What to do about potlucks?

Options
So tomorrow I'm going to a potluck. It's a group of health-conscious vegans, so everything is going to be more or less healthy, but there's no way I can measure everything or even pretend to know what is in some dishes. Of course I'll start with salad (they actually put the salads at the beginning of the line), but how will I know how much to record? Should I just estimate? What do you all do?

Replies

• 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    So tomorrow I'm going to a potluck. It's a group of health-conscious vegans, so everything is going to be more or less healthy, but there's no way I can measure everything or even pretend to know what is in some dishes. Of course I'll start with salad (they actually put the salads at the beginning of the line), but how will I know how much to record? Should I just estimate? What do you all do?

I just guess and of course, don't eat pot lucks too often so it doesn't trip me up having a guess every couple months.
  • saz_fairy
    saz_fairy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My friends and I socialize with food a lot (that sounds bad lol), we have barbeques where everyone brings a plate and then the host does the meat. I generally estimate what I eat, but I have asked my friends whats in their dishes before. I mostly present it in a curious manner and try really hard to not seem judgmental. In the end if the dish looks like the calories could vary a lot depending on recipe variations, I just skip that dish. Also remember that if it does go wrong, its not the end of the world, and sometimes its worth it to just socialize.

I am not sure if this helps, but I hope it does. Good luck. =)
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Hold a cup of water and a bag of baby carrots.

Thats what I do at parties. Seems to be a greeeeat conversation starter.
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    It's a church potluck, and we attend one about once a week. Considering it's my last meal of the day (somewhere around 1:30), unless I'm starving later, I guess I'll just try to go by how I feel and try not to eat past a certain point. Over time, I guess I'll get a better feel for how many calories are in things, but for now, if it's okay to have a "cheat" day, this will be my one day per week when i don't count the calories of one meal. The rest of the week, eating mostly at home, I should be fine. :)
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Im crazy...I pack my own dinners/snacks when I go to a friends house or to potlucks. I am also very picky about how I order in restaurants.
  • rnctipton
    rnctipton Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Just go and have fun, but keep your portions down. Don't get carried away, and don't worry about trying to log it all. It works if it's only once in a while. Maybe add in a little extra exercise that day!
  • apothecarist
    Options
    I would treat a pot luck like going to an all u can eat buffet. First , take a look at all the food offerings and pick and choose the items you really want to eat. Load up on the healthier fare--salads, veggies, but also make sure to eat some food you really want to try as well, like maybe a tablespoonful here and there. Point is to enjoy yourself in a healthy way. Have fun!
  • slfordstthomas
    slfordstthomas Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I would treat a pot luck like going to an all u can eat buffet. First , take a look at all the food offerings and pick and choose the items you really want to eat. Load up on the healthier fare--salads, veggies, but also make sure to eat some food you really want to try as well, like maybe a tablespoonful here and there. Point is to enjoy yourself in a healthy way. Have fun!

Definitely try this! And be selective! Also, steer clear of dishes that are topped with lots of nuts or cheese. Those are usually the most calorie laden of the bunch.