957 Days - Here is what it looks like

Options

Replies

• Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Youre a star, elle. And i know too well the feeling of a prolonged plateau! Happy and healthy is way better than couch potato. Youve done amazingly well. Wanna join me for the onehunga half on 29th sept? You can do 5, 10, 16 or 21kms, and walk if you still have a bung knee.

Yes !! I will check it out - not allowed to run, but can walk at least 5km, and most probably the 10km :-)
    So any of my Auckland MFP pals - come walk with me - or even better - run with Jodi ;-)
  • Elleinnz
    Options
    Your story was informative and hit home. I am just starting my journey and can only aspire to have similar results. I am busy researching but your idea on getting my blood levels done is super. Do you have a list of what they tested you for? It would be helpful since as you say often family doctors don't know what to look for on this type of situation. Appreciate it! You look wonderful! :smile:

Unfortunately I did not make a copy of the list, so don't have the "official" names of tests..

Pretty much the standard cholesterol, insulin and glucose tests. Then the key minerals - magnesium, iron, zinc, calcium, sodium and chloride. Stool samples for issues with gut bacteria, and parasites. The hormones: oestrogen , progesterone and testosterone. Then also a saliva test at 4 points during the day to check cortisol and DHEA levels.... Renal function tests and Liver function tests.....

I think this is about the full list - you really also need someone that knows what they are looking at, and how to interpret the results when the tests comes back :-)
  • squindles
    squindles Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    What a lovely story and well done you on what you've acheived :flowerforyou:
  • theblondetrick
    theblondetrick Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! It's a real big change and I can't believe that you're still wearing the same clothes.
    Considering your weight loss,you probably should have dropped about 5 sizes,so that's kinda weird.
    But really,it doesn't matter,because your great results are more than obvious!
  • Elleinnz
    Options
    Congratulations! It's a real big change and I can't believe that you're still wearing the same clothes.
    Considering your weight loss,you probably should have dropped about 5 sizes,so that's kinda weird.

Thank you - in the first year I went from a size 26 to size 14 (7 sizes), but since then - past 19 months I am still in 14's - trying to get to 12's ;-)
  • mamakira
    mamakira Posts: 366
    Options
    You look amazing, great results. You cant be so proud of yourself.
  • theblondetrick
    theblondetrick Posts: 192 Member
    Options

Thank you - in the first year I went from a size 26 to size 14 (7 sizes), but since then - past 19 months I am still in 14's - trying to get to 12's ;-)
    Well,that makes more sense.I get it now.Good luck with the rest of your journey!
  • jeannate52
    jeannate52 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You are awesome! Thank you for sharing your knowledge. Wow determination and persistence.
  • morningal
    morningal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Great job and great post!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Eta- bloody hell, elle. Look at your neck in the 1zt pic! Wow,, you look so much happier now, and much less......necky
  • zannyzanzanzibar
    zannyzanzanzibar Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Wow, you are such an inspirational woman!! You look amazing, congrats on all your success and thank you for sharing your story :)
  • alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Amazing changes.

I'm bumping you to read your progress at my leisure. Thanks for sharing. :flowerforyou:
  • alkonost0
    alkonost0 Posts: 22
    Options
    Wow great results=]
    Thanks you for your post, you really inspired me.
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story. Amazing. Congratulations on your success and lefestyle!
  • CynthiaWinnie
    Options
    Great job! Keep it up. You are an inspiration for older women.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Your determination is so inspiring. I love how you attacked your quest for health using all the tools available. Feeling good is what it's all about. Looking good is just the gravy on top. Good for you for achieving both.
  • Disneynut
    Disneynut Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your story, I will "tuck" the knowledge away to help with my journey, very best of luck with your new goal :smile:
  • rijhip
    rijhip Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story. Looks like you've been there done that: taken back your life. I just love to see people getting a new lease on life and doing things they never thought possible.
  • Elleinnz
    Options
    Inspiring, Thanks for sharing. I am on my journey and have to lose 200 lbs...I am on for about 5 weeks of in truth, eating healthy and cutting out all the bad carbs. I am doing carb cycling, what are your thoughts on it.
    Enjoy your victory

Personally I have not really looked into carb cycling, as with Paleo I tend to eat reasonably " low carb" . I still eat between 100 and 120 g of carbs most days - but they come from vegetables and fruit. If you look at NET carbs I am around 70 - 80 most days

I suppose I do a tiny bit of carb cycling on the days when I have a " treat" - which normally involves some carbs that I would not normally have - one or two days a week my carbs might be up around 150 g. An example is yesterday where I had a beef pie, AND a piece of cheesecake!!

In the end of the day every one of us are different - there are a ton of people on here that will not agree with what they term "eliminating a food group" - all I can say is - it works for me, and my lifestyle. I will never tell anyone else that is the only way to go - it works for some - and others just can't live without their starches ;-)

I must also make it very clear that I lost the majority of my weight eating those starches - my carbs were most probably around 180 to 200 in the first year!

This is a very good article - I like the whole approach, but especially Section 6.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/7_steps_to_a_flexible_diet

Also this quote sums up my philosophy on carbs:

Starchy carbohydrates are an energy source, not an essential nutrient. This can be good or bad depending on the type and amount of training you do.
  • Elleinnz
    Options
    Inspiring, Thanks for sharing. I am on my journey and have to lose 200 lbs...I am on for about 5 weeks of in truth, eating healthy and cutting out all the bad carbs. I am doing carb cycling, what are your thoughts on it.
    Enjoy your victory

Found this really good article - lots to think about ;-)

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-carb-cycling
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!