"to snack or not to snack: That's the question"

Options
I find myself hungry between meals and I snack because I think if I dont snack i slow down my metabolism, or will end up overeating in the next meal. But I'm reading a book and she doesnt talk about snacks, she only talk about 3 healthy sustancial meals. And also there is people who say you have to go to bed hungry in order to lose weight, and there is people who say to eat protein before bed.
What the heck!! I am so confuse!!!! HEEEEEELP !!!!!

Replies

• mikegales
    mikegales Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Bump. In NO way is my opinion expert. I eat healthy snacks when I am active and little or no snacks on sedentary days. Also I have a sweet tooth and a small unhealthy snack at night ( a girl scout cookie) keeps me from binging.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Meal/macro timing/frequency/size is irrelevant. I eat one huge meal right before I go to bed and nothing else except maybe a little coffee in the morning. Eat when hungry.
  • weephees
    weephees Posts: 27
    Options
    I am not really a snacker however I think you should consider what you are snacking on, if I do find I want something in-between meals it is usually fruit or vegetables like frozen peas which are a lot healthier than other icy treats. I just make sure anything I eat fits in with my calories and relatively healthy but everyone needs a wee treat now and then.
  • malena43
    malena43 Posts: 31
    Options
    Thanks for the advice folks!!
    I survive yesterday without snacking only a protein shake after workout and I felt good. I am trying to not snack. And I don't eat before bed because a trainer said that on TV, (Dr Oz)...
  • aliceclutz90
    aliceclutz90 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I totally relate to this OP, you can't get a straight answer can you?

The thing that personally has worked for me is TO snack in between meals, ensuring the snacks contain an element of protein. The eating every 3 -4 hours seems to really work. Things like celery and houmous or a small amount of nuts with some berries taste nice :) But yeah, that's just what has worked for me
  • Moonbeem11
    Moonbeem11 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm an expert by proxy - my good friend is a Naturopathic Dr. The optimal way to eat is many small meals in a day. It keeps your metabolism going. I also heard this from someone who owned a gym. He was always eating, in the middle of the night, whenever - but not really big meals. I eat before bed if hungry, no harm, personally I believe this keeps the metabolism going.
  • MasterKat
    MasterKat Posts: 149
    Options
    I snack... I usually throw in an apple between lunch and dinner. Sometimes after dinner I find myself snacky around 7 so I usually go for a Greek Yogurt (helps the sweet tooth too). I like salty, crunchy snacks too :blushing: ... I found these things at Costco called Veggie Straws....a handful of those and my craving is gone.

I just know, FOR ME, that if I sit down at a meal starving I will over eat...I know I should stop but I just can't make myself sometimes.

Dieting can be full of trial and errors... find what works for you...just try not to go through it all, hungry. :bigsmile:
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    The timing and spacing of meals has no effect on how much weight you lose. Your total caloric intake is what counts.

Read up on intermittent fasting research (e.g., the effects of Ramadan-style fasts on insulin regulation and so on).
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    In the last year and a bit, I've done it all - snacked, eaten every hour, intermittent fasting, eaten only set meals. Some things I've learnt:
    1) I can lose weight irrespective of what I do
    2) I won't die if I go for 3 hours or more without eating even if I feel hungry :noway:
    3) Snacking keeps acidity levels up in your mouth which keeps my dentist in business
    4) I can get fat irrespective of what I do

At the moment, I'm sticking to 4 set meals, no snacking at all. It's funny because prior to that I was eating every hour or so. Now each meal feels like a real feast.

As long as I eat within a set calorie range and keep my protein intake at a minimum of 120g, I'm happy.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's a personal preference. I am a snacker. I rarely go more than 4 hours while I'm awake without eating. I prefer much smaller meals more frequently. If I eat too much at once, I feel horible.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    You have to figure out what works for you. Some people get hungrier at night, some people in the morning, etc. I pretty much like to eat all the time so I keep my meals small and eat loads of low cal snacks. That's what works for me.
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    if you feel hungry, eat! listen to your body. Eat a little or eat a lot, but EAT
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Eating small snacks (like fruit) keeps me from overeating at dinner. I only eat them if I get really hungry and it's too long before dinner. I don't go to bed hungry at night, or I can't sleep. Then I'll feel the need to stuff myself in the morning.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I guess it also depends on what you do. If you have a set amount you're going to eat for dinner and you are happy to eat that, then great. If you find that you've eaten the set food you planned but cannot resist grabbing more, then perhaps snacking's a good idea for you. If I'm hungry after eating my allocation of food, then I'll drink green teas etc. Also, if you can't sleep when you're hungry, then you'll have to snack especially if you wake up in the morning and binge. As I say, depends on what you do.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I eat small meals and a lot of snacks. Keeps me from binging.
  • KathrynKennewell108
    KathrynKennewell108 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    The trouble with this is, if you go read 10 different books, blogs etc, you will invariably get 10 different opinions on what to do or what not to do. A drop in metabolism is overrated as a reason to just go eat. Learn to feel hunger between meals. Personally, I eat 3 squares and a top up around 3 - 3.30 in the afternoon - so roughly 4 hourly feeds. Eat protein with each meal, keep carbs down, esp simple carbs (to be avoided in general), don't forget your healthy fats (that includes saturated fats), limit your fruit intake to 1 - 2 serves a day (you don't need the fructose - get your fibre from veg), eat as much salad and veg as comfortable for you when you have your meals, and after all that, hunger should not be an issue between meals if your daily water intake is sufficient (30ml per kg body weight) and evenly spread over the course of the day. The age old "eat like a king for breakfast, eat like a prince for lunch and eat like a pauper for dinner" should take care of the snacking issues.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I stopped "snacking". I throw the "snacks" in with my meals. I used to think I needed snacks and bkfst and all that ****. But I don't.
  • mistesh
    mistesh Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I think if I dont snack i slow down my metabolism, or will end up overeating in the next meal.

Why do you think so? Your exhaustive answer is most appreciated!