I don't have a clue what I'm doing

Options
boriluvlumps
boriluvlumps Posts: 19 Member
Ever since I've joined mfp, I've been recording my foods and started exercising. But I live with my boyfriend. And I have no idea what to cook that will both satisfy us. Because I have to lose weight and he has to gain weight. Recipes and cooking with Chia seeds O.o ?? I'm just completely lost in the cooking department. I cook normal foods. Like chicken cordon bleu, burgers rice and beans, fried chicken.... You get my drift. But I only eat lets say one piece of chicken and a serving of rice and beans. I just wasn't to chinook healthy foods for us both. That will meet both our needs. Any suggestions?

Replies

• drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    I would suggest that you keep cooking healthy foods/meals. And you each use portion sizes to help meet your daily caloric/macro goals. You can lose, and he can gain, eating the same foods. Just different portions. I ate the same foods back when I was heavy weight training for years looking for constant gains, as I am right now, while I am losing BF% every week. Just completely different portions......
  • dimsumkitty
    dimsumkitty Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My OH is trying to gain as well. I just cook 3 portions, I eat one, and he eats two! Simple :)
  • kshiraakshara
    kshiraakshara Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My husband isn't trying to gain, but he's almost twice my size so he needs way more calories than me. I either make something where he can have twice as many servings as I can, or I make something for both of us (like meat and veggies) and then an extra side dish for just him (like rice or couscous).
  • 86_Ohms
    86_Ohms Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    He can also do protein shakes and mix it with dense caloric foods and oils if he's still looking for more calories at the end of the day. You can also keep avacados, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, etc. around so he can take in calories and protein at the same time as snacks between normal meals for both of you.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    grill it, now it's guy friendly easy peasy. focus on the protein of the meal, which you should do anyway.
  • Trisha_e
    Trisha_e Posts: 27
    Options
    Go to skinnytaste.com. She has a lot of recipes that are easy to make.
  • JacquiMayCrook
    JacquiMayCrook Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    My husband eats the same main meal as I do, but at lunch and snacks he pretty much empties the cupboards to make up for it :laugh:
  • boriluvlumps
    Options
    I would suggest that you keep cooking healthy foods/meals. And you each use portion sizes to help meet your daily caloric/macro goals. You can lose, and he can gain, eating the same foods. Just different portions. I ate the same foods back when I was heavy weight training for years looking for constant gains, as I am right now, while I am losing BF% every week. Just completely different portions......

That's what I've been doing. But just doesn't seen to work for him. Lol but I'm going to continue doing it.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Never cook two different meals. I don't understand why some would ever do that. Just cook the same as you are having but give him more and add a little extra of the higher calorie stuff like the protein, olive oil, nuts, avocado etc..
  • tiffeaddington
    Options
    We try to eat as healthy as we can and I'm trying to gain weight so it can get frustrating but I just cook the meals for all of us to eat (that includes the kids, they eat what we eat) and then I'll eat extra meals throughout the day or have a protein shake between meals etc. Don't stress out too much, just cook lightened meals for you and make enough that you have some leftovers that he can either eat a larger portion of or eat later as a small meal between traditional meals. Good Luck!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    My husband just has extra large portions, and when he cooks dinner ( he usually uses lots of butter and more fattening things) I just eat less. My rule of thumb if I think I 've eaten too much is to just have half a cup( of say scalloped potatoes)
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Portions, and he can add more stuff like avocados, cheese, sour cream. So many ways to add calories :/ Also protein shakes.
  • fly_butterfly
    fly_butterfly Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have to admit that I love making quesadillas. I find they are pretty satisfying...
    BLT's w/Lean Turkey Bacon a Tomato Basil Wrap
    Spinach Wrap w/avocado, tuna, lettuce
    Fish Taco, salsa, cheddar cheese
    Breakfast wraps ..make a bunch at once and freeze.
    chicken... possibilities are endless here.

I am a protein shake maker in the morning... always green. :drinker:

I also bake the tortillas in the oven (taco bowl kit) and use them to dip into salsa. It takes away that "I need chips" feeling too. :flowerforyou:

Don't be afraid to modify what you already make.. just find ways to "healthy it up". Hope this helps. :happy:
  • lclemur
    lclemur Posts: 11
    Options
    Yep, that is what I do. We all eat the same protein and veggies or salad. Then, my husband and son have an added starch or two (bread, pasta, rice, etc.)
  • boriluvlumps
    Options
    I have to admit that I love making quesadillas. I find they are pretty satisfying...
    BLT's w/Lean Turkey Bacon a Tomato Basil Wrap
    Spinach Wrap w/avocado, tuna, lettuce
    Fish Taco, salsa, cheddar cheese
    Breakfast wraps ..make a bunch at once and freeze.
    chicken... possibilities are endless here.

I am a protein shake maker in the morning... always green. :drinker:

I also bake the tortillas in the oven (taco bowl kit) and use them to dip into salsa. It takes away that "I need chips" feeling too. :flowerforyou:

Don't be afraid to modify what you already make.. just find ways to "healthy it up". Hope this helps. :happy:
    It definitely helps a lot. Without a doubt. I'm going to the store later. For sure. Thanks!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I would focus on meals that would be great portions for you, but ones that your boy-friend could double. For example a Healthier Lasagna, http://www.marthastewart.com/336865/healthier-meat-lasagna.

Some of the meat is replaced by eggplant, and the portion itself is huge. And it is something that your boyfriend could double portion easily. When I make it, it comes out to 440 calories per serving, with 46g carbs, 16g fat, and 34g of protein.
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Add butter to his veggies and skip it on yours. : )
  • boriluvlumps
    Options
    Great ideas everyone! Thank you so much for your help! :)