NJ boardwalk food

i'm going to the beach tomorrow with my kids, mom, sister and cousin. i honestly can't think of a single thing i can eat there. last year when i went i remember eeating fried oreos, icecream, greasy burger, fries, lots of coke, zeppolis, fudge, saltwater taffy, etc. i'm thinking back and can't think of anything i can buy there that will not totally wreck what i'm doing here. my mom is telling me that i should just take a day off but that day off would probably mean a lot of work recovering from the binge from hell. so, anyone that's been to seaside heights, if you can think of anything i can have, let me know. my plan at the moment is packing my lunch, dinner and snacks and lots of water. ideally, i'd only like to pack my lunch and eat out with my family since that's what the norm is for us. i can say no to the junk snack stuff no problem (although a fried oreo sounds delicious!) atleast i'll be walking around all day and burning off some calories.

Replies

• cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    I was just in Seaside myself not too long along. I see your concern! However on my food plan we can have two regular slices of pizza. Sometimes you can be lucky to find whole wheat crust. Ask them if you don't see it. Depending on where you go for dinner, you could probably find something healthy enough.
  • sandra80
    sandra80 Posts: 308 Member
    we're going to be right on the boardwalk. to me it seems like they all pretty much have the same stuff. pizza, greasy burgers, sausages, fries, hot dogs, etc.
  • that is for a regular size slice. Down the shore the slice are HUGE! I would pack my food. It is really worth it after all your hard work?
  • sandra80
    true, very true. all the food there seems to be on steroids. it's all huge.
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Samantharose8akaDebbie Posts: 407 Member
    I would suggest a slice of pizza, a hamburger minus 1 bun, cotton candy is a nice treat and low in calories.
  • its like 100 calories and 28 carbs and sugar for cotton candy. How about a sugar free icee or fatfree icecream. I am sure you could find a salad with grilled chicken. or maybe somekind of seafood? It is gonna be hard because of all the smells. You just dont want to undo what you worked so hard to accomplish. If you do indulge just make sure you kick up your workouts.Drink that water too. What part of Jersey are you from? I live in JC
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Sugar free Italian ice
    Hamburger, sausage, or hot dog w/out the bun, add mustard, relish, onions, peppers

I usually pack some fruit, carrots, or energy bars as an option. The food isn't always that appealing and it's expensive.
  • Melange77
    Melange77 Posts: 9 Member
    You can do it!! I took the kids to Wendy's today and was a very good girl. Side Salad and 5pc chicken nuggest... I got a little bit of a splurge in without wrecking my day at all.

I know you're not a big hotdog fan but as suggested you could have a burger minus the bun. You can order one of those giant slices of pizza and split it with one or two of the kids and in all honesty I would pick ONE thing to splurge a tiny bit on whether it be a small scoop of real ice cream or cotton candy (stay away from soft pretzels though..talk about a calorie trap)

I would only do that for one meal... maybe dinner and then pack lunch and have breakfast before you leave. It's going to be hot so just stick to lots of water for hydration and if you really want flavor stop @ the store on the way and get the Special K protein water sticks. They're 30 calories and they fill you up a bit but taste pretty good too.

You routinely come in under your calorie goal so having a snack to reward all that hard work will be ok, won't undue your hard work and may even help jump your metabolism. Just be warned cheat days make you hungry the next day so make sure you've got some high fiber meals / snacks planned for Friday.

Most importantly... HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!
  • sandra80
    its like 100 calories and 28 carbs and sugar for cotton candy. How about a sugar free icee or fatfree icecream. I am sure you could find a salad with grilled chicken. or maybe somekind of seafood? It is gonna be hard because of all the smells. You just dont want to undo what you worked so hard to accomplish. If you do indulge just make sure you kick up your workouts.Drink that water too. What part of Jersey are you from? I live in JC
    i'm in middlesex county on the monmouth county border.
  • sandra80
    You can do it!! I took the kids to Wendy's today and was a very good girl. Side Salad and 5pc chicken nuggest... I got a little bit of a splurge in without wrecking my day at all.

I know you're not a big hotdog fan but as suggested you could have a burger minus the bun. You can order one of those giant slices of pizza and split it with one or two of the kids and in all honesty I would pick ONE thing to splurge a tiny bit on whether it be a small scoop of real ice cream or cotton candy (stay away from soft pretzels though..talk about a calorie trap)

I would only do that for one meal... maybe dinner and then pack lunch and have breakfast before you leave. It's going to be hot so just stick to lots of water for hydration and if you really want flavor stop @ the store on the way and get the Special K protein water sticks. They're 30 calories and they fill you up a bit but taste pretty good too.

You routinely come in under your calorie goal so having a snack to reward all that hard work will be ok, won't undue your hard work and may even help jump your metabolism. Just be warned cheat days make you hungry the next day so make sure you've got some high fiber meals / snacks planned for Friday.

Most importantly... HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!
    mel,u know i'll have fun. a whole day out of the house, free of a certain person? hells yeah i'll have fun!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    I miss my Jersey shore... haha. I'm a displaced Jersey girl now living in Northern VA. Anyways, those boardwalks are deadly! I agree with finding a seafood place, fish is usually a good bet. Or how about one of the smoothie places? Just tell them to only put fruit and yogurt in it, some places add ice cream and stuff. That'll be a good lower calorie option. Or if you can find a place that has chicken, they might have grilled chicken sandwich or something. Just spend some time walking around (and burning calories) until you find a place worth eating healthier at. They've got to be there somewhere...
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Cotton candy, small ice cream or shaved ice would be decent.

Also, do they have popcorn? That might be decent too.

None of those are real food though... are there any sit-down restaurants that might have a salad? Beyond that, I might pack a few snacks too -- almonds, raisins, etc. will do well in the heat. :)
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    its like 100 calories and 28 carbs and sugar for cotton candy. How about a sugar free icee or fatfree icecream. I am sure you could find a salad with grilled chicken. or maybe somekind of seafood? It is gonna be hard because of all the smells. You just dont want to undo what you worked so hard to accomplish. If you do indulge just make sure you kick up your workouts.Drink that water too. What part of Jersey are you from? I live in JC

No way! I am from JC! Lived in the Heights, not far from Pershing Field! When I got into my teens, we moved down the shore to Point Pleasant Beach. I used to work on the boardwalk every summer...not much healthy you can eat there! I'd say go to Jersey Mike's and get a healthy sandwich and bring it with you!
  • toots99
    I miss my Jersey shore... haha. I'm a displaced Jersey girl now living in Northern VA.

Same here, only I'm in Texas now.
  • sandra80
    i decided i'm packing my lunch and dinner and i have figured i'll probably be walking alot so i'll have some calories left for an italian ice. there's a ritas there and i know they have the sugar free kind so that'll be my treat for being made fun of by family for eating from my cooler all day. oh well.
  • Toots i live in the Heights myself. I am right off of Central Ave. Small world
  • ambervargo
    ambervargo Posts: 67 Member
    I don't have any good suggestiont to add - sound slike you have a good plan that youll feel good about on Monday after your trip.. but I lived in JC for two years and currently live in West New York. :) Small world indeed!
  • toots99
    Toots i live in the Heights myself. I am right off of Central Ave. Small world

Very! I lived on Laidlaw Ave between Central and Summit!
  • that is too wild. I live up on Bleecker.