A Game of Thones, Book Series

Options
GuitarJerry
GuitarJerry Posts: 6,102 Member
I'm interested in reading this, but I get so confused. There are so many different books. I want to start from the beginning. What is the first one? There are box sets. I'm look at A Song of Ice and Fire box set, which has (A Game of Thrones / A Feast for Crows / A Storm of Swords / Clash of Kings). Is that the start of it all? I know once I start it will be easy, but as a beginner, it's kinda hard to figure out.

I want to download it to my kindle. This will be like 6 years of reading for me. LOL

Thanks.

Replies

• ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    The box set has them listed in the proper order, with "A Game of Thrones" being the first book.
  • sean_logan
    Options
    There are currently 5 books in the series and they were published in this order:

Game of Thrones
    Clash of Kings
    Storm of Swords
    Feast for Crows
    Dance with Dragons

Feast/Dance run somewhat concurrently and you can find a guide if you want to read them simultaneously but I just read them 1-5. Hope this helps. They're fantastic reading.
  • ddipert
    ddipert Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    IMO the books are much more interesting than the HBO series. Also, it's a lot easier to figure out what's going on since there are so many characters.
  • louisey112
    louisey112 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I love the books - currently on Book 5
  • Irish_Eyes81
    Irish_Eyes81 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Currently just got the books delivered to me by the great UPS man, will start book one today, lol
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    read all the book ...piece of advice..Don't bother having a favorite character. Martin is kinda hard on his fans emotions lol :sad: :grumble:

And he writes super fricken slow
  • karmstg
    karmstg Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm going to throw in a general pointer for dealing with the "what order do the books go in" problem. When in doubt, check the author's website. Authors know it's an issue, and a frustrating one for readers. It seems obvious that the book order should go on the cover, right? "A Song of Ice and Fire: Book 1." But publishers aren't keen to do that, because it stops readers from picking up book 4 or 5 or 10 in a series. Even when a publisher does put it on the cover, major bookseller chains may ask for it to be removed, for the same reason. The compromise is to put it on the interior title page, but even that isn't a guarantee.

So check the author's site, and he/she has almost certainly laid out the order. Here's the one for GRRM: http://www.georgerrmartin.com/book-category/?cat=song-of-ice-and-fire

And they are amazing books :)
  • andrea464
    andrea464 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I tried to read the books. I got through the first chapter but ws so confused I couldn't do it! I was able to follow the story line better on the series b/c I could associate the names with the characters.
  • Fit_NYC_
    Fit_NYC_ Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    read all the book ...piece of advice..Don't bother having a favorite character. Martin is kinda hard on his fans emotions lol :sad: :grumble:

And he writes super fricken slow

I love the books... They really frame the show because it can only cover so much. But yes... DO NOT fall in love with any character... the sword finds them all sooner or later.