CSAs?

Options
CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. Traditionally what happens is that you pay a certain amount to a local farm up front, and then throughout the season (about May through October) you receive a box of fresh veggies and produce from that farm either weekly or biweekly. What you get depends on what they grow and are able to harvest. It's a great way of getting local usually organic veggies, fruits, herbs, eggs, and meats depending on the farm you join and what they grow.

What turns me off is if there is a crop failure of some sort, then nothing could be delivered. You also don't really have control most of the time over what they put in your box. It all depends on what is ready to be harvested. Depending on the season or the week it could be a lot of food or very little. There could be things that you're not sure what to do with, or veggies you simply don't like, so you might end up wasting a lot of food.

I've never actually joined one of these myself, but I'm seriously debating it. I guess my question is if anyone here has joined a CSA and what their experience with it was. I've heard really awesome stories with people recommending them highly, and stories where people say they ended up throwing out a lot.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I've joined something similar - but they use multiple farms, and you can edit your box each week. I actually just joined a new one today. I had been using a different one about a year ago - but a lot wasn't local and it was expensive, so I found a new one today that has a lot more local and seems to be a little cheaper. Another bonus - I have issues w/finding time for everything and having people bring fresh local produce to my door is pretty sweet.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I used one of those. They provided local stuff if available, but sourced out if it wasn't, so there was always a box. MIne was like Ready2Rock206's, in that you got a list of what was scheduled in the next delivery and could substitute for other things they had available.

Advantages: I got to try things I'd never had before, the ease of home delivery. And just about everything was local and/or organic.

Cons: Expensive, and if I didn't make the deadline to edit my shipment, I ended up with stuff I didn't want. Also, my household has only 3 people in it. I got a bin every 2 weeks, but all the produce comes at once, and I found it hard to use it all up before it went bad. I threw out way too much.

Eventually I decided that I could use that same money and shop farmer's markets or the organic section of the grocery store instead, and get only things I wanted and that my household could use.
  • mommysockmonkey
    mommysockmonkey Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I belong to one, but it works a little differently than some. You commit to purchasing a certain dollar amount of produce during the season. Then, each week we receive an email about what they have available and we can pick what we want. What they don't sell through the CSA they take sell at local farmer's markets. I used to belong to one where you get a box each week of whatever they had and I did not like that as well. There's only so much you can do with rhubarb, for instance.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. Traditionally what happens is that you pay a certain amount to a local farm up front, and then throughout the season (about May through October) you receive a box of fresh veggies and produce from that farm either weekly or biweekly. What you get depends on what they grow and are able to harvest. It's a great way of getting local usually organic veggies, fruits, herbs, eggs, and meats depending on the farm you join and what they grow.

What turns me off is if there is a crop failure of some sort, then nothing could be delivered. You also don't really have control most of the time over what they put in your box. It all depends on what is ready to be harvested. Depending on the season or the week it could be a lot of food or very little. There could be things that you're not sure what to do with, or veggies you simply don't like, so you might end up wasting a lot of food.

I've never actually joined one of these myself, but I'm seriously debating it. I guess my question is if anyone here has joined a CSA and what their experience with it was. I've heard really awesome stories with people recommending them highly, and stories where people say they ended up throwing out a lot.
    Most definitely do it!! Our local one starts up in May and runs through Nov. They have recently begun a Winter one as well...looking forward to doing that one this Winter.

I don't know about food being thrown away, as I tend to Google or ask around if I'm not familiar with using a particular veggie. The Market style set up they do here is great as there are many knowledgeable ppl to ask about recipes etc. I so look forward to this every year, never been disappointed before, always been happy with my CSA membership.

I think if a person ends up with too much food ask if there are different size shares available to purchase. In our area there are different size shares to purchase so you have plenty but not more than you need if you order accordingly. Trading is also an option if you enjoy more of one veggie/fruit or whatever type of CSA you're thinking of doing.

Ours is completely local and organic, picked that morning and given in the afternoon, ours is also a number of different farm families participating, some not native to the US so it's wonderful to see veggies I've never seen/tried before. We have a large variety each week, if I lived in a location to have a full garden I would do that because there is NOTHING like fresh picked Spring Lettuce, etc. etc.

Enjoy!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    I like to pick over what I buy and I'm lucky enough to live in an area that caters to the culinary and wine industry and have multiple sources of both within 5 minutes of my house. It may be a smart move for someone that is trying to improve the quality of the food their consuming and don't have the time to do that themselves.
  • mrsmegb
    mrsmegb Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your local CSA. Ours was great, but I stopped it because we're within walking distance of two great farmer's markets. There's now another one that lets you pick what you want in your box each week, but I've got a great garden this summer.

I'd see if they'd let you do a month long trial, and if it ends up being too much for you, split it with someone. We split ours with my grandparents because there were things one would use but the other wouldn't.
  • payupalice
    payupalice Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I love mine! I google a lot of unfamiliar things, but they also provide recipes on their website for the things in your weekly box. I rarely have to throw anything away.
  • Prettyinpaisley
    Prettyinpaisley Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I believe in eating a variety of fruits and veggies and trying new foods. The CSA box has definitely been an important part of my weight loss journey. My fiance has lost weight (without even trying) since we've been getting our bin and eating more fresh and organic produce.

Ours always comes with recipes (some good, some not-so-good).