Exercise, Metabolism and Food Intake

Options
When we log exercise on MFP it says we have earned more calories that day. If a person doesn't generally eat extra to compensate for these extra calories burned will her metabolism slow down?

Replies

• KatNewby
    KatNewby Posts: 26
    Options
    I would love to know the answer to this.

Because, to be honest, if it does slow down my metabolism, I would rather not work-out and restrict my calories to 1,200 than eat more and work-out more.

I just hate taking the time to work out, and I would rather cook less.
  • brinsy
    brinsy Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm not too sure but I don't think so as the exercise itself would speed up,your metabolism anyways? No? I don't know though for sure I'm only guessing
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Depends on the subjects current metabolic rate, hormones, activity etc.

Body fat exists fir certain reasons and the more important reason is fir energy storage.
    So if you under eat then work out too much, your metabolism will seek very smart ways to protect the organism.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0

This is a lengthy explanation.
    If you have any Qs feel free to PM me.
  • bioc458
    bioc458 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself this:

Do people who diet and exercise lose more weight than those who only diet?

The answer is yes.

Even if metabolism slows down with exercise, which to my knowledge it does not, it most certainly cannot slow down enough to negate the exercise you did. That is the whole point of doing exercise to lose weight (as well as the ancillary benefits to cardiac, respiratory, and endothelial cell function).
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself this:

Do people who diet and exercise lose more weight than those who only diet?

The answer is yes.

Even if metabolism slows down with exercise, which to my knowledge it does not, it most certainly cannot slow down enough to negate the exercise you did. That is the whole point of doing exercise to lose weight (as well as the ancillary benefits to cardiac, respiratory, and endothelial cell function).

Don't confuse weight loss with fat loss.
    Both are very different.
    Energy balance is paramount in the scheme of things.

OP what's your goal?

A) look good clothed?

B) look good naked?
  • purplestrawberry411
    Options
    I really appreciate the detailed responce. I've taken in a small portion of the information and will undoubtedly refer back to it - at which point I just might need the help you've offered. Thank you kindly.
  • Momieof2girls
    Momieof2girls Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Agreed
    Depends on the subjects current metabolic rate, hormones, activity etc.

Body fat exists fir certain reasons and the more important reason is fir energy storage.
    So if you under eat then work out too much, your metabolism will seek very smart ways to protect the organism.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/937712-in-place-of-a-road-map-ver-3-0

This is a lengthy explanation.
    If you have any Qs feel free to PM me.