Training for a 5K: Help/Tips?

Options
SO I want to do The Color Vibe 5k. It's in 2 months (June 22nd). I've never done a 5k before and I'm not much of a runner (but I do run). I just don't want to end up dying or something in the process of it. They permit walking, but I'd like to run. So what is a good routine to follow in preparation?

Here is the link if you want to sign up in your town: http://thecolorvibe.com/

**This is posted in another forum, also**

Replies

• tlvasa
    tlvasa Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am not a runner, either but have been interested from an exercise aspect. I have uploaded the ap C25K (Couch to 5 K) which will give you daily goals (walk, run, etc) to get there. Once the weather breaks and we really see spring, I am going to try it.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Everyone is probably going to suggest C25K. But here is what I would do.

-Get running shoes fitted at a running store.
    -Walk the 5K 4 times your first week. You will need to cover the distance.
    -Then you can add in some running intervals in weeks 2-7.
    -Be sure to stretch and warm up before running.

I like C25K, but you need to cover the distance whether walking or running.

Have fun.
  • avielosesit
    avielosesit Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    There are tons of great training plans out there, and I really like the Hal Higdon one.

But for me (who has run several 5ks and started not being able to run for 60seconds and am still early in my weight loss journey), the best advice I ever received was to run with my body and not my mind. Concentrate on your breath, focus on your legs. Your mind will try to tell you that you're tired about 10 mins in. Before giving in, check in with your body - for me my legs feel strong and my lungs aren't burning, even though my brain thinks they should be!

I'm doing a race next weekend and I'm a bit nervous because I'm not very fast and several very athletic people from my office will be there. They are all lovely people and won't think twice if I am last out of our group but I would just like to keep up for a change.
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :D I dunno, I just feel like this would be good motivation. I'd train on my none lifting days, which is about 3-4 days out of the week (I'd probably rest on Sunday). I'm trying to gather some friends with me to join in it. I'm excited. I was told to count my steps with my breaths? How exactly does one DO that?
  • avielosesit
    avielosesit Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    No idea re counting breaths, but tell you what: I'm pulling myself out of bed now and heading out for a run. Lets say nice and easy pace, no pressure, all about enjoyment.

Want to "join" me?
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    No idea re counting breaths, but tell you what: I'm pulling myself out of bed now and heading out for a run. Lets say nice and easy pace, no pressure, all about enjoyment.

Want to "join" me?
    Sounds like a plan :P
  • IreneAdler221
    IreneAdler221 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :D I dunno, I just feel like this would be good motivation. I'd train on my none lifting days, which is about 3-4 days out of the week (I'd probably rest on Sunday). I'm trying to gather some friends with me to join in it. I'm excited. I was told to count my steps with my breaths? How exactly does one DO that?

Try to work rest days in there and avoid overtraining. I try to follow a lift, rest, run schedule, myself. I did C25k and recommend it to everyone starting out. Good luck on your 5k :)
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    Thanks (:
  • ouleanna
    ouleanna Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've done two 10k's now, and with both I joined a training team. It was a 10 week training team, and every 2 weeks we increased a mile (on Saturday) with gradual increases during the week. Like the first week we'd do 3 days...1 mile the first day, 1 mile the second day, and 1.5 the last.

Now for the running part...I guess I would have to say I am more of a jogger right now. I can't wait until I can actually RUN! I'm at a 13 min/mile pace (on a good day 12 or 12:30). To get at that pace, I would run at a nice even pace and set goals, like "I'll run to the corner." If I got to the corner and felt like I could push on, then I would set another goal. I've gotten to the point that I can jog the whole 6.2 miles now.

Good luck!
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    That's awesome (: I think I'm gonna do it gradually, too. I have about 10 weeks as well
  • dotamy
    dotamy Posts: 16
    Options
    Re: running with your breaths -- four steps in, breathe, four steps out, exhale. It may feel like a long time at first, but you will get the hang of it. Counting also gives you something else to focus on besides your mind playing tricks on you. And the poster who said 'run with your body, not your mind' couldn't have said it better! I'm training for a triathlon right now and my mind gives out lonnnnggg before my body does! I finally feel like I've conquered the running zone-out, and I've been running three years! ;) go you for doing a 5k!
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    :DD I like the runners high feeling. Thank you for helping me with the counting portion of it
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    Has only tried that Zombies Run 5K app?