Today, I am Moving to Free Weights.

Options
OK - I like to lift heavy, but I lift heavy on the machines. I really want to go to the free weights as I'm not quite getting all the muscles I want to target (especially in my arms. I have a good bicep forming, but no matter what I do, my triceps are still flabby). I've googled some exercises but mainly watched the men (and few women) lift in the free weights... And I'm still intimidated. All the women who lift have clearly been lifting for a while, they are all toned and know what they're doing. I'm going to be that awkward chubby girl next to the meatheads staring at the dumb bell rack wondering what I should do and how heavy I should lift...

Any tips?

Replies

• MaraPN
    MaraPN Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Just do it.

Google the exercises you do now, so you can see how you can do them with free weights.
    Or find a good schedule to do them and google them to see how to do them.
    Im starting New rules of lifting for women on monday and the book has schedules and each exercise is demonstrated.
  • FlannelMothman
    FlannelMothman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I really should buy that book...
  • _Cheyanne_
    _Cheyanne_ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    No worries, get someone to teach you proper form. Weight shouldnt be added until you get the movements down. Once you got it, it's all you! The fun begins and you don't have to worry about what the "meatheads" think. You'll be more focused on your workouts
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! Free weights are way more effective than machines because the latter focus only on one muscle group at a time. You may want to look into HIIT using freeweights that utilize multiple muscle groups. You work on your abs, legs WHILE you are bumping your arms, Sounds good, no? :) Good luck and enjoy!
  • FlannelMothman
    FlannelMothman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Well, it didn't go /bad/, but it wasn't /good/ either. I'll try again tomorrow!
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    What happened? How did it go? Don´t give up, just keep going. I just started three weeks ago and still feel a little silly with my "babyweights", but it´s about proper form, not weight, at first. Don´t worry about the "meatheads". They have started with the beginning as well. I asked some of the guys to help me and correct me, if I did something wrong- wich ofcourse I did and do. I think it´s great that you go ahead and go for it!! :drinker:

By the way: most guys are very friendly and happy to help. And they think more about their own workout than yours, don´t worry.

BTW 2: You have to have a plan, when you get there. I do StrongLifts 5x5 program, it´s three exercises, three times a week, changing between workout A+B.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro3Mh9o7JPU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP2g3Sj3qSw