Help! TDEE.....Did I do the calculations right?

Options
So I read the post about TDEE and the 20% deficit.

I'm 22 female, 5'1 and I weight 148. GW: 110

So I have a tape measurement for this and Fat2Fit calculated that I have 39.7% body fat. :cry: :cry:

So for my BMR, I used the Katch-McArdle formula which says my BMR is 1244.

This is the part where I get a bit confused. I do Cardio Kickboxing (Monday), Zumba (Tues through Thurs) and Jillian Michael's Body Revolution everyday. Is that light or moderate exercise? Other than that, I sit around my apartment or go to my classes.

If it's light exercise: then my TDEE would be (1244 x 1.375) = 1710.
Then I calculate my 20% deficit which would be (1710 x .80) = 1368

If it's moderate exercise then my TDEE would be (1244 x 1.55) = 1928
Then my deficit of 20% would be (1928 x .80) = 1542

Did I do my calculations correctly? Am I doing moderate or light exercise? And when I change this on MFP and I exercise, then I should be netting 1368 (light exercise) or 1542 (moderate exercise) right?

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I asked the same question yesterday about whether I'm light or moderate exercise! The opinions I got were moderate, and you do more than I, so I'd guess you'd be at moderate also.
  • Sonic_1971
    Options
    Id say moderate exercise too.

Ive just started the TDEE - 20% and I have myself down as light exercise - I exercise 3 x per week - twice with a PT doing mainly strength training and a bit of light cardio and once a week on my own doing an hour of pure cardio. Other than that I have a desk job so sit on my bum all day !
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert at all (and suggest maybe asking in one of the threads with more knowledgeable people!), but it sounds like you are doing a lot of exercise (11 sessions a week?), so it has to be at LEAST moderate. I don't know how hard those sessions work you. Moderate could even be too low, and perhaps you should go be going for strenuous/heavy which would give you over 1700 calories.

The figure you get is total calories, not net (because you've used your exercise in the calculation).