Raw Milk

Options
I was just wondering what everyone's opinions are on raw milk?
I live on a dairy farm so I have naturally grown up drinking it and i think it is delicious.
But I just wanted other peoples opinions on the nutritional benefits and such.

:)

Replies

• JTS_go
    JTS_go Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    We got our own goats last spring, including one milking doe, and I haven't had any milk except raw milk since then. Love it. It's great when I need something to help me satisfy hunger cravings. It really helps me on my no-sugar diet with the lactose satisfying those cravings. As long as you're sure of your source (healthy dairy animals and good cleanliness practices), I can't think of any negatives.
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I drank raw milk all the time as a kid and never had an issue. I'm totally pro-raw milk as long as you know the source. But then again, I go out of my way to buy unpasteurized almonds too.
  • kirabob
    kirabob Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I actually stopped drinking dairy because I have to drive 80 minutes to get access to raw milk (and technically it's only for 'animal consumption' here in North Carolina). In a couple of years we're hoping to move somewhere with enough room for a goat, but until then. . .I'll just be jealous of you. :)
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of pasteurised (non-raw) milk. Anyone who is on my friends list will testify to this. But if I could get access to raw milk, then I would drink it. Raw dairy is great for you, as long as the animals area treated well. I due believe that milk lacks sufficient enzymes but I would not restrict it for this reason. And personally I don't have a problem with lactose.

This might be helpful depending on your goals
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJWTbjeEvVY
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I drink massive amounts of raw grassfed milk. It's the best milk ever. I also eat raw cheese, pastured eggs, and grassfed beef. I love living in Amish country!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    nasty
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I live on a dairy farm so I have naturally grown up drinking it and i think it is delicious.

You are very fortunate and lucky to have access to raw milk.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

You are very fortunate and lucky to have access to raw milk.

I just recently found a source for raw milk in my area this past January...I love it!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    It has not been legal where I live, although I would like to drink it. I think the current legislature was considering a bill to allow it but I don't think that went anywhere (not sure).
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    It's illegal here in Ontario unless you own the cow. But theres a liquor store and a Micky D's on every corner, go figure.

Would love to get my hands on some raw milk but the 2 hour drive is a bit much.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    BIG DEBATE HERE IN ONTARIO CANADA, i come from the farm,,I DO SUPPORT THIS,,
  • highervibes
    Options
    BIG DEBATE HERE IN ONTARIO CANADA, i come from the farm,,I DO SUPPORT THIS,,

Do you follow Michael Schmidt's story? He's on my FB and I think it's completely asinine that you can't choose to drink raw milk but you can drink all the alcohol you like.
  • XxfitforeverxX
    Options
    I agree that raw milk is safe and good for you!
  • Jilleelicious
    Jilleelicious Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Lucky you!:happy:
  • Bjoyz
    Bjoyz Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Love raw milk! It's the best. It's also super easy to get your hands on in Washington State. :drinker:
  • skinnylynnie74
    skinnylynnie74 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for a local raw milk provider. I understand that I have to purchase a portion of a cow, (co-op) since selling raw milk is illegal in my state. Incidentally, I just read an article that says food poisoning is on the rise, in part due to raw milk... Scare tactics? We currently buy from a local dairy that uses low heat pasteurization, which is the closest you can get to raw in our area. My high school sweetheart lived on a dairy farm and there is nothing like the real thing, baby!
  • Jilleelicious
    Jilleelicious Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I love Raw milk! But I don't drink it straight. I use the whey to make fermented beverages...hindu lemonade and beet kvass. I feel amazing!
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    It's illegal here for human consumption. People will label it for pets then buy it for themselves anyway... I think I'd only drink raw milk if I lived on/by a dairy farm.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I buy mine from the back of a van in a parking lot every week.

It's so deliciously devious the way I buy my milk.
  • highervibes
    Options
    I buy mine from the back of a van in a parking lot every week.

It's so deliciously devious the way I buy my milk.

There is a funny chapter in "Stuff White People Like" about buying raw milk as if you were buying crack. The author goes on to say that the only way you can tell the difference between a drug deal and a raw milk deal is the raw milk purchaser will also be wearing New Balance running shoes. OMG, this book is so bad but so funny sometimes!