Bulgur wheat

Options
Hello i have not posted anything on here yet so im going to try. So i am eating this new substitute called bulgur wheat instead of pasta or rice and it really is a wonder food! I have heard it is very good for you, what does anyone think? Or anyone who has tried it what recipes can i make with it?

Replies

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Yes! My husband is Turkish so I've eaten a lot of this and it has a wondeful taste and texture. We usually have it on the side the same way you'd have rice but you can do lots with it. I did a quick google search and there are tons of recipes out there.
    Here is a great site: http://www.turkishcookbook.com/
    If you go to the "PILAF" section and look for recipes with bulgur in the title you will see lots :)
  • i_luv_irs
    i_luv_irs Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree, it's tasty and healthy. I usually make a pilaf with it. The packet I bought actually had a recipe on it.
  • nesshess04
    Options
    Here is a recipe that I use that has Bulgur wheat in it:

Turkey Manicotti

1/4 cup bulgur 3/4 pound lean ground turkey
    2/3 cup boiling water 1 1/2 cups(12oz) 2% cottage cheese
    1 tsp dried basil 1 tsp dried oregano
    1/2 tsp salt 1/4 tsp pepper
    14 uncooked manicotti shells 1 jar(28oz) meatless spaghetti sauce
    1/2 cup water 1cup(4oz) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

Place the bulgur in a large bowl; stir in boiling water. Cover and let stand for 30 mins or until the liquid is absorbed. Drain and squeeze dry.
    In a nonstick skillet, cook turkey over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the cottage cheese, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, and buglar. Stuff into uncooked manicotti shells. Arrange in a 13inx9in baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray.
    Combine spaghetti sauce and water; pour over shells. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/4 hours or until shells are tender and sauce is bubbly. Uncover; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 5 mins longer or until cheese is melted
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You can use in anywhere where you'd normally use rice.

And here's the recipe I use the most:

Aztec Bulgur
    1 cup uncooked bulgur
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 cup water
    15 oz can black beans, drained & rinsed
    1 cup frozen corn kernels
    1/2 cup red onion, finely diced
    1/4 cup chopped cilantro (or parsley)
    1 small jalapeno, finely minced (seeded or not - your choice)
    3 TBSP olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    3 TBSP fresh lime juice
    Mix cumin, salt & bulgur in a medium bowl. Meanwhile, boil the water. Pour the boiling water over the mix and cover tightly w/plastic wrap. Let sit 15 minutes. Remove plastic wrap and fluff w/a fork. Stir in beans, corn, onion, cilantro, and jalapeno. Whisk oil, lime juice and garlic in small dish. Pour over bulgur mix and stir to combine. Serve warm or room temp (I actually like it cold).
    Tastes great topped w/chopped avocado and/or homemade salsa.

Salsa
    1 onion
    1/2 bunch cilantro
    3 roma tomatoes
    1 large jalapeno pepper
    3 limes, squeezed
    1/2 tsp salt
    Chop onion, cilantro & tomatoes. Place in small bowl. Squeeze limes and pour juice in bowl w/tomato mix. Add salt and mix well. Chill several hours or overnight.
  • sahrajane5
    sahrajane5 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi, I love bulgur wheat, but I'm a poor student so I can't afford to buy loads of ingredients, I use mine cooked and cold for lunches on campus, and add any or all of the following: peas (chuck frozen ones in while it's cooking), tuna (canned, after cooking), paprika (after cooking-Hungarian paprika is to die for), frozen mixed veg (if I don't have peas!) Salt pepper blah....
    ALWAYS cook in stock, i'm not insulting your intelligence but I did it once and it was repulsive
    ...shove a side salad and some balsamic in there and viola! a <200cal lunch that your pals will be utterly dumbfounded by!

I haven't yet, but I bet that combo would taste absolutely fabulouso in a wholemeal wrap!

Would have it as a side too but the opportunity has never arose...
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Bump, must try bulgar wheat again. Is it different to couscous?
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Bump, must try bulgar wheat again. Is it different to couscous?

Yes, different in taste, texture and size.
  • nannukka
    nannukka Posts: 52
    Options
    Bump......I have to try. I like the sound of it. yum
  • Emalilly13
    Emalilly13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, im glad i was right about the Buglur wheat. It is feeling and just so nice goes with almost everything! I really want to find a sweet recipe with this in now. :)
  • apothecarist
    Options
    I've love bulgur wheat too. You can eat it for breakfast , as an alternative to oat meal. Follow usual cooking directions and top it off with some raisins or banana slices, a little brown sugar. Yum!
  • Paigeballetdancer
    Options
    Once I made the most delicious health cookies with. Bulgur wheat because I didn't have any quinoa. I think it's great.