Outside joggers.. how do you find enough daylight?

Options
2»

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    if you wait for everything to be perfect, you'll be waiting for a long time.

make time to run in the early morning hours. short, 20-30 minute runs are great. on the weekend, that is when you can have a long distance later in the morning run.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    http://www.knucklelights.com/
    This is what I use in the mornings. The only real drawback is I don't find them very comfortable when I run without gloves. The provide enough illumination for me to see what is in front of me and becuase it is not a headlamp I can point them elsewhere without having to turn my head.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I love jogging in the park near my house, but don't particularly feel safe jogging when there is no daylight.

I work normal business hours, meaning I leave the house at 8 am and get home at 6 pm. Jogging before work is out... completely not enough time between sunrise and time to leave for work. Jogging during lunch break is out too... my schedule is just too inconsistent and I am on the road sometimes.

Jogging after work provides plenty of time, but I feel like dinner gets in the way. I currently jog as soon as I get home for about 45 minutes then spend about 30 to 45 minutes cooking. This puts me eating at 8 pm, which I know is bad. I'd like to increase the time I spend jogging, but I feel like that would really be pushing dinner back too late. Also, I feel like cooking/eating after jog is bad because I dread cooking the entire time I jog. I'd rather have everything out of the way so I can just enjoy my jog.

What do all of you joggers, cooks, and 9 to 5'ers do to avoid this dilemma? I'm also dealing with a fiancé who is helpless in the kitchen, doesn't like crockpot food, and would be pretty sad if I just stopped cooking/eating dinner.

Why is eating after 8pm bad??

That was my first thought. You're actually in a good position to eat at 8 if you have just gone for a run....you got your metabolism going to burn calories.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Headlamp. I do most of my weekly runs starting at around 5:30 am. I even did one last night close to 10:00 pm. There is no window of opportunity when you use your own light. Any time is running time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I usually run in the morning during the summer months when it's cool and I run at lunch or after work in the spring, summer, fall. If I run after work, I get home at 6...I can be on the road by 6:10. I don't go any longer than 45 minutes so I'm home before 7. I'm also the cook in the house and most of what I prepare during the work week takes about 30 minutes.

Also, eating after 8 is no biggie...that's just an old wives tale. My wife an I routinely eat dinner around 8:30/9:00 PM. On my lifting nights I don't even get home until 7:30ish
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Have to admit most of my running takes place before the sun comes up. If your safety issue is being seen there is plenty of reflective gear and running lights available that work wonders. If on the other hand your issue is personal safety all I can recommend is running with a faithful partner like my own, Haley the 85 pound German Shepherd. Enjoy your runs!
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I do just what you do, run when I get home at 6:00pm, then come home and cook. Although, I do take a few minutes to cool off before getting into the kitchen. Am I very new to cooking, just cooked for the 1st time in Jan '12, so I keep meals very simple but I also don't care that it is often around 8:00 when I have dinner.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    I never run in the daylight during the week. I also live in a decent neighborhood, I guess I'm lucky.
  • nytius
    nytius Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Cooking in the morning is a fantastic idea! Any suggestions on healthy recipes that are good "left over" like that? (You know how some foods taste awful reheated and others taste even better)
    I had this issue until I started cooking ahead of time. Sunday afternoons I usually cook up dinner for a couple of nights. Wed my husband cooks, Thursday morning I wake up early and cook before I get dressed for work. Friday is free for all. I know its a strange schedule but I had the same issue. I don't run at night and cooking in the morning or on weekends has been working so far. Good luck!

Absolutely...All different kinds of salads, you can really have fun with ingredients and all it means is cutting up your ingredients in advance...then you just have to cook whatever protein you may want to go along with it (I LOVE no shell taco salad with pico de gallo, I use turkey or lean ground beef and it gets better as the seasoning sets during the day). I love goulashes as well. I call them southern stir fry LOL. You can get creative here ...if you like food from the gulf you can do quick gumbo with no roux by letting the okra cook down until it becomes its own gravy...if you like Italian you can mix tomatoes, onions, garlic and almost any protein, combinations are endless. You can always add couscous or a fiber rich starch (brown rice or whole wheat pasta) to any of those and they will be soaking up the flavors while you are at work. I love to cook so I could go on forever :)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I run as soon as I get home, usually I don't even go home. I just change in the car or at work.

as for food its for a family of 4, so:
    crock pot
    Take out
    have the wife cook something
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have to be a work by 7 am...so I run at 4 am.or so on my run days. I have no other time to do it, so I suck it up and hit the road And I usually save enough calories to have a bowl of cereal and fruit right before I go to bed. No worries, there are lots of myths and silly theories floating around . Carbs are bad is one. Not eating after a certain time is another. :o)
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I go out before the sun comes up and just wear reflective and bright clothing.

I don't really see what options you have (other than a treadmill) if you can't do it before work or at lunch and don't feel like you have enough time after work before dinner, either.

This is what I do. I run in my neighborhood, which is pretty safe, and I keep my music on just low enough so that I can still hear stuff going on around me. I prefer to run when it's dark because I don't focus as much on speed. When I run in the daylight I feel like I'm moving at a snail's pace!
  • JessicaOnKeto
    JessicaOnKeto Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same exact situation as you. :ohwell:
    I live with my boyfriend, we both work, 9-6pm as well, we try to run quickly once we get home, and then after jogging, come home to make dinner together, but I find it near impossible to find more hours to make our jogs in the day longer then 45min.
    Sorry I don't have much input, I was toying with the idea of pre-made meals or jogging the in the morning before work though. (Although we are both not morning people, so it'd be a little difficult) :laugh:
    Good luck though, and bumping for ideas! :drinker:
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I have to say this post kind of cracks me up. It seems like you genuinely want to get out there, but you keep letting things become excuses. If you don't feel safe, find a way to change that: I run in the dark more often then I do in the light, I run in the snow, rain, mud, heat, etc. I love running and as someone pointed out above, if you wait for ideal conditions you might never get out there. If it's a safety issue take some self defense classes, carry a weapon or an alarm, don't run with headphones, be alert and aware of your surroundings. Run in a more populated area, I run in my neighborhood and have only been frightened once. You know bad things happen in the world but you can't let that dictate your life. Get reflective clothing and a head lamp if you are concerned about being able to be seen and being able to navigate well.

I've also eaten supper at 11:00 pm or as early as 5:00 pm and it's never caused me health issues nor has it slowed my progress as my ticker will tell the story. I run three days a week, one short run, one moderate run and one long run. If I absolutely have to I will hit the gym for hamster time on the treadmill. If you have a passion for running you have to make it happen. There's been some great ideas posted, crock pots are magical, you can cook ANYTHING in them!
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have to say this post kind of cracks me up. It seems like you genuinely want to get out there, but you keep letting things become excuses. If you don't feel safe, find a way to change that: I run in the dark more often then I do in the light, I run in the snow, rain, mud, heat, etc. I love running and as someone pointed out above, if you wait for ideal conditions you might never get out there. If it's a safety issue take some self defense classes, carry a weapon or an alarm, don't run with headphones, be alert and aware of your surroundings. Run in a more populated area, I run in my neighborhood and have only been frightened once. You know bad things happen in the world but you can't let that dictate your life. Get reflective clothing and a head lamp if you are concerned about being able to be seen and being able to navigate well.

I've also eaten supper at 11:00 pm or as early as 5:00 pm and it's never caused me health issues nor has it slowed my progress as my ticker will tell the story. I run three days a week, one short run, one moderate run and one long run. If I absolutely have to I will hit the gym for hamster time on the treadmill. If you have a passion for running you have to make it happen. There's been some great ideas posted, crock pots are magical, you can cook ANYTHING in them!

Love it!! This describes exactly my approach. When there is a will, there is a way!
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I work 8-4:30pm, and have to take my son to/from school.

I get up and run at 5am and see a lot of other early morning runners/walkers at that hour. I live in a safe neighborhood that's well lit. I also wear a reflective vest and it has flashing lights on it which I turn on for foggy days. I prefer to run in the morning for a number of reasons, but mostly because it gets done and it starts out for a good day.

I wouldn't run on trails or areas that aren't well lit.
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options

Love it!! This describes exactly my approach. When there is a will, there is a way!

Ditto on the above,

I run early in the morning, try to get on the road before 530am on my run days.

I am fortunate to live where we have many lighted streets, although, I would still be out there bright and early. My early morning routine has created some interesting encounters with a few possums and racoons. Then there is my regular speed walker, senior citizen runner, and newspaper delivery friends. We each wonder where the other is if we miss a day.

My thought is, just get out there and run, run, run!!
  • sundog10
    sundog10 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I am another morning runner; I save my longer runs for the weekend, but during the week I am up and out by 4:30 am. Believe it or not you get used to getting up early. I am lucky enough to live near a high school track that is lit up with enough light. And while it is a lot harder getting the miles in on a track going around and around, its a safe area and I feel great the rest of the day. For me, it works. If i wait until later after I get home, I usually will put it off. On the other hand, staying up after 9 pm is late for me.
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I don't have a job. It frees up a lot of my time. :laugh: