So Much For the Calories In - Calories Out Thing

Options

Replies

• cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I believe you have to eat an excess of something like 3500 calories to put on a pound of fat. Do you actually think that 2 pounds is fat? Or do you think it's more likely that it's a reflection of your body's natural fluctuations? I had a girl's night out full of cheese and beergaritas once and was up NINE POUNDS the next morning. I didn't put on nine pounds of fat over night and a few days of lots of water and clean eating and it was gone. A week is not nearly enough to time to see real changes to begin with, and two pounds is well within fluctuation range your body goes through throughout the day. Hang in there and try to focus on the big picture.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    A week is no time at all. You'll need to go on for at least a month before you can draw any kind of conclusion, especially if you're female. The body will retain different amounts of water depending on what you eat, and your intestines will contain different amounts of junk depending on what you've eaten.

Calories in, calories out is pure physics. Calories out may change due to the amounts of macro nutrients you eat, but as long as you stay above 1g of fat per kg bodyweight the difference isn't very big.

^^Was just about to say this. A week is not enough time. It is barely enough time to let your body adjust to the sudden change and the experimentt(which could even explain the gain)
  • Txnurse97
    Txnurse97 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I know it's super easy to get caught up in the scale. I'm the QUEEN of getting caught up in the scale, especially since I haven't lost weight in over 4 months. But maybe this will help: two pictures, taken 4 months apart last year:

61bd37fd-0516-4667-a3e7-3017aeddf29a_zpscdb99bb6.jpg
    1ccd2369-ddfa-4f2d-9559-f6d9ca91ef93_zps8a5e5af0.jpg

Looks like quite a big difference, right? It's only a difference of 3.6 pounds.

So keep up the working out! The weight WILL come off. But you can still see a difference in appearance even if there isn't one on the scale!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    There are a number of reasons weight can fluctuate.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but 1 week is a retarded sample size.

Eat the exact same way for 6 weeks and then post you results here
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    A week is no time at all. You'll need to go on for at least a month before you can draw any kind of conclusion, especially if you're female. The body will retain different amounts of water depending on what you eat, and your intestines will contain different amounts of junk depending on what you've eaten.

Calories in, calories out is pure physics. Calories out may change due to the amounts of macro nutrients you eat, but as long as you stay above 1g of fat per kg bodyweight the difference isn't very big.
    THIS
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    You can't go by one week! When I was losing I had a pattern of losing, then gaining, then losing again. Each losing time, though I would end up lower than the last one, so it all worked out in the end. Once I got used to the pattern, I didn't worry about the gaining. Usually it would be a 2-3 week cycle for me like that, and in the end it averaged out to 1-2 pounds of loss per week.

this is me, i yo yo then settle lower, this is disheartening i know, but a week is nothing, literally nothing!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    um... in one week anything can happen - regardless of caloric intake. it's not a significant measurement of whether something "works" or not.

were you stressed this week? did you sleep enough? etc etc etc there are a million factors that go into it. however, if you continued your experiment for a legitimate period of time instead of ... well... a week... you'd find it does work.

cal in/out works for weight loss.

however, that said, I am a proponent of eating the right kinds of calories as well, because I find health to be just as important as weight.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but 1 week is a retarded sample size.

Eat the exact same way for 6 weeks and then post you results here

:flowerforyou:
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Weightless doesn't work in neat 1 week increments.

It's an incremental process....
  • avatrx
    avatrx Posts: 52
    Options
    I am sooooooo with you on this!!!! I have watched and weighed and exercised to no avail. I am sick of trying-I've been exercising 6 days a week, and haven't lost a pound. My body is changing, but no loss whatsoever. Very discouraging.......
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Really?!!!

pD3EQ.gif
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    My weight fluctuates however I started to make a spreadsheet to track what may influence any gains / losses more. I log everything here but also on the spreadsheet I keep track of calories, fat,carbs, protein,my percentages, workouts (actual) as well as sodium. On each weigh in day I put on the previous week my loss / gain etc. after a few weeks I will go and compare numbers to see if there is a pattern. Being a woman - I will also track my monthly friend as this will play a HUGE role in any weight gain.

The spreadsheet so far is only 3 weeks in and nothing stands out yet except maybe sodium. One week will not give you a clear picture of what affects your weight. I also measure myself...this helps boost my mood when the scale doesn't move or moves the wrong way. Last week I only lost .6 of a pound however I lost an inch off my waist and over an inch off my arms....my body fat % is also down.

Do not solely rely on the scale - measure yourself at least monthly. The scale measures everything - fat - WATER - gas etc.

It is heart breaking when the scale doesn't show a loss so using other methods may help boost your confidence. FYI - I also started to use the TDEE-20% (first week of using this method I lost 3 lbs - course the following only .6)
  • avatrx
    avatrx Posts: 52
    Options
    I am sooooooo with you on this!!!! I have watched and weighed and exercised to no avail. I am sick of trying-I've been exercising 6 days a week, and haven't lost a pound. My body is changing, but no loss whatsoever. Very discouraging.......

I find this thread so interesting. I was saying the same thing over a month ago. Then I started writing down everything, or at least as much as I could. I find putting in food into the counter rather difficult since most of what I consume - other than basic stuff - I make. I make soup. I make pasta - I make bread etc. you get the point. so I often just do the 'add calories' section and put in the amount as best I can based on my recipe program that calculates. (I'll post the software in another thread)

I exercise at least 3 times per week. I indulge in my Kirkland Brand margaritas at least twice, but I do allow calories for that.

It now seems I've lost about 5 lbs. initially I gained. I bought a new scale. WW scale at Bed Bath and Beyond $29. measures weight / body fat/ bone mass / water weight and 1 other.

I may only have lost 5 lbs, but today I had to change my jeans because the ones that were tight - bagged out so badly after about an hour - I had to take them off.

I'm 59 - post menopause (which I blamed for a long time).

My son is doing P90X and this is what they say (if I remember correctly - if not someone please correct me)
    breakfast - eat carbs - they will provide fuel for the day. lunch - fruits, veggies and some protein to keep you going. dinner - mostly protein to repair the day's worth of damage. don't go more than three hours without something. I carry nutri-grain fruit crunch bars in my tote when I'm out an about. 1 bar = 95 calories. one midmorning - 1 mid afternoon.

All the while - keep track of your calories. try to stay at or above at LEAST 1000. preferably 1200. I tend to fluctuate between 900 and 1300. I do consume back - the extra calories I get.

A month ago I would have felt the same as you do. I'm becoming a believer. hopefully now that I"ve said this I won't gain 10 lbs.:smile:
  • cmstirp
    cmstirp Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I totally get that you''re frustrated and feel like no matter what you do, you can't lose weight.
    To me, it sounds like you had already decided this method wouldn't work for you, and you were just waiting for it to fail. So what kind of a chance did it really have at working?

As others have said, try it out for a month or two, and see if you get different results.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    A week, really? I recorded my weight daily for two months just out of curiosity, and it fluctuated anywhere from 2.5 to 5 pounds within a one-week period...So many things can factor into your total body weight from day to day, that a week's experimentation will NOT give you an accurate representation of anything--give it a month or two at least...
  • aliceclutz90
    aliceclutz90 Posts: 151 Member
    Options

You are most likely gaining lean muscle and losing fat. Great result IMO :) Take your physical measurements and if you know of anywhere you can ask a trainer to do a body fat tes for you, I would recommend that too.

I say this because my weight in the past few months has stayed at the same give or take 1 or 2 lbs, my body fat has decreased by over 4% and I've lost 6cm off my stomach, 2cm off my hips and 1cm off each thigh. So I don't really care what the scales say any more
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    My body is changing

Put your scale in the closet, keep it there for a couple months, stay the course, and focus on what you see in the mirror.

You're way too hung up on numbers to the point of being OCD.

Your body is responding, which means you're doing the right thing !!!!

Let your body changes be the indicator of your true progress, not some number on some scale. Scale weight is just one of many indicators of success or progress, and not even the main indicator. It won't tell you what part of those numbers is water gains/losses versus fat gains/losses versus strength gains, muscle gains, lean body mass gains, fitness levels, etc.

Yank your scale off the pedestal you've put it on and aim for a healthy balance with sensible lifestyle choices. You're making yourself crazy for no reason whatsoever. Trust your body and your choices. Fat loss and fitness has everything to do with making sensible choices and with patience and persistence to gain long-term results, not something that happens in a week. A week is nothing in the grand scheme of things. It's what you do over the span of some months and/or years that ultimately matters, so just stay the course and stick to a general range of numbers that you know are realistic for you.

If you notice, the name of this site is MyFitnessPal, not MyCaloriePal or MyScalePal, so focus on the fitness aspect of things and choose foods that will help you achieve your fitness goals and enhance your health and overall well-being.
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    A week? You're basing this off of a week?