High protein breakfast ideas

Options
MissJen84
MissJen84 Posts: 109 Member
I'm looking for something that I can make ahead, or grab and go type breakfast. I need something high protein/ fiber. I usually eat about 630 (in the car) on the way to work, usually it is at least 1130 before I can take lunch. This week I ate bagel thins with cream cheese with a piece of fruit. I dont care much for eggs, so does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• grace42d
    grace42d Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Cook steel cut oats the night before. Heat them in the microwave and eat with protein powder, nuts, seeds, dried dates. Add almond milk if you like that.

Another suggestion is an apple with peanut butter. Core it and stuff the peanut butter inside. You can sprinkle nuts or seeds on it as well.

And get up 10 minutes earlier so you can eat a slow, calm mindful breakfast. I find I eat way more when I am eating and doing something else at the same time.
  • JohnLSinclair
    JohnLSinclair Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My typical breakfast is high in fiber and protein. It goes like this:

In a mug: 1 cup of Unsweetened Almond Breeze (Almond/Coconut milk blend) mixed with 2 scoops chocolate protein powder (either MTS or Optimum Nutrition - both mix great and taste great!)

In a bowl: 1 cup of Unsweetened Almond Breeze, with 2 serving of either Fiber One Chocolate Squares (which would be 1 and 3/4 cups) or Fiber One Raisin Bran Clusters (2 servings = 2 cups) cereal. The Fiber One chocolate squares are lower calories, so I'll give you macros for both routes:

Whey shake + Fiber One Chocolate Squares...
    Calories = 490 | Carbs = 58 | Fat = 11 | Protein = 52

Whey shake + Fiber One Raisin Bran Clusters....
    Calories = 670 | Carbs = 102 | Fat = 11 | Protein = 56

You should have plenty of energy for the morning with these foods. Hope that helps!
  • diliveslife
    diliveslife Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of the "premier" brand premade protein shakes. I get them at Costco and have used them for years. They have 30g of protein and 160 calories. Not much fiber though so you'd have to get that somewhere else. I do love that they're easy to grab and taste great. Specifically chocolate.
  • hah_87
    hah_87 Posts: 5
    Options
    T
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I do my workouts in the morning so after lifting I like to go and grab a whey protein shake for breakfast. Other days, sorry, I'm obsessed with eggs...
  • Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Whey protein, iced coffee, with ground flax or whole chia seeds and a 1/2 cup raspberries.
    I never knew how much fiber is in raspberries. . Shake every morning for 2 1/2 years. Half is drunk in car on way to gym, (5-6am) other half after workout.

My shake is 40 - 60 gms protein, 2 cups iced coffee, 2 - 4 cups water. By the time I finish I have 40 oz liquid plus extra h2o during gym. Keeps me full and hydrated till noon.
  • nomorepizza2
    nomorepizza2 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I buy low cal soft tortilla wraps (about 110 cals each) , stuff them with some precooked chicken breast, shredded lettuce and salsa.
    wrap a couple of them up and you've got a high protein, relatively low-cal meal to eat any time of the day!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Greek yoghurt

Iced mocha protein shake

Cottage cheese with fruit

Peanut butter on wholegrain toast

Cheese omelettes (sorry, I eat a lot of eggs)
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Egg person here, but maybe cheese on toast? Not fried, no butter, just a lower-fat cheese melted over whole wheat bread in a toaster oven. Maybe with some low-sodium, natural ham?

Or baked beans on toast, that's probably a good one.

I've seen but never tried Jamie Eason's recipes for protein muffin, keep meaning to try the carrot or pumpkin ones. Those things look handy.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    KirstenTheFamilyCoach Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    These pancakes are full of protein, low in fat and taste just like, or possibly better, than regular pancakes!

Minutes to Prepare: 5
    Minutes to Cook: 10
    Number of Servings: 1

Ingredients
    .5 cup Quaker Old Fashioned Oats
    .5 cup Fat Free Cottage Cheese
    3 large Egg Whites
    Splash of Vanilla Extract (~1 tsp)
    2 tbsp. Ground Cinnamon (more or less to taste)

Directions
    Add oats, fat free cottage cheese, egg whites, vanilla and ground cinnamon together in a food processor or blender. Blend ingredients together until smooth. Heat a non-stick pan on medium to medium-high. Pour batter onto non-stick pan and cook each pancake about 2 minutes on each side. Makes 3 medium sized pancakes.
  • FitBlackChick
    FitBlackChick Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Make pancakes out of protein powder!!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    These pancakes are full of protein, low in fat and taste just like, or possibly better, than regular pancakes!

Minutes to Prepare: 5
    Minutes to Cook: 10
    Number of Servings: 1

Ingredients
    .5 cup Quaker Old Fashioned Oats
    .5 cup Fat Free Cottage Cheese
    3 large Egg Whites
    Splash of Vanilla Extract (~1 tsp)
    2 tbsp. Ground Cinnamon (more or less to taste)

Directions
    Add oats, fat free cottage cheese, egg whites, vanilla and ground cinnamon together in a food processor or blender. Blend ingredients together until smooth. Heat a non-stick pan on medium to medium-high. Pour batter onto non-stick pan and cook each pancake about 2 minutes on each side. Makes 3 medium sized pancakes.

Ooh This reminds me if protein waffles I make, same recipe I think, but cooked in a waffle iron. Delicious and high protein.
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I use egg white protein powder + chia seeds + coconut/almond milk. You can add some coffee to it, a little stevia, and it's a meal.

Or make it a smoothie: add peanut butter or PB powder (PB2), add frozen strawberries, yogurt, frozen spinach...

Or...
    Make mini quiches the night before in a cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Eggs or egg whites + ham or turkey ham or turkey bacon, some veggies, cheese, bake and they are ready to go.
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I often just eat a handful of nuts (almonds or cashews) or a spoonful or two of homemade peaunut butter, and maybe a string cheese, along with my coffee with full-fat cream. Keeps me satisfied for a really long time, often through most of a school day.

ETA: Don't forget about fat! That will keep you full--and tastes better--way longer than just lower fat protien alone.
  • aliciachavez1820
    Options
    a meal replacement shake , youcan makee it the night before with high protein powder such as herbalife or others bought at fitness stores keeep u full, r fast on the go and can be made up to three days ahead if kept made in the refrigeratorjust shake n go.............
  • hellokittymaui
    hellokittymaui Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Jamie Eason's turkey muffins are very portable and yummy.
  • diddylove
    diddylove Posts: 30
    Options
    I just have whey blended on top of breakfast
  • kelbwjax
    kelbwjax Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for something that I can make ahead, or grab and go type breakfast. I need something high protein/ fiber. I usually eat about 630 (in the car) on the way to work, usually it is at least 1130 before I can take lunch. This week I ate bagel thins with cream cheese with a piece of fruit. I dont care much for eggs, so does anyone have any suggestions?

I usually do a whey protein shake and take a banana with me. If you have time for oatmeal that would be great too!
  • aly_ba_ba
    Options
    bump, great ideas!
  • Dawn_Snowden
    Dawn_Snowden Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I add almond butter and a banana to my Shakeology every morning to create a full meal. Lots of dense nutrition packed with tons of protein.

Since it's pumpkin season, today's shake had almond butter, almond milk, banana, unsweetened pumpkin, and pumpkin pie spice. Breakfast of champions!

If you haven't heard of Shakeology, message me. It's made by the same company that puts out P90X, Insanity, and the popular T25.