• alychil820
    alychil820 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    People drink raw milk????

I've seriously never heard this before.
  • kristank03
    kristank03 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    We love our raw milk. We have a herd share here in MI. My son has only drank raw milk!

If you guys are interested in getting raw milk, and don't know where, realmilk.com had a great 'finder' so you can search by state. We used it to find a local family farm so we could get milk when we traveled home to Kansas! http://www.realmilk.com/real-milk-finder/
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    In the old country anytime you go to a farm they usually serve you fresh, raw milk. I sometimes go to the Sudani people in Saudi Arabia who milk a camel in front of you and drink the milk. Eat some dates. Smoke some Hukkah. Chat. Its a party!

From what I've been told, raw milk is good to drink right away. I think after about 1 hour or 2 hours you should boil it or put it in the fridge but always boil before drinking after 1 or 2 hours.

PS. Raw Camel milk tastes very sweet. Also the raw buffalo milk tastes awesome too!
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I used to be able to buy raw milk in the store. The last time before it was outlawed it was $8/gallon. That was over 6 years ago. Now we have to get it direct from the farm, which I suppose is better for everyone.
  • CJDaniel7
    CJDaniel7 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If I had a source, I would use it. But since I don't, I don't drink a lot of dairy. Still eat cheese those, preferable from Europe.
    Grew up with dairys, urban boy now.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I wish I could buy raw milk! Damn Wisconsin...
  • stargazer008
    Options
    I would love to get raw milk but the problem is that Canada has banned it :angry:
  • suznut8
    suznut8 Posts: 28
    Options
    Canada has banned raw milk!?! that's crazy.
  • suznut8
    suznut8 Posts: 28
    Options
    nasty
    Thanks for you well thought out and informational reply!
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    When I was a child we had cows and my father would bring a bucket of milk in every night, by morning it was cold and great tasting. The pasteurized milk we get in stores is nothing like that fresh milk.

The whole pasteurized vs raw is a decision that people need to make for themselves I realize that some people have weak/compromised immune systems but a healthy person can drink raw milk without much risk as long as it is collected in a hygienic manner.
  • fitnessbugg
    fitnessbugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I wish I could buy raw milk around here. Anybody from southeast Michigan?
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    <<donning fire proof suit>> Please note that I get this information from my hubby who is a dairy nutrition professor and nutritional epidemiologist (yes - there is such a job). E-coli, salmonella and listeria and camphilobacter have been identified in raw milk food poisoning incidents. Typically Oregon will have between 20-80 food poisoning incidents (not deaths) tied to raw milk resulting in hospitalization and serious kidney damage. Between 1912 and 1937 65,000 people died from tuberculosis contracted from unpasteurized milk in Great Britain. That being said, many millions of people have survived drinking raw milk before the advent of pasteurization. The intent of pasteurization is not to kill all microbes in milk - just reduce the number of viable pathogens.

As with all things, there is risk. If you have grown up on a farm where you drank raw milk and ate raw milk products exclusively - your gut flora is likely to be robust enough to fend off unwanted pathogens. Someone who has never drank raw milk and suddenly makes the change to raw milk without first vetting the source is accepting a higher level of risk for getting sick.

The folks posting on this thread have rightly vetted their sources or are their own source of raw milk. If you are going to purchase raw milk, it is critical to know where the milk came from. It would be even better to visit the farm to look at the farm's sanitation practices and how they treat their animals. Ask to look at their sanitation schedule - a rotating schedule allows for reduction of pathogens and minimizes the possibility of resistant bacteria rearing it's ugly head. Generally speaking an organic raw milk producer is likely going to put more effort into a clean sustainable operation - it's a selling point. Nonetheless it's good to trust but verify.

There are continual reports of food borne pathogen outbreaks. Salmonella, listeriosis, Hep A, Hep B, E-coli, etc. I've worked in the meat industry which has a world class sanitation program but there are still food borne illnesses from meat that was not processed safely (but not to worry - the days of Sinclair's The Jungle are no longer). It's best to follow good food safety handling practices for all foods. Refrigerate and freeze things promptly, don't let raw meat come into contact with cooked meat, and keep your kitchen clean/sanitized regularly.
  • skinnylynnie74
    skinnylynnie74 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ thanks Iggyboo for that well-informed contribution!
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    <<donning fire proof suit>> Please note that I get this information from my hubby who is a dairy nutrition professor and nutritional epidemiologist (yes - there is such a job). E-coli, salmonella and listeria and camphilobacter have been identified in raw milk food poisoning incidents. Typically Oregon will have between 20-80 food poisoning incidents (not deaths) tied to raw milk resulting in hospitalization and serious kidney damage. Between 1912 and 1937 65,000 people died from tuberculosis contracted from unpasteurized milk in Great Britain. That being said, many millions of people have survived drinking raw milk before the advent of pasteurization. The intent of pasteurization is not to kill all microbes in milk - just reduce the number of viable pathogens.

As with all things, there is risk. If you have grown up on a farm where you drank raw milk and ate raw milk products exclusively - your gut flora is likely to be robust enough to fend off unwanted pathogens. Someone who has never drank raw milk and suddenly makes the change to raw milk without first vetting the source is accepting a higher level of risk for getting sick.

The folks posting on this thread have rightly vetted their sources or are their own source of raw milk. If you are going to purchase raw milk, it is critical to know where the milk came from. It would be even better to visit the farm to look at the farm's sanitation practices and how they treat their animals. Ask to look at their sanitation schedule - a rotating schedule allows for reduction of pathogens and minimizes the possibility of resistant bacteria rearing it's ugly head. Generally speaking an organic raw milk producer is likely going to put more effort into a clean sustainable operation - it's a selling point. Nonetheless it's good to trust but verify.

There are continual reports of food borne pathogen outbreaks. Salmonella, listeriosis, Hep A, Hep B, E-coli, etc. I've worked in the meat industry which has a world class sanitation program but there are still food borne illnesses from meat that was not processed safely (but not to worry - the days of Sinclair's The Jungle are no longer). It's best to follow good food safety handling practices for all foods. Refrigerate and freeze things promptly, don't let raw meat come into contact with cooked meat, and keep your kitchen clean/sanitized regularly.

Iggy I agree with everything you say, I tried to make that disclaimer in my post but thank you for elaborating on the risks. I do think that with the advancements in hygiene in agriculture and animal health since the early 1900's would make raw milk today safer then back then.

If you put anything in your body you should research it and if possible know where it came from. <-(Should be common sense)
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    We love our raw milk. We have a herd share here in MI. My son has only drank raw milk!

If you guys are interested in getting raw milk, and don't know where, realmilk.com had a great 'finder' so you can search by state. We used it to find a local family farm so we could get milk when we traveled home to Kansas! http://www.realmilk.com/real-milk-finder/

I'm all for people drinking raw milk if they're aware of the risks and willing to assume said risks. I have had it myself on occasion. Tastes great, but the price is too high for me. Plus, I don't drink a lot of milk and it goes bad quickly, even in the fridge.

However, the finder link above makes the following claim that I find specious at best:

"Furthermore, in many children not fortunate enough to have started life on raw milk, raw milk given later in childhood has cured autism, behavior problems, frequent infections, deafness, asthma and allergies and other serious health conditions."

Really? Milk can cure deafness? And autism? It's claims like these that make the raw milk proponents seem like a bunch of whack-a-moles.
  • WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    As I've said elsewhere on here, we drink only raw from a good local source. We did our due diligence, too. You have to. We're so fortunate to have access. I feel sorry for those who live in places that it's either not readily available or downright illegal.