Favorite Heart Rate Monitor

Options
2»

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Looking into incorporating a hear rate monitor into my workouts! What are some of your favorites and why?

I love my Pyle Sports HRM PHRM38. It seems to be a great hrm for those on a budget. I have the pink version, but it comes in other collars.

Features:
    - Time/Date
    - Present HR
    - Max HR
    - Avg HR
    - Target Zone Setting
    - 1/100 sec stopwatch
    - Calories Burnt
    - Daily Alarm
    - User Setting (age, weight, vo2 max)
    - Led backlight
    - Energy Saving Function
    - Display Off
    - Water Resistant 33 feet/10 meters/1 ATM
    - ability to change battery in chest strap and watch

The only problem I have with it is the watch is pretty big. They didn't scale it down for a female, but I can't complain too much when I only paid $26 for it. I would have gone with a polar, but I'm on a tight budget and this seems to work well. It doesn't have all the features of the more expensive ones.
  • Requiembell
    Requiembell Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Does anyone use one without a chest strap? I have a New Balance one that's ok, but I'd love to have something effective with just a watch/wrist strap.

Yes, I have a Mio. It has two buttons on the face that you lay your first two fingers on and it gets your Hr it is accurate. It counts calories among other things. I am looking into getting a Polar though. Unfortunately I don't think the Mio is accurate with calorie count. I think this is because it only records your heart rate when you ask it to apposed to a chest strap which would continuously monitor it.

Right.. Chest strap HRMs are accurate.
  • kelbwjax
    kelbwjax Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I used to have a Polar FT7. It did it's job....counted cals burned and kept track of HR.

Now I have the FT60 and I am so glad I made the switch. The FT60 gives me a workout plan based on my goals. It gives me a certain # of cals to burn and a time goal for each zone that I should reach each week...which is super motivating. It also has a VO2 max test that makes my cals burned a little more personalized than just putting in my height, weight, and age.

I have used the FT60 for years and it is rocks solid! Better than the FT80 in my opinion.

I recently ordered the RS800CX GPS G5 because I intend to take things to a whole new level, but FT60 is a hell of a machine.

I love that this one offers a workout out plan!!!
  • kelbwjax
    kelbwjax Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    polar ft40 because it breaks down my calories burned and fat percentage at the end of my workout.

Considering getting this one! I think it might be a good first hrm to invest in. Trying to figure out if this or the Ft7 is better
  • RacheUk82
    RacheUk82 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4, a basic entry level one that does all I need.

Tells me cals burnt, min and max heart rates within that time frame.

Really glad I purchased it.
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I used to have a Polar FT7. It did it's job....counted cals burned and kept track of HR.

Now I have the FT60 and I am so glad I made the switch. The FT60 gives me a workout plan based on my goals. It gives me a certain # of cals to burn and a time goal for each zone that I should reach each week...which is super motivating. It also has a VO2 max test that makes my cals burned a little more personalized than just putting in my height, weight, and age.

I have used the FT60 for years and it is rocks solid! Better than the FT80 in my opinion.

I recently ordered the RS800CX GPS G5 because I intend to take things to a whole new level, but FT60 is a hell of a machine.

I find it pretty motivating. And it's totally changed the way I train. I used to go 100% everytime and I'd burn myself out. The ft60 made me realize that I need to hit all 3 zones when I workout.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I have had an FT7 for about four months but this past week it has been playing up. When I start the HR reading is very high and it then bounces all over the place. Will look at replacing the batteries before I really panic lol
  • ddfault
    ddfault Posts: 1
    Options
    Zephyr now has a HxM Smart which is marketed towards the iPhone. Its presently $54 on Amazon instead of $74 for the "Android" version. The big difference is the HxM Smart is Bluetooth LE (Low Energy) and the fact it uses coin batteries. I have tested and can confirm that the Endomondo app running on my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (GT-N7100) on Android 4.3 works great. The mere fact that its low energy is supposed to greatly increase battery life (and the battery is replaceable by twisting off the back of the device). The packaging also came with a replacement battery. During one of my workouts I had some cutting out from my Bluetooth headset. I resolved it by keeping the screen on. My issues probably has more to do with running too many apps and "Battery savings" enabled than anything else. Also in a different app they recommended turning off WiFi while using the Bluetooth LE for better reliability of the connection.

The REAL big difference between using the HxM and the HxM Smart is... With the HxM, you pair the device using the phone's Bluetooth pairing software. With HxM Smart (Because its Bluetooth LE) the device never shows up in the phones Bluetooth pairing software. You have to use the specific app to connect to the Low Energy device. It varies from app to app. You can only connect the HxM Smart to one app at a time. For Endomondo its under Settings -> Accessory Settings -> Bluetooth SMART Sensors. You tap the Scan button and the Zephyr HXM20000xxxx device instantly appears in the list. You can tap it and it connects right up. With some applications, the "device profile" you have to use is the BLE Heart Rate monitor. (which is another Bluetooth LE hear rate monitor device) I've downloaded iCardio and it does in fact support the HxM Smart sensor for $2.99. You can purchase both Sensors and Fitness Assessments for $5.99 inside iCardio.

Bluetooth 4.0 and Bluetooth Low Energy appear to require Android 4.3 to work correctly.
    Digifit has a small partial listing of compatible devices here:
    http://blog.digifit.com/2013/12/androids-bluetooth-energy-compatiblity/

So perhaps this HxM Smart solves some of the problems you have against the HxM while adding some new problems to the mix! =D :happy:
    If you have a smart phone, consider the Zephyr. It's a Bluetooth HRM that communicates with your Android phone via the Endomondo app. I paid $75 for the Zephyr on Amazon. You can download the Endomondo app for free, although I would recommend breaking the bank and paying $2 for the Pro version.

I used to have an iPod attached to one arm and a dedicated HRM strapped to the other. And when cycling, I'd also have a GPS on my bike. I looked like a science experiment. With the Zephyr, everything is combined, contained and controlled with my phone.

Endomondo Pro, coupled with the Zephyr HRM, is easily the most effective (results and cost) training tool I've ever used. And it's a very nice bonus that MFP and Endomondo share data. All of my workout calorie burns are automatically uploaded to MFP which is very convenient. Endomondo utilizes the phone's GPS capabilities to track all workouts. In addition to your heart rate, you can track your speed, lap times, elevations changes, calories burned, steps taken (yes, it has a pedometer), pace and more. And all of this data is displayed in big, beautiful, living color on your phone's screen. A very nice upgrade over the tiny displays on dedicated HRMs.

The latest release of Endomondo has greatly expanded the audio coaching capabilities of the app. You can now customize the app to provide exactly the information you would like to hear as you workout. It will tell you your heart rate, speed, pace, calories burned, elapsed time, etc. at whatever intervals you choose. This is very handy for me because my primary cardio in the winter is cross country skiing, and my arms are heavily involved in each workout. It's very nice to have all the vital information spoken in my headphones. I never have to stop my arm swing to see my heart rate or other data.

All of your workout data is maintained in history files on your phone, and it's also automatically uploaded to the Endomondo website where you can analyze your workouts in much greater depth. Unfortunately, Endomondo recently locked out some of the analytical features on the free version of the website application, forcing you to buy a monthly subscription to get the full suite of tools. I use the paid version because I'm an analytical geek who scrutinizes every workout to find clues for ways to improve my speed, fitness, etc.

The only potential negative is that you can't change the battery. Once it had been recharged to death, you will have to purchase a new transmitting pod at $50 to $60. I can't say how many recharges the thing will take before it dies, however. I have had mine for about a year and even with daily use, it's still going strong.

This combination of tools has been key in helping me dramatically improve fitness markers such as resting heart rate, recovery heart rate, lactate threshold, blood pressure, etc. I can't imagine every going back to a dedicated HRM.
  • ksamra100
    ksamra100 Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi all,

I do a home workout dvd program (Focus T 25) and would love to know what is the best way to count all calories burned during the workout and during the day in addition to miles walked, steps, heart rate etc. I would like to wear a wrist band that measures these stats accurately and automatically sync it with MFP.

I am not very tech savvy so I want something that isn't very complicated to use and understand but it should do the job. There are so many options listed on this site. Not sure what is the best. I know Body Fit has a arm band but that one is too bulky and very visible to be worn all day long. It won't look very professional wearing it to the office. Is there something that can be worn as a wristband without making it too obvious.

Thank you all your help
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options

I find it pretty motivating. And it's totally changed the way I train. I used to go 100% everytime and I'd burn myself out. The ft60 made me realize that I need to hit all 3 zones when I workout.

Ditto these two for the same reasons... glad I upgrade my FT7 to the FT60.
    In all honestly, I usually just wear my fitbit these days.
  • ksamra100
    Options
    So you wear FT 60 with the chest strap during workouts and wear the Fitbit during the day since its less bulky than the FT60? Can one wear the FT60 with the chest strap during workout and regular course of the day if we don't want to spend extra money?

Is the FT60 easier to use and understand? Do the FT60 and Fitbit automatically sync wit MFP?

Thank you for your time.
  • ksamra100
    Options
    What is the difference with FT 60, Fitbit and Polar Loop Activity Monitor and H7 Heart Rate Transmitter? Don't they all give you the same information except FT 60 is a more bulky watch and the other two are wristbands?

There are so many options offering almost same stats so I want to make sure I make the right decision and this product will deliver its expectations. I have been working out since Jan but haven't really seen any major results so def need to change up things.

Thanks for your help.