Drinking (Alcohol) Dilema

Options
iDYG
iDYG Posts: 15 Member
Hello. This weekend is one of my close friends birthdays. I have started eating better and exercising w/ a trainer for two weeks now. We are going out this weekend and before I started this new lifestyle I would drink a lot and there was no moderation because moderation would not even give me a buzz but now that I am counting calories I do not want to drink at all because if there is no buzz than there is no point in drinking for me. My friend is kind of forcing me to drink though so during the day, I was going to go swimming for couple of hours to burn some calories because I probably would have a slice of cake. If I lower my calories a bit during the day and drink in moderation (already calculated, 5 shots vodka= 350 calories) at night, will I gain weight?

Replies

• FluffyMcNutter
    Options
    Weight loss happens by consuming a deficit over a period of time. It doesn't matter what period of time that is. You can drink tomorrow night and still lose weight overall. Be careful of eating less and drinking the same amount as normal though. You'll probably get drunker faster. Make some decisions you can live with. 350 calories is a tenth of a pound of fat. If weight loss were completely linear, and you ate at a deficit all week, then that would mean you would lose .1 less than you would have without those calories.

If you're REALLY worried about it, then still do the full workout you were planning on, but only eat half a slice of cake and drink if you want to.
  • splixi
    splixi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I think you should have a diet that is sustainable for life and it would be a pretty sad existence if you were to ban yourself from ever taking part in food activities you enjoy (in this case is a few shots). I say just do it and have a good night but don't make a habit of it :)
  • iDYG
    Options
    Thank you :). I think I am doing something sustainable right now. I don't see myself as dieting but cooking my meals now instead of eating a kfc meal combo or some other junk food, once a day, basically everyday and never cook.
    I am trying to make this a lifestyle and since I've started I have almost quick smoking (had less than a full pack (20cigs) in 2 wks so far) which would all go away if I drank like I normally would, which is at least 25 shots to get me drunk. But i have a weigh-in with my trainer every monday, and it kind of sucks to not see results by the beginning of every week because i mess up on weekends, which is why i want to drink in moderation so my weigh-in doesn't ruin my motivation.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Thank you :). I think I am doing something sustainable right now. I don't see myself as dieting but cooking my meals now instead of eating a kfc meal combo or some other junk food, once a day, basically everyday and never cook.
    I am trying to make this a lifestyle and since I've started I have almost quick smoking (had less than a full pack (20cigs) in 2 wks so far) which would all go away if I drank like I normally would, which is at least 25 shots to get me drunk. But i have a weigh-in with my trainer every monday, and it kind of sucks to not see results by the beginning of every week because i mess up on weekends, which is why i want to drink in moderation so my weigh-in doesn't ruin my motivation.

25 shots, if only 1oz of 80 proof liquor each is .4*25 = 10 ounces of pure ethanol.
    Jesus. Even at $4 a shot that's $100.

Used one of those BAC calculators to see what my BAC would be in a ballpark range, if those 25 shots were done over 4 hours.
    .347, or 34.7% alcohol.

Listen, if you're drinking that much, regularly, no manner of dieting or working out will help you. Best of luck.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I think you should have a diet that is sustainable for life and it would be a pretty sad existence if you were to ban yourself from ever taking part in food activities you enjoy (in this case is a few shots). I say just do it and have a good night but don't make a habit of it :)

This.

One day isn't going to make or break your weight loss. Log it and as long as your weekly deficit is good you'll still lose weight.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I drink. You can fit it in. Sparkling wines not that high in calories, or a shot with a diet mixer.

Do you want to be depriving yourself or improving yourself? For me, thats what it comes down to. I'm improving myself, and dammit, myself likes wine :P
  • iDYG
    Options
    Haha, I don't have that type of money!! I would pre-drink and pitch-in for bottle service.
    I do not know why I don't get drunk fast enough, but I do not drink often once every couple of weeks and I never drink to 'have a drink'. I just don't want all my efforts to go to waste. I feel like the beginning is so important to not mess up.