Protein Suggestions?

fonrouge82
fonrouge82 Posts: 50 Member
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
I have realized after doing MFP since May, that my body functions much better with a 40% protein, 30% carb, and 30% fat ratio. I cannot seem to get enough protein in though without going over on sodium levels. I would love some suggestions for healthy protein sources. Eggs make me feel like this :sick: ...which isn't helpful but it is what it is....I'm not very picky otherwise. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :heart:

Replies

• jlrolland
    jlrolland Posts: 5
    Try adding yogurt and a light cheese to what you eat. I add yogurt to berries for breakfast, sunflower seeds and a light cheese to salads. Hope this helps. Jen
  • S_H84
    S_H84 Posts: 75
    Protein bars?
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Grill whole chickens or find chicken and fish without any added salt and/or sodium-based broth injected.
  • baggins706
    baggins706 Posts: 310
    Beef, Chicken, Fish, Beans, Nuts, Greek Yogurt & Soy.
  • asteppaway
    asteppaway Posts: 54 Member
    Raw Almonds, they come without the salt and are super good for you! You can just grab a handful to snack on and your good to go!
  • you should try protein shakes
  • coderchris
    coderchris Posts: 79 Member
    Try Sara Lee low sodium deli Turkey breast it is 180 mg of sodium for 1 oz vs 500 mg. It tastes great, another option is to bake your own turkey breast. Protein powder in a morning smoothie can help also.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    have you tried egg whites? not sure if that will make you :sick: or not...but they have great protein. natural almonds, light sting cheese, peanut butter, grilled chicken, fish, tuna........but I also supplement with muscle milk light, whey protein, or pure protein bars to get my protein where I want it.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    1 cup frozen mixed berries, 1 scoop of vanilla EAS whey protein and .5 cup fat free milk (or yogurt) makes a great high protein fruit smoothie!
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    I was having the same problem, then I made the decision to eat protein with every meal/snack. I eat a lot of greek yogurt and cheese sticks. I also look at the protein content of the other things I eat when deciding between brands/kinds, etc. A gram or 2 goes a long way over a day. Good luck!
  • fonrouge82
    fonrouge82 Posts: 50 Member
    Thank you all for the fantastic suggestions! There are a few that had slipped my mind and I will certainly try! I have not tried protein powder but what a great idea! It is because of the support from wonderful people like you that I :heart: MFP!
  • poisonapple
    poisonapple Posts: 30 Member
    Jillian Michaels Whey Protein Powder is the best! Only 100 cals and 60 mg of sodium. I usually mix a cup of fruit, a scoop of powder and a 1/2 cup of either water or milk and some ice. It gets me through my workouts with flying colors. Great for breakfast or a pik-me-up in the afternoon.
    Protein bars are filled with so many bad carbs and crap that in my opinion totally counteracts the beneficial part of them.
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    A half-cup of 1% cottage cheese has 13 g of protein and only 80 calories.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Dairy products (greek yogurt is really great)
    Lentils
    Beans (especially soy 29grams per 1 cup)
    Chickpeas (these are beans but usually listed as chickpeas and not garbonzo beans, weird)
    Soy products if you're not opposed to them
    Protein shakes
This discussion has been closed.