Juicing

Options
So, I've been thinking about getting a juicer and juicing. I don't think I'd do the juice fasts or anything, but I do have a hard time getting enough veggies sometimes. I still plan to eat fruits and vegetable and I get a lot of fiber from beans and quinoa, but I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on juicing. What are the pros and cons? Also, is there a juicer you would recommend?

Replies

• RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I eat TONS of fruits and veggies (diary is open) and I also love to juice and would recommend it. Fresh juice is amazing! I have the Jack La Lane power juicer. I do not recommend juicing as a weight loss "fad" I recommend it as yummy!
  • melonclarinet
    melonclarinet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendation;; I was looking at that one today. I am definitely not thinking of doing it for weight loss...I eat at a deficit and work out for that. I am more looking to do it for the benefits of getting all of the nutrients in the produce.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Juicing is NO GOOD. Steroids cause all kinds of problems. Avoid it.
  • melonclarinet
    Options
    Haha...I knew someone would have to point that out ????
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I wasn't a fan really. Juicing is pricey and you have to drink the juice fresh unless you know how to properly store it, which requires more than sticking it in the fridge. I like to make smoothies better. I stuff greens in them.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Haha...I knew someone would have to point that out ????

If you're supplementing your diet with juiced fruits and vegetables, there are no cons. Juicing removes the fiber, but assuming you're eating fibrous foods, you needn't worry about that omission. Genuine juiced fruits and vegetables are a great source of micronutrients.

Since you state that you don't intend to do any sort of juice fasting, this sounds completely rational to me.
  • minivegrunner
    Options
    mmmm. I LOVE juicing. It's a great way to sneak some extra veggies in, too! :)
  • Shim2013
    Shim2013 Posts: 48
    Options
    I don't juice, i have a nutri bullet and make breakfast/ dinner that way. I get alot of fruit and some veggies but like to eat veggies on the side as well.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    CAN WE JUICE BOOZE,, it is friday night? ha ha
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Smoothies are fabulous too, I have the ninja kitchen system, love it too! (Great way to add protein powder, flax, leafy greens...) I think between the 2 units (Jack La Lane & Ninja) it was about $250, great investments. The Jack La Lane also has recipes for using the pulp once you juice! Pretty cool!
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    So, I've been thinking about getting a juicer and juicing. I don't think I'd do the juice fasts or anything, but I do have a hard time getting enough veggies sometimes. I still plan to eat fruits and vegetable and I get a lot of fiber from beans and quinoa, but I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on juicing. What are the pros and cons? Also, is there a juicer you would recommend?

I do this exactly and have seen an amazing difference in mental capacity, overall energy and reduced cravings i.e. late nite snack cravings.

The most common argument against juicing is "what about all the waste". Unfortunately, it's waste that keeps me from eating enough vegetables. I usually feel full log before I achieve the recommended daily intake. So any way I can get a healthy intake of veggies is a good thing.

I use a Breville 510 Multi Speed. I have yet to find anything it can't juice. It does a fantastic job on leafy greens ( I juice kale, spinach, cilantro, carrots & oranges daily).
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I have a Jack Lalane juicer and love it. It was about $100. I juice 3-5 times a week for the same reason you stated. I have a hard time getting in enough vegetables. I get a better variety when I juice. As far as tips - I wash all of my produce when I get home from the store so it's ready to go. I get everything out that I want to juice and cut it up just before I juice it. You see them putting whole stuff in the juicer on the commercials but I have better luck if I cut it a little smaller. Larger pieces tend to jam in the feeder tube. Fresh is best - drink it right after you juice it.
  • islandlifenc
    islandlifenc Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I bought a Breville juicer about a year ago. (I was inspired by "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead.") I do like making the juice, but I also prefer just making things in my blender. I always hated leaving all of the great fiber behind in the juicer, and saving it to use later just ended up meaning I never actually used it and it ended up in the compost.

I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, though. Fruits usually in smoothies and vegetables steamed and served with butter, or sauteed with coconut oil.

Juicing is an expensive thing to do for all that you end up composting (again, unless you find a use for the extracted fiber). I try to stick with organic foods, so I can't afford to buy them and throw so much of them away.

My hats off to everyone who makes it a part of their daily routine, though! It's definitely a healthy habit!
  • melonclarinet
    Options
    Ok...looks like people are in agreement. I will be looking into getting a juicer very soon. Thanks everyone!
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I love fresh juice! I need a low fiber diet, so most of my fruit/veggie nutrients come from juicing opposed to the whole fruit/veggie. I do find I need to dilute it with water though, it can be a very very strong taste.
  • deedog007
    deedog007 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Juicing is a great nutritious snack esp on the go , I use the ninja for all the benefits
  • slimforparis
    slimforparis Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Juicing is brilliant. We've got a Philips juicer which I love cos you can pop whole apples in the chute and juice them - really easy. I've got a Juice Master book and use that to try different recipes. I like to have juice for breakfast - definitely fills me up until lunchtime.
    Also I recently tried the 'healthy espresso shot' - one apple juiced with a massive chunk of ginger and drunk like an espresso - delicious!!