Signs of metabolism changes

Options
Been dieting and exercising for most of the last month. Exercise every day (twice a day on weekdays after the first week) and only eating 1200 calories a day.

After reading the majority of the sticky threads I am realizing I am eating too little, as I do not eat the calories I have been working off. Going to correct this some as I go along, but I had questions about warning signs I need to look for.

I am a male. I am 5'5, started at 170 almost 4 weeks ago, am 157 now(goal is 150 then start losing slower or not at all and start lifting weights). I know a big portion of this loss is water weight, but there is still a bit of fat in there as I have been told my face seems thinner and my clothes are looser fitting.

I do not really eat many meals, I just snack throughout the day. I eat a lot of carbs, but I don't eat that healthily. Few salads(love baby spinach) in a day, apples and such. But not a lot of them obviously..

My question is, what are the signs of my metabolism going south? I'm rarely hungry and when I am I eat but if its close to bed and I was at 1200(before exercise) I would just go to bed hungry. Exercising on a weekday (2x day) is about 600 calories, about 350-400 on weekends. SO technically my calorie intake is about 600-700. I realize there is a thread about specifically that (700 cal) but it doesn't completely apply. My lifestyle is sedentary too, kind of, but I exercise daily and walk as much as I can. I also eat a lot of carbs so idk if that differs either.

So, yeah, to repeat the question: Are there any warning signs I should look for? Is it extremely stupid to wait for them?(probably yes, and I am going to eat more anyways) Are there any long term effects to my body that can be caused over a few months?

Replies

• BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    It's an incremental process as your body digests your muscles. Just stop it. Eat more.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    If you're netting 6-700 calories/day and you aren't hungry, that would be one...
  • mrsmegb
    mrsmegb Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you're eating under your BMR, you're definitely eating too little. MFP is amazing for tracking & support, but not so good at making sure you're really eating enough. When I was eating the 1200cal/day, I was falling asleep at 8pm after sleeping in until 8-9am. After I learned about TDEE cuts, it made SOO much more sense and the pounds started coming off.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    If you're netting 6-700 calories/day and you aren't hungry, that would be one...

Yup - and the other signs tend to show up after the damage is already done, as the other poster noted.
  • Ajambol
    Ajambol Posts: 4
    Options
    I get hungry, I just get satisfied with a snack, usually about 200 calories I haven't really been hungry the whole time, and started this "diet" from the first day at the gym. If this is still a symptom then great, good to know and thank you. I do go to bed hungry sometimes but thats no big deal to me. I am definitely going to eat more but am just wondering if I have already done damage or if 3 weeks was a good window to notice my error. I'm a learn it all kind of person, the link given is fantastic and I am taking the information into thought.

I will increase my calories the right amount, but any and all information on the subject is greatly appreciated
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    As you hopefully start to eat more, be aware that a higher meal frequency translates into more insulin spikes. When your insulin level is high, you do not burn fat, not until your insulin level is lowered, which takes time after a meal. When you allow for time between meals, maintaining low levels of insulin allows your body to more easily tap into your stored fat for fuel. A scenario of three meals a day and a mid-afternoon snack which makes you fuller for longer boosts your metabolism. Real food works best naturally.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    1200 calories just doesn't compute with me. I usually have 1800 in a day and I am losing over a pound a week. I just can't imagine, but anyway I couldn't imagine 1800 in a day either a couple years ago. So, I would say eat more especially protein, it's hard to eat too much when you concentrate on eating protein with all your meals.
  • Ajambol
    Options
    As you hopefully start to eat more, be aware that a higher meal frequency translates into more insulin spikes. When your insulin level is high, you do not burn fat, not until your insulin level is lowered, which takes time after a meal. When you allow for time between meals, maintaining low levels of insulin allows your body to more easily tap into your stored fat for fuel. A scenario of three meals a day and a mid-afternoon snack which makes you fuller for longer boosts your metabolism. Real food works best naturally.

Great, good advice. I was also really curious about calorie spacing. Is there a place I can read more about this?
  • Ajambol
    Options
    If you're eating under your BMR, you're definitely eating too little. MFP is amazing for tracking & support, but not so good at making sure you're really eating enough. When I was eating the 1200cal/day, I was falling asleep at 8pm after sleeping in until 8-9am. After I learned about TDEE cuts, it made SOO much more sense and the pounds started coming off.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Amazing link, I am picking through it thoroughly, and it is giving me a lot of great information. Thanks

Also, I was very curious about the estimates of calories burned. The bike says one thing, myfitnesspal says another. The closest I can get to is "moderate" which still underestimates what the bike says. I get that every body is different and no math is going to be exact but I would like to know how I can determine with a little more accuracy how much I am working off. I want to maintain a good balance but know not to expect perfect accuracy.

I do sweat, quite a bit, even with the fan on me (I don't always use it though) while on the stationary bike and keep increasing resistance and then rpms as I get stronger, but I definitely don't consider any of my workouts "vigorous" and am kinda skeptical about the calories I've burned actually being over 300. I like to underestimate but am now a bit worried that doing so will keep me under the calories I need to do this in a healthy sense.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Why wait until you lose 7 more pounds before weight lifting? Start now!!!! It will help shape your body and with your metabolism. Oh, and eat more!!! :happy:
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    In my case, there was a direct correlation with the amount of hair that appeared on my back and disappeared from my head.

oh wait...nevermind :)
  • mrsmegb
    mrsmegb Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Also, I was very curious about the estimates of calories burned. The bike says one thing, myfitnesspal says another. The closest I can get to is "moderate" which still underestimates what the bike says. I get that every body is different and no math is going to be exact but I would like to know how I can determine with a little more accuracy how much I am working off. I want to maintain a good balance but know not to expect perfect accuracy.

I do sweat, quite a bit, even with the fan on me (I don't always use it though) while on the stationary bike and keep increasing resistance and then rpms as I get stronger, but I definitely don't consider any of my workouts "vigorous" and am kinda skeptical about the calories I've burned actually being over 300. I like to underestimate but am now a bit worried that doing so will keep me under the calories I need to do this in a healthy sense.

For accuracy, you'll need a chest strap heart rate monitor. I have a few examples:
    1 - Zumba Rush on xBox 360 usually doubles what I actually burned, whereas Your Shape: Fitness Evolved usually has me at a third of what I burned.
    2 - Nike+'s Running App is usually 1/3rd under what I actually burned.
    3 - My treadmill is all over the place -- it'll have me at 37 cals when my HRM says 240.

Things like FitBit aren't really worth the cost in my opinion after lots of research. For example, it can't sense your motion while on the bike. HRM's with touch sensors aren't accurate either because you aren't going to run with your fingers on the watch the entire time, they can only estimate... not good for any kind of workout with variation.

I got my Polar F4 for $80ish last year, and now you can get just the strap and bluetooth sensors for the same price, if not less, if you have an iPhone or Android to run the app. I'm tempted to get the bluetooth one and keep the watch one for when I'm camping.
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Typically when your metabolism changes like that your elbows will start itching more often and you'll find yourself repeating yourself and repeating yourself and you'll crave things that you sometimes don't crave except now you do and you'll feel a bit nostalgic and even doodle odd things on paper. Hope this helps!