Future and Past brides

Options
Okay so my wedding is June 23rd, I have been bustin *kitten* to lose around 44lbs before then. I have 17 to go!

I'll still be overweight, but I will be back to my original weight when I bought the dress.

My question for past brides. Did Losing the weight help you to be more confident on the big day, what was your motivator?
Future Brides : What was the big motivator why did you want to lose the weight? What are you doing to help and did you buy your dress to small and hope it would fit? Or did you wait?

My big motivation came in October at a friends wedding, I had gotten so overweight no matter what I did I looked bloated in all my pictures! I refused to look that way in my wedding photos!

Just interested in some bridal Discussion :)

Replies

• Narla444
    Narla444 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

I was a maid of honour last month, the bride had recently at least 20lbs and didn't have time to get the dress altered. We just laced it up as much as we could without getting weird puckers in the the fabric. She was more concerned that the dress wouldn't fit her new size correctly. The photographer at the wedding was awesome, and kept emphasizing posture - good posture makes you look SO much better!

I wore a strapless dress for my wedding 2 years ago and found some fantastic foundation pieces. I had mine altered 3 months before the wedding, so I just worked on having better arms and staying roughly the same size.

Still hate the ***** who told me during the reception that people with back fat shouldn't wear strapless dressses. It still made me self-conscious enough that is all I saw in the photos.
  • chercee
    chercee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

I think weight is one of those automatic bride things - either losing it, gaining it, or redistributing it. After all, it is the most photographed day of your life, and white isn't exactly slimming!! :embarassed:

For me, (October 2013 bride) I'm worried mostly about my arms and my face. My dress isn't strapless, but it has a strapless option for later (top lace layer comes off, ivory strapless dress underneath). I have this fear of every photo having a double chin lol so BURN FAT BURN!

@Narla - who says that to someone? Really? I'm amazed at what kind of crap comes out of people's mouths sometimes. What a horrible thing to say to a bride - and a hostess, at that. Attend a party and then dis the hostess/bride? I don't think so. I hope you told them to STFU. :explode:
  • Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! September bride here, working to move these last 15lbs!
  • XX_Miss_RoseMary_XX
    XX_Miss_RoseMary_XX Posts: 274 Member
    Options

Still hate the ***** who told me during the reception that people with back fat shouldn't wear strapless dressses. It still made me self-conscious enough that is all I saw in the photos.

Thanks!
    And I CAN NOT believe some one would say that to you at your own flippin wedding!
  • XX_Miss_RoseMary_XX
    Options
    Congratulations!

I think weight is one of those automatic bride things - either losing it, gaining it, or redistributing it. After all, it is the most photographed day of your life, and white isn't exactly slimming!! :embarassed:

For me, (October 2013 bride) I'm worried mostly about my arms and my face. My dress isn't strapless, but it has a strapless option for later (top lace layer comes off, ivory strapless dress underneath). I have this fear of every photo having a double chin lol so BURN FAT BURN!

@Narla - who says that to someone? Really? I'm amazed at what kind of crap comes out of people's mouths sometimes. What a horrible thing to say to a bride - and a hostess, at that. Attend a party and then dis the hostess/bride? I don't think so. I hope you told them to STFU. :explode:

Thanks !

And YES! I am terrified of the arm fat, and of having a double chin. I take horrid candid photos!
    My dress had thin straps :) I dont want to have to worry about pulling it up while Im shaking my groove thang ;) LOL
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

my first wedding was over 20 years ago and I chose the cinderella look that was in at the time... lace puffy sleeves and the puffy dress... I really loved it! and the sweetheart neckline was nice with lace up to my chin... :)

my husband went to heaven... God has sent me a wonderful man. these days the look is strapless. I have yet to find a dress with sleeves. I still want to lose 10 - 15 pounds, but I don't know if the dresses I'll see will be what I want...
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options

.....Still hate the ***** who told me during the reception that people with back fat shouldn't wear strapless dressses. It still made me self-conscious enough that is all I saw in the photos.

WHY do people do such things??!

I got married a couple of years ago (2nd timer) and although I was sad I hadn't lost much weight, I was feeling pretty-ish. I had an outdoor yard wedding and it was a warm day. But my yard is shady and I felt comfy. Anyway I wore a knee length lace dress with a built in light silky slip, it had lace cap/short sleeves. Well the minute our vows were over, when guests gathered to congratulate us, one woman said "of course you're gonna go change, that's too hot!". My *fat* brain heard her saying I looked fat, though okay maybe that's not what she meant ;). In any case it was rude AND a stupid comment anyway. As I said, I was in a light short sleeved dress, bare legs, and sandals. I was actually wearing basically the same as her and all the other women. It made me uncomfy, unconfident, and put a negative spin on the rest of my day :(.

My point being, I think the only thing about her appearance to say to a bride on her wedding day is something like "you look lovely" LOL ~ Congrats to the bride-to-be!
  • XX_Miss_RoseMary_XX
    Options
    No Rose! I want to hear them!

thank you fro sharing :)
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

Thanks!
    And I CAN NOT believe some one would say that to you at your own flippin wedding!

Srsly. I would have asked them to leave. No way you come to my party and insult me, and I'm letting you eat my food for free.
  • JEMQuilter
    JEMQuilter Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think all brides are beautiful!! that being said--i am soon to be the mother of the groom and am working hard for the same reason all you brides are--to look good in the photos. just smile and enjoy yourselves--you will be beautiful. we can sometimes be our own worst critics.
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I got married in a hot air balloon in a pair of jeans with nobody but my pilot and my husband. No stress, just the way I like it :)
  • Clement1ne
    Options
    Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekk!

I AM A FUTURE BRIDE!!!

I am getting MARRIED May 24th, 2014! I started my weigh loss VERY early. lol

My Motivations:
    - Wedding Photos
    - I want to be at a proper weight when I get pregnant, in the future.
    - Frankly, I don't want my dress shopping trips to be a nightmare. When I was at my heaviest, regular shopping was hard enough. Being large and desperately wanting to look thinner in your dress? No thanks.
    - I want my family to see me as beautiful as I can be and being 200 lbs, is not as beautiful as I can be.

Thanks for this thread!

All my best to you ladies and your upcoming weddings!

Emmalee :smile:
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options

Still hate the ***** who told me during the reception that people with back fat shouldn't wear strapless dressses.

What an effing tool. Seriously who says that at someone's wedding??!!

I got married 2 years ago, and didn't lose any weight for the day. I bought a dress that was really flattering on me though, and I did feel beautiful on the day, and I love my wedding pictures.

I'm losing weight now because I think it's the healthy thing to do, so keep that in mind while you're losing too! No sense in losing a bunch for the wedding and then gaining it all right back! Use it as motivation to change your life for the better!
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! September bride here, working to move these last 15lbs!

You look amazing, by the way!!!
  • LuckyMunky
    LuckyMunky Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I was actually pregnant on my wedding day! :laugh: I was in my first trimester, I was 20 lbs lighter than I was before I ordered my dress, and I felt amazing. My gown was too big and, for a strapless gown, that means bad news. It wouldn't stay up properly, it was heavy, and there were a few times when I thought it would fall right off and expose my boobs for everybody to see (and this was after I had it altered!) That said, I still felt gorgeous in it and very confident. Everybody noticed my weight loss and was very happy for me.

If you do have a strapless gown, make sure your boobs are well secured! lol!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    i got married fat and i looked good. LOL
    that pic there (profile pic)is my wedding pic
    'i wasnt worried about it
    i know he love s me no matter what and i felt sexy even fat.
  • rachelklewis3
    rachelklewis3 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I was married June 6, 2009. I lost about 25 lbs. before my wedding, and it felt great! I was still overweight at 160 lbs (5'1") but still felt really good about myself- especially when I had to get my dress taken in twice! My motivation was just that I wanted to look my best on my wedding day and also be in shape since I knew we were going to start a family shortly after we married. Since then I have had 2 little girls (3 yrs and 10 mos.) and have gained and lost the same 20 lbs. about 3 times lol. Now I look back at my wedding pictures and am motivated to get back to that size and hopefully a bit smaller! I think you have done a great job and as long as you feel good you will be a BEAUTIFUL bride :)
  • StephanieCo3
    StephanieCo3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options

I was a size 4 and at the lightest weight of my adult life and my (now ex) inlaws still made fat jokes the first time they saw my pictures. I cried and cried. Some people are just horrible.

@OP
    When I got married I dropped about 10 lbs and it felt like a huge difference. It was the smallest I'd ever been and it made me very confident. I really liked buying a small sized dress. I bought mine a little tight and by the time I wore it it fit comfortably.

Now I'm divorced, but my bf and I are pretty serious so the idea of my future wedding inspires me to lose weight. I have a lot more to lose this time to be where I want. Also my boyfriend is really skinny so I'm motivated to weigh less than him by the time we marry.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    One thing I learned. Always buy a dress a size bigger if you are unsure of what size you will be on the day....its SO much easier to take IN a dress than let it out. I was a size 8 when I went for my gown, got pregnant and had to have it let out to a size 12! I was so afraid I was going to bust the seams that I ended up nearly fainting at the altar because I was trying not to breathe too deeply. :D
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Don't bother...you'll just gain weight your first year married anyway. :-P

OK I'm mostly kidding but...it happened to me after losing weight far too aggressively before my wedding and I know I'm not the only one! Keep working on it but please don't stress yourself too much during an already stressful time and lose it healthy and at a reasonable pace.