Muscle Weight Gain?

Options
Hey guys! Ok so I'm a little confused because I had plateaued back in March so I upped my calories and stopped exercising for about 2 weeks to try and reset my body. On the 1st of April I started exercising again (and completely changed my workout routine.) I have been exercising for 6 days a week and alternating between weight lifting and cardio. I also really got committed to eating clean...like really really ridiculously clean. My calorie intake has been between 1300-1500 a day. I wasn't planning on weighing myself until the end of April but I had to go to the doctor today and my weight was taken. Beginning of April I was 120 pounds...today I was 127. So I thought, "well it could be muscle...even though I don't see how I could've gained that much muscle in 19 days." I took my measurements...haven't changed at all.
So my question is what the heck is going on?
And no, its not because of tom.

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Water fluctations, glycogen build-up, female monthly cycle...

But you did not gain that much muscle in a calorie deficit.

Also, if you did not weigh at the same time of day and under the same conditions, there will be fluctuations as well. And doctor scales aren't calibrated as often as they should be and are quite often wrong!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Is that the scale you usually weigh on?

You did not gain that much muscle eating at a deficit in 19 days.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    It still could be water retention. The combo that works for me is Cardio and upper body one day,cardio and lower body the next day. rest for a day. Rest to me means going for a fun walk outside walk that day. I do not log fun walking time. Repeat. Your body needs a day of rest to do whatever magic it does to make our muscles look sexy.:drinker:
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    And no, its not because of tom.

Just wanted to add that "TOM" causes fluctations all month long because of your hormones pretty much never been the same on any 2 days of the month. Female hormone fluctuations cause the scale to go nuts whether it is TOM or not for some of us ladies. That's why Lyle McDonald recommends weighing each week and then comparing results from month to month based on corresponding weeks within the cycle.
  • loricshields47
    loricshields47 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have no real clue, but am interested i nthe responses you may get. Having said that the doctors scale and your usual scale may just be out of whack with each other. What did your usual scale say?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I have no real clue, but am interested i nthe responses you may get. Having said that the doctors scale and your usual scale may just be out of whack with each other. What did your usual scale say?

This was my thought as well. Also at home I weigh first thing in the a.m. sans clothing/shoes. There can be a pretty big difference based on those factors alone.
  • cindybpitts
    cindybpitts Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Also Im sure you had clothes on at the Dr.`s office...do you weigh with clothes normally? As others have said go by the scales you normally weigh on.
  • blwenz
    blwenz Posts: 16
    Options
    The Gym I go to has two scales, and they differ by about 5lbs. I agree with above about the Dr.s scales, there's no telling when the last time they were calibrated. For your own sanity, only weigh in on one scale and stick with that
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    jeans alone can be a pound. then add water fluctuations, etc. If your measurements didn't change then you are fine. luckily I have a doctor with a self-calibrating digital scale and his matches mine dead on. Those old lever scales are WAY inaccurate and honestly the nurses usually 'get it in the ballpark' and don't really dial it in.

no you didn't gain 7 pounds of muscle in 19 days. People also often forget colon load. I know it's gross, but you carry a lot of weight in your colon. I've gained 7 pounds in just 2-3 days from being constipated. Regular fiber intake helps keep the pipes clear so to speak.
  • PixieChick24
    PixieChick24 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Wow lots of feedback! Thanks everyone! Okay, so I was not wearing heavy clothing at all, leggings and a very light shirt and took my shoes off. The scale there has also always been the same as my scale at home...it is a digital scale as is mine. Also, I went to the doctor due to stomach problems and I can assure you I was "cleaned out." As for water weight...it's possible I guess but I drink a gallon of water a day. Time of day could be a factor however, I hadn't eaten any solid food at all before going because anything that wasn't in liquid form was really irritating my stomach.

It's not that I'm concerned that I've gained fat or anything like that. I just find the weight strange...unless my mom was behind me with her foot on the scale...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Even so, I wouldn't trust a weigh in on a different scale. Scales are trending tools and that's about all they are good for. My guess is a combination of the scale being different and water weight. I get what you're saying and I'd probably find it odd too, but don't stress about it.