3 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I make a shake immediately after working out. 1 Scoop protein, 1 scoop carb powder, water. then i eat a normal meal about an hour later
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Working out makes you hungry? Another person started a thread saying it made them horny. Am I missing something? What the hell do you people do in the gym? After a workout I feel sick, dizzy, nauseous and exhausted. I feel disgusting and need a shower. I feel drained and could use a cup of coffee and I'm thirsty; so very damned thirsty even though I drink about half a gallon during the workout. You people must be going to some kind of luxury gym where you get pedicures.
  • Requiembell
    Requiembell Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Working out makes you hungry? Another person started a thread saying it made them horny. Am I missing something? What the hell do you people do in the gym? After a workout I feel sick, dizzy, nauseous and exhausted. I feel disgusting and need a shower. I feel drained and could use a cup of coffee and I'm thirsty; so very damned thirsty even though I drink about half a gallon during the workout. You people must be going to some kind of luxury gym where you get pedicures.

Oh hell! This made me laugh! I feel the same when I work out! LOL

Ha! I concentrate on not projectile vomiting against the windshield as I drive home.
  • Project_Jodie
    Options
    Me too! If you must eat - eat healthy! Protein based snacks are great cos they fill you up. Still track. Also up your water intake sometimes you might be more dehydrated than hungry

I eat then If I still feel famished after and I"ve eaten my caloreies then I"m finding a cup of herbal tea helps me - also keeping busy takes my mind off it.

It gets easier I promise!
  • betterbestbestest
    betterbestbestest Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Have a protein bar/shake after working out. Also make sure your drinking enough water. I drink a gallon of water every time I'm at the gym. Your body could be sending thirst signals and your mistaken them as hunger. Your body wants to start the repairing process of the muscles sooner then later so feed it wisely.
    i agree drink lots of water, and eat. dont' deny yourself, but make healthy choices. i used to be that way too. it goes away its just because your body is freaking out because you decreased your calories. eat some of your exercise calories.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    drink ice water after or have a sensible snack
  • lheyens
    lheyens Posts: 62
    Options
    get your protein after the gym, and water! lots of water!
  • Nicole65
    Nicole65 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

This! I always bring some protein powder and my blender ball for after my workouts, I can guzzle it walking out of the gym or in the car immediately after and it takes my hunger feelings away.
  • jaf320
    jaf320 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Over the last year or so, I've been doing a lot more yoga (generally a flow/vinyasa type class that can be pretty intense-NOT the sitting and stretching type) instead of being a mostly elliptical trainer person. I have noticed that I feel FAR less ravenous doing this. I've heard that strength training can actually decrease hunger as compared to cardio and I think this theory is at work with my experience. I can tell from the type of work we do in class (planks, chatarangas, lunges, warrior poses, etc) that I'm getting resistance training with my own body weight. Subjectively speaking, I also feel that my body just looks better-arms are more toned, have leg muscle, much better posture, abs are better (NOT perfect because they are not my best feature-LOL). Don't get me wrong, I definitely still get hungry-I'm not one of those people who is constantly forgetting to eat/etc., but I don't feel like I spend the day dreaming of food or frequently want to eat my entire fridge. I'd definitely recommend that you try some different yoga classes and see how you like it, especially in light of your hunger issues.
  • pkiss25
    pkiss25 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The reason you're hungry is because your body is craving food to repair itself!

Post workout nutrition is the most important meal (apart from breakfast) because it give your body what it needs to help it recover. This is particularly vital for resistance training rather than cardio, as a sugary drink or meal combined with protein after a heavy weight session as it raises the insulin levels in our body. Insulin is good at two things - storing fat (any other time except for post workout), and shuttling nutrients into muscles that need recovery. By increasing insulin after a workout, you shuttle nutrients to the worked muscles faster, hence speedier recovery. Any other time, try to consume predominantly complex carbs.

If you're finding that your post workout meal is blowing your overall calorific intake out, try using an appetite surpressant throughout the day to reduce your hinger cravings. I like to use Swisse Appetite Surpressor. I find it works really well!

Hope this helps.
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options

Oh hell! This made me laugh! I feel the same when I work out! LOL

Ha! I concentrate on not projectile vomiting against the windshield as I drive home.

:laugh: :laugh: ^^THIS^^:laugh: :laugh:
  • meagank28
    meagank28 Posts: 52
    Options
    CASHEWS LIGHTLY SALTED WILL SATISFY YOU WITHOUT EATING ALOT OF THEM. YOU EAT ABOUT 1/3 OF A CUP AND IT REALLY HELPS.
  • MagentaChallenger
    Options

After working out I feel both exhausted and horny. I think it's because when doing any kind of exercise it helps release those "feel good hormones" in your brain- the name of this chemical has left me at the moment. After working out, despite being tired- catching up on my breaths- I feel good and it makes me feel better about myself and lifts my spirits. In turn, it also turns be on because I feel good, my brain feels good and so over all, my entire body is in a good mood. :)
  • skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    You should be eating back your exercise calories *BUT* if you're hungry in excess of those, *then* this post is relevant.