My rings are too big...what to do?

Options
hey y'all!

Even though I'm to a wait that I was (obviously) before I got this heavy, my rings weren't ever this loose. In fact, they fit me when I was even 20 pounds or more less than this.

Anyway, my wedding ring/anniversary ring are both about to fall off my hands. I have to check CONSTANTLY to make sure they are there. I'm going to quit wearing them to the gym, so that I don't lose them in the shower or pool, or even sweating on the floor.

I obviously don't want to resize them yet. One of my thoughts is to get one of those 'band' things that are plastic to slip onto them to make them 'smaller' for the time being. Has anyone used one of those? And are they available at places like WalMart or Jewelry stores?

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I use a metal clip that goes on the inside of the ring on the bottom third that has tabs to hold it in place. You can get these for a couple of dollars at jewelry stores.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Get some string and wrap it around the bottom of your ring (the part that's on the underside of your finger) as thick and high as you want 'til it fits, then tie together, cut and burn the strings. My dad did this when he lost weight 'cause they couldn't afford to resize them yet.
  • MorningRevelation
    Options
    AH! I thought I was the only one with this problem!!!!! YAY!!!
    I got all my rings resized! I've lost 11 pounds and already 2 ring sizes!!!! if you don't have the money to get ALL you're rings sized then do the 2 or 3 most important ones and then the metal clip for the rest. then once you reach your goal weight, fix em all!
  • HeatherCanDoIt
    HeatherCanDoIt Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Mine are huge, I have not been wearing them much. I want it get them sized but I want to wait till I get to my goal and stay there for a bit! I am going to look into some of the suggestions on here!
  • baggins706
    baggins706 Posts: 310
    Options
    I suggest a ring guard, I tried to get my wedding rings and band done last week but the design will not permit me to getting them done at the jewelers so they suggested a plastic one at Wal-Mart I keep forgetting to check when I go into Wal-Mart but I hear they work!
  • kspeach
    kspeach Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Thanks.

It's not that I don't want to pay for a resizing, but I was told many years ago (rightfully or not) that it 'weakens' the band/gold/ring whatever.

I'll be looking into it.....and if I had string, I'd try that too! :)
  • peggy1952
    peggy1952 Posts: 46
    Options
    My sister has a ring guard on her rings (while she was losing weight). Check with your jeweler. Don't lose your rings!
    Congrats on your losses so far.
  • kRpRpLgRl
    kRpRpLgRl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I bought some plastic ring guards in the Wal-Mart jewlery dept. They worked and it wasn't uncomfortable at all. They were pretty cheap and lots of different sizes in the package to chose from.

Kim
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    When making a ring one or two sizes larger, sometimes the smith will basically stretch the band. This makes the gold thinner, and also "work hardens" the material, making it more brittle and likely to crack.

When making a ring smaller the smith cuts out a small piece of material - then brazes the band back together. If your band has a continuous pattern around it like a braid or ivy or something the removed piece will disrupt the pattern and make it obvious where the piece was removed. A smith can work this in and hide it if the pattern is simple and he has time,,, but it won't be cheap or easy.

When I was in high school lot of girls wore their BF's class rings. Way too large of course. They'd wind yarn through the band on the backside to make 'em fit. Yarn in the school colors too,,, nice.